Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Originally Posted by THR
Is that a taboo-subject in NZ to ask what your great-great-grandfather was sentenced for to be shipped to NZ?
Not at all, below are links to my grt,grt,grt Grand father who was transported for ? stealing a silver mug.

That's how Briatain conquered Australia. They rounded up people for quite minor matters, whipped them into slavery and shipped them off to build a mew colony.

They tried to do the same with NZ but they couldn't outsmart the northern Maori

http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~rco...JohnIrving.htm

http://www.geocities.com/irvingclannz/
Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Not at all, below are links to my grt,grt,grt Grand father who was transported for ? stealing a silver mug.

That's how Briatain conquered Australia. They rounded up people for quite minor matters, whipped them into slavery and shipped them off to build a mew colony.

They tried to do the same with NZ but they couldn't outsmart the northern Maori

http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~rcowan/genealogy/JohnIrving.htm

http://www.geocities.com/irvingclannz/
Never mind all that. Where's the photo ?

It is amazing what folks got transported for really isn't it. I just explored one or two possible connections within my Irish ancestry and it seems one of those possible connections got shipped out for killing a horse with intent to use it's skin.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 9th 2009 at 3:20 am.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:26 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Never mind all that. Where's the photo ?

It is amazing what folks got transported for really isn't it. I just explored one or two possible connections within my Irish ancestry and it seems one of those possible connections got shipped out for killing a horse with intent to use it's skin.
Were they sentenced in Kilkenny? In 1847? That's what I found! That was the 'Black' year of the famine so there's all sorts of reasons for it I suppose. Just a wee bit on the weird side tho'
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:13 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting, thanks for the links.

I wonder how common was it for the authorities to fabricate some "evidence" to get someone who they didn't like to get convicted of an offence and removed out of the country.