Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Popular Kiwi Sayings

Popular Kiwi Sayings

Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:11 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Popular Kiwi Sayings

Has anyone mentioned giving someone the bash? Or pashing?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Or having a 'perv'
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:22 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

The best one i heard from a recent migrant was.

He and his wife went to his new boss's house for a Barbie BBQ and once inside the front door the Kiwi boss asked this guys wife " would you like to come and sit on me dick?" she immediately went over to her husband and said " did you hear what the dirty bastard asked me to do?" but the Kiwi guy then beckoned them out doors at the back of the house onto the DECK !! they nearly wee'd themselves.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:41 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
The best one i heard from a recent migrant was.

He and his wife went to his new boss's house for a Barbie BBQ and once inside the front door the Kiwi boss asked this guys wife " would you like to come and sit on me dick?" she immediately went over to her husband and said " did you hear what the dirty bastard asked me to do?" but the Kiwi guy then beckoned them out doors at the back of the house onto the DECK !! they nearly wee'd themselves.
Love having these discussions at work have taught people how to say joghurt, pasta and nachos correctly and convinced everyone that we say tit-tantic and not ty-tanic after all you don't say nice pair of tyts do you ?
Slowly converting a small part of NZ.....
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:18 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

As an avid listener to Newstalk ZB - "The Voice of New Zealand" (for the benefit of those not here yet, Newstalk ZB is to radio what The Daily Mail is to newspapers!) I always enjoy hearing Good Kiwi Jokers getting all hot under the collar when they call in. It's a bit like the Jeremy Vine Show but without the censorship. As a rule though, when the DJ agrees with the caller (this happens rarely, mind!) he will conclude the call with that most Kiwi classic: "GOOD ON YA!".

Of course, you mustn't actually SAY the word "Good" when using this phrase or they'll all know you're a pom. You GROWL the word, so it's "GRRRRR! on ya!"

Takes practice, but listen the Newstalk ZB a lot and you'll soon get the hang of it. Just don't turn into a fascist in the process!

Anyways, one of my favourite Kiwi sayings:

"To toss ones cookies" - means to vomit dramatically

veges - vegetables
sammies - sandwiches
rellies - the family

Oh, and don't forget to add "ay" on the end of every sentence ay?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Shiny Alex is on a distinguished road

Another that made me chuckle,

My Bosses daughter was up for the day and brought her dog along called Jess, Oh how I laughed hearing her calling out for 'Jizz' and thinking what a strange name for a dog
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:12 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Barpolo
Rocking on!

As in " I'm gonna rock on down to the shops ".

It doesen't mean getting your air guitar out and givin it your best Status Quo as you go and buy a loaf of brid.....

It simply means I am going down to the shops.

how disappointing?

B

Maybe I've had too much wine, but I can't stop laughing at that.

It's all amusing for me, because I'm Australian, and Australians say almost all of these things too.

I actually don't use much regional slang because I've been an expat for too long, but I'm glad I'm not going to be struggling when I settle in Wellington soon.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:16 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Or pashing?

Grrr, I HATE that with a passion.:curse::curse:

Even when I was a little primary schooler in Australia I remember how much I hated that phrase.

It just seems obscene to me. I don't know why.

I've banned it from use in my presence.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

TOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
The idea of this thread is to inaugurate those folks coming to NZ into the true way of talking Kiwi. As per a previous thread, it seems that we've all picked up a few of the local sayings so I want to see what else is out there. So all pitch in with those that you've heard since your arrival:

I'll start with one I particularly like and that's: Good value

It's said in a phrase like - 'Oh, that Dave, he's good value he is.' I like it as it contains approval, affiliation, and friendship. You know that you've pretty much made it in Kiwi-land when you hear that you've been descibed as being of 'good value' by someone. It's never said in front of the person being deemed of value, and the actual value itself is never revealed ($10... $20... $100?!!!?) but it is all in all a positive thing.

Anyone got any more to share? I can think of at least 10 but I'll try and hold them in for now.

Fire away...
i arrived in nz on 20th jan and ive started saying hey at the end of some sentances.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:41 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

What about:
'it's not that flash'?
as in
the weather isn't looking too flash for tomorrow
and the one that REALLY annoys the crap out of me:
'brought' instead of 'bought'.
So someone just 'brought' a house'.........where did they bring it from? Auckland perchance? :curse:
Ah, the joys of a Kiwi partner...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:55 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
So someone just 'brought' a house'.........where did they bring it from? Auckland perchance? :curse:
Maybe they did - house movers and all that! Unlikely though.

People in IT often say a server "shat itself" when it crashed
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:19 am
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Its not really a Kiwi Phrase, but I do love -

"eigs for brikfast"

or when on Air New Zealand the the flight attendant comes round to

"Colict the hidsits"

or when i'm siting on the wooden platform outside, i'm sitting on my ........ well you work it out

Oh, we laugh regulary at the strange manner of vowel usage in NZ!!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:35 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nearly nurse

Oh, we laugh regulary at the strange manner of vowel usage in NZ!!
Resurrecting an old thread, but I truly had a language hiccup last week in the bakers. I'd never purchased bread from a bakery, usually just grab some in the supermarket. In I go and ask for a loaf off the shelves behind the server. "Do you want it sliced?"
"Yes please" says I.
"Toasted sandwich?" He asks
"No thanks, just the bread please."
"Toasted sandwich?" (Loon thinks I.)
"No, the loaf?" (WTF?)
Lady behind the counter thankfully interjects with;
"Sliced for toast or sandwiches?"

Ahhhhh .....
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

BexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really nice

So when I was first in NZ, I went to help at a youth event where they were having 'Pegs' on their tee-shirts for a game. But the leader didn't have the pegs out when he was explaining it, so I thought everyone was having PIGS on their tee-shirts.....I was soooo confused, I had to laugh when he pulled out a bucket of pegs....hahahahhaa.....
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

bit of a dag: hard case; comedian; joker

hard case: joker; comedian

Wanna brush up on your Kiwi slang, go here....

http://www.chemistry.co.nz/kiwi.htm

http://www.nz.com/new-zealand/guide-...ictionary.aspx

Each generation seems to have their own language.

e.g. my youngest sons

bags not (and thumb to forehead) : I don't want to do it (last thumb to forhead does it).

Sppose: I suppose

Woteva: whatever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.