Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Collapse of Economics

The Ongoing Collapse of Economics

Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Ongoing Collapse of Economics

"If we accept the rapidly growing body of evidence and authority suggesting that many of the core concepts of conventional macroeconomics are bollox, and that economists don’t really know what they’re doing, then the important question becomes ‘What next?’ As conventional macroeconomic theory crumbles in the face of facts, what will replace it?''

The Ongoing Collapse of Economics - Graham Caswell
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Collapse of Economics

Originally Posted by LoCarb
"If we accept the rapidly growing body of evidence and authority suggesting that many of the core concepts of conventional macroeconomics are bollox, and that economists don’t really know what they’re doing, then the important question becomes ‘What next?’ As conventional macroeconomic theory crumbles in the face of facts, what will replace it?''

The Ongoing Collapse of Economics - Graham Caswell
Economics has never really recovered from determining that humans don't make rational decisions. There are too many micro variables and that rolls out into the macro level (a bit like climate 'science')

I have a Masters in Economics and would be the first to admit most economics is 'best guess' and can be heavily flavoured by politics and the fashion of the month/year. You can always find expert economists concurrently prophesying boom or bust (most aren't millionaires either).

An example, the OECD, IMF and UK OBR all rapidly revising their forecasts for the effect of Brexit from instant doom to possible growth.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that much management of money and economies over the past 50-60 years was based on the assumption that certain economic theories were true. ..... Therefore, surprise surprise, economies behaved broadly as if the economic theories on which the decisions were based, were true. It was circular reasoning if there ever was!

Then 2008-2009 broke us out of that circle, which had already been weakening for at least a decade, longer if you're talking about Japan. Now what?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kotare
Economics has never really recovered from determining that humans don't make rational decisions.
But this is the foundation stone of neoclassical economic theory.

The whole theory is based on "rational expectations".

But as an economist you would know this already
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Can any of you bods just tell me when the bloody £ will strengthen please?!!
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
Can any of you bods just tell me when the bloody £ will strengthen please?!!
About 2020 - but the $NZ might weaken before that depending whether you believe in the 3/7/15/28.5 year cycle or peak gold production Hang on I saw another theory yesterday ...
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

About 2020 - but the $NZ might weaken before that depending whether you believe in the 3/7/15/28.5 year cycle or peak gold production Hang on I saw another theory yesterday ...
😆 Thanks. Er, I think.

A 1 day cycle would do me. in case anyone of influence is reading this, a weakening of the $NZ for a 24 hour period (notified to this forum 1 week in advance preferably) would be very helpful,thank you.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damson
😆 Thanks. Er, I think.

A 1 day cycle would do me. in case anyone of influence is reading this, a weakening of the $NZ for a 24 hour period (notified to this forum 1 week in advance preferably) would be very helpful,thank you.
Can't help - everytime I change £, the £ strengthens by 5c the next day! If you have to change money wait fo a month or so as the RBNZ is forecast to drop the interest rate a bit then.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Can't help - everytime I change £, the £ strengthens by 5c the next day! If you have to change money wait fo a month or so as the RBNZ is forecast to drop the interest rate a bit then.

Tell me about it. We abandoned moving to Oz a few years back when the £/$ hit 1.45!!! Thanks for the tip.

Sorry, back to topic.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

You'd have to think that the NZ exchange rate is deliberately allowed to remain high for the benefit of the finance sector (banks).

According to British economist Ann Pettifor, who was interviewed on RNZ Nine to Noon on Wednesday, two thirds of New Zealand's current account receipts are in the form of hot money pouring into the bond market.

Crash predictor Ann Pettifor: 'We're no longer citizens, we're customers' | Nine To Noon, 10:06 am on 21 September 2016 | Radio New Zealand'

We're being taken to the cleaners by our Australian owned banks.

Perhaps it's time we reintroduced some capital controls

Last edited by LoCarb; Sep 23rd 2016 at 7:41 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair in most sciences accepting that what you'd previously believed was flawed is a great driver of progress and change. If economists didn't see the science itself as broken and incomplete I'd be more alarmed. The scale of our ignorance is likely limitless and always will be.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charismatic
To be fair in most sciences accepting that what you'd previously believed was flawed is a great driver of progress and change. If economists didn't see the science itself as broken and incomplete I'd be more alarmed. The scale of our ignorance is likely limitless and always will be.
Problem... economists don't think what they believe is flawed.
Nor do politicians.

I think you need to be alarmed
Old Sep 24th 2016, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Problem... economists don't think what they believe is flawed.
Nor do politicians.

I think you need to be alarmed
Why, no one in NZ will starve providing they have a 1/4 acre section and a rifle for pigs/deer/rabbits (you do don't you)? No more iPhone7's. Subsistence living, JAFAs on their knees, pensioners who know how to make things and do things on a shoestring to the fore. Great :-) :-)
Old Sep 24th 2016, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Why, no one in NZ will starve providing they have a 1/4 acre section and a rifle for pigs/deer/rabbits (you do don't you)? No more iPhone7's. Subsistence living, JAFAs on their knees, pensioners who know how to make things and do things on a shoestring to the fore. Great :-) :-)
I think you are stuck in the 1950's

Last edited by LoCarb; Sep 24th 2016 at 5:45 am.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

I think you are stuck in the 1960's
Not stuck any where :-) but the 60's was an interesting decade (I was in Vietnam part of it). Come the imminent collapse of civilisation/capitalism as you imply (not going to happen) NZ is probably one of the best countries to be in as large chunks of it are still rurally skilled. Do you have any survival skills/traits out of curiousity :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.