Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Superannuation changes....

Superannuation changes....

Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Superannuation changes....

Originally Posted by jmh
It catches expats who were born and educated here and then took off overseas, donating their tax to other governments, and then returning at the end of their lives and living off the NZ government without contributing anything.
Yep thats me :-) though I contributed for 10 years before 'taking off'. I would have had to wait another 3+ years for Super if I hadn't been entitled to a UK State pension.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:26 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you have to do 5 years after the age of 50 to qualify.

"But new migrants to qualify will need to be here for 20 years - up from 10 years now - with five of those after they turn 50"
so latest to qualify you would need to be 35 yrs old or under?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
It catches expats who were born and educated here and then took off overseas, donating their tax to other governments, and then returning at the end of their lives and living off the NZ government without contributing anything.
There was no mention of any change for people born here only 'new migrants'
Old Mar 9th 2017, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There was no mention of any change for people born here only 'new migrants'
Also not clear how it applies to those countries with reciprocal agreements (including the UK), where exchanging one govt pension for another - and if that's the UK, presumably there's some exchange - or do the respective govts win some/lose some?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Also not clear how it applies to those countries with reciprocal agreements (including the UK), where exchanging one govt pension for another - and if that's the UK, presumably there's some exchange - or do the respective govts win some/lose some?
In reality I expect that most immigrants and bring way more to NZ than they take - particularly since a large portion of pensions costs will be offset with reciprocal arrangements. It seems to me to be just a bit of the usual election year migrant bashing, so that Johnny English can appear like he's doing something about us bloody immigrants that keep coming over here stealing jobs, houses and pensions.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
In reality I expect that most immigrants and bring way more to NZ than they take - particularly since a large portion of pensions costs will be offset with reciprocal arrangements. It seems to me to be just a bit of the usual election year migrant bashing, so that Johnny English can appear like he's doing something about us bloody immigrants that keep coming over here stealing jobs, houses and pensions.
Most migrants are coming from India & China.

Do they have equivalent pension schemes that are reciprocal?

Last I heard from National was they were very welcoming of migrants as they boost total GDP (not per capita though) and keep wages suppressed.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

I do wish that, when they mention these things on the news, they also remember to mention that immigrants from some countries (including the UK) have a state pension from their country of origin which is either taken or transfered to the NZ government in exchange for the Super here. Implying that all immigrants are 'taking' super here is a little misleading.