Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Popular Kiwi Sayings

Popular Kiwi Sayings

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:45 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Popular Kiwi Sayings

The idea of this thread is to inaugurate those folks coming to NZ into the true way of talking Kiwi. As per a previous thread, it seems that we've all picked up a few of the local sayings so I want to see what else is out there. So all pitch in with those that you've heard since your arrival:

I'll start with one I particularly like and that's: Good value

It's said in a phrase like - 'Oh, that Dave, he's good value he is.' I like it as it contains approval, affiliation, and friendship. You know that you've pretty much made it in Kiwi-land when you hear that you've been descibed as being of 'good value' by someone. It's never said in front of the person being deemed of value, and the actual value itself is never revealed ($10... $20... $100?!!!?) but it is all in all a positive thing.

Anyone got any more to share? I can think of at least 10 but I'll try and hold them in for now.

Fire away...
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:08 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Popular Kiwi Sayings

Bring a plate

Meaning: bring food.

Explanation: Bring a plate tends to be used at BBQ's, parties etc. If someone was to have a BBQ and you said to them "what can I bring". The answer is "bring a plate"

Which then needs to be elaborated on. Usually a plate load or tray load of salads, savouries, finger foods or meats. CLARIFY. If they suggest bring a plate, then ask "salad or dessert" for instance.

It does not mean an empty plate because the host has run out of dishes.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
The idea of this thread is to inaugurate those folks coming to NZ into the true way of talking Kiwi. As per a previous thread, it seems that we've all picked up a few of the local sayings so I want to see what else is out there. So all pitch in with those that you've heard since your arrival:

It's said in a phrase like - 'Oh, that Dave, he's good value he is.' I like it as it contains approval, affiliation, and friendship. You know that you've pretty much made it in Kiwi-land when you hear that you've been descibed as being of 'good value' by someone. It's never said in front of the person being deemed of value, and the actual value itself is never revealed ($10... $20... $100?!!!?) but it is all in all a positive thing.

Anyone got any more to share? I can think of at least 10 but I'll try and hold them in for now.

Fire away...
I keep getting told I'm a "dag." At least I think that's what they're saying ... it could be "dog?" I'm not entirely sure what "dag" means ...
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:44 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

dags are the pooey bits of wool that gather behind a sheeps bum.

It's a compliment. Don't worry
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

A box of fluffies - as in I'm feelling like a box of fluffy ducks. (Feeling great, on top of the world)

Did you get a park? A what? A car park? No, I found a parking space I did not get a whole car park to myself.

Flat out! Everyone's bloomin 'flat out' and 'flicking' things on, e-mails or whatever, if they're not flicking they're tweaking something. If I hear the word tweak one more time ... :curse:

Rapt or wrapped? I'm so not stoked that you are rapt!

Shoot through, as in 'I think he's shot through. Means they've buggered orf early.

Varsity - whatever happened to university then?

A bottle of piss (beer)

Lux = hoover or vacuum

Another one I hear all too often that really gets my heckles up. Err, could you 'background' that for me? It means, actually I'm a useless twit who hasn't got a clue, so please would you educate me. :curse:
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:09 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

They're great! Flicking - yeah, that's an odd one, and the whole 'park' thing freaked me out for a while there as I had no clue.

I kept calling the vacuum the 'hoover' at work and every time I did the whole office pissed themselves.

FFS - it's a F'ing hoover innit?! A lux? Load of bow-lux more like

Any more for any more....?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:10 am
Just Joined

joandmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton

Fire away...
Although not living in NZ at the moment (just in the process of planning the great move) - I have had the pleasure of being married to a Kiwi for the last 14 years and list a few phrases that have worked their way into our every day conversation:-

lollies - very confusing

pack a sad = in a temper/having a hissy fit - what's that all about???

Milking with Murray - a stock answer from the Kiwi when asked where we are going? Can anyone throw a light on this as OH is very vague about its origins - possibly came from a Kiwi advert?

Gumboots = wellingtons

Jo
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
dags are the pooey bits of wool that gather behind a sheeps bum.

It's a compliment. Don't worry
Great - just what I always wanted to remind people of!

This is a good thread as I am trying to write my presentation for the morning in Kiwi speak ...

Perhaps someone can translate ...

"Good to see so many of you here this morning. This property is absolutely fabulous. You'll see it on Tuesday - prepare to be bowled over. It is an electic mix of old meets new, a character cottage that has been renovated, extended and yet retains many original features. My vendors are serious about selling hence it going to auction. In the heart of downtown, this is a rarity. Get your buyers through."

My translation thus far is ;

"You guys are amazing giving up your morning when you could be catching a wave Dudes, sweet as. This place is awesome. I'll get you through Tuesday - prepared to be knocked out. It's a mean as batch that they want to flick on, with that beachy feel but sadly no sea peeps. My guys would be stoked if you sold it for them. Who wouldn't be rapt to live downtown? I know I can rely on you, you dags ..."

For my Essex colleague the translation reads as;

"They want it ****ing sold mate."
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I often look like a 'stunned mullet', when I don't understand what is being said!

I'm not feeling too flash, it's hosing down, (raining) the truck shat itself (broke down) and then I had to 'go hard' to find the Gladwrap (clingfilm).
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I often look like a 'stunned mullet', when I don't understand what is being said!

I'm not feeling too flash, it's hosing down, (raining) the truck shat itself (broke down) and then I had to 'go hard' to find the Gladwrap (clingfilm).
Ooo, ooo, don't forget "rip into it .."
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:03 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Someone has to degrade this thread, might as well be me.

One for the older kids as they will come across it frequently.
Gonna have a root, had a root, want a root = intercourse

couldn't degrade it totally
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"You guys are awesome giving up your morning when you could be catching a wave Dudes, sweet as. This place is a beaut. I'll get you through Tuesday - prepared to be 'blowen away'. Its a wee cracker of a bach that these guys want to flick on, with that beach house feel, but sadly no peeps of the ocean. My guys would be stoked if you could flick it on for them. Who wouldn't be rapt to live downtown? I know you guys will bust a gut, Go for your lives, you dags ...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:08 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

1. i think Lux and Hoover is regional (vaguely recalled from distant readings in times past). If ya think about it, both are calling an item by a brand name. But put it this way, my grandmother would call it a hoover. i call it a vacuum.
2. Never actually noticed 'park' was different. What did you call it in the UK? I can't even recall what I used but am wondering about confused looks....
3. Flick is common too in Australia. No idea. Maybe flicking boogers has the same effect as flicking an email. Nobody particularly wants to receive one.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:05 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Its not really a Kiwi Phrase, but I do love -

"eigs for brikfast"

or when on Air New Zealand the the flight attendant comes round to

"Colict the hidsits"

or when i'm siting on the wooden platform outside, i'm sitting on my ........ well you work it out

Last edited by NakiMan; Jul 4th 2008 at 6:09 am.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

This always amuses me on the news reports (although please note not the story itself)....when someone has been attacked, they have been bashed.....another news reporter "All Black was yet again up to argy bargy and may be sent to the sin bin"....hilarious! You would never hear that on the BBC!

Another popular one is to throw a tanty. And everything is just always full on at work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.