Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

We never had a real honeymoon after getting married for various reasons.

I promised the OH we'd go to Bora Bora when we moved to New Zealand and have our honeymoon.

At the time I said that I had zero intention of moving to New Zealand.

Damn!!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
Living near central Auckland, I find going out to the cinema, theatre and gigs much easier and more convenient
I rarely go, I'd like to go more, but fellow cinema-goers tend to annoy me with their sweet wrapped rustling ... anyway, went to see Skyfall - they tell me cinema in NZ is expensive - London is no different, £13 it cost me, I could have paid another fiver if I wanted the "IMax exeperience".
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I rarely go, I'd like to go more, but fellow cinema-goers tend to annoy me with their sweet wrapped rustling ... anyway, went to see Skyfall - they tell me cinema in NZ is expensive - London is no different, £13 it cost me, I could have paid another fiver if I wanted the "IMax exeperience".
I go to the movies here more than I ever did in the UK. Cheap Tuesdays means a ticket is about $11. I rarely go any other time.

Event Cinemas do a film squad club - free to join and you go to see the movie of the week for $9 per person valid for 2 people. Often there's a couple of movies of the week.

I also bought a copy of the "Entertainment Book" if you like going out to eat, doing stuff with the kids and going to the movies its well worth it - $60 for a book of vouchers to do all sorts valid for the year. I've not used it as much as I should - BUT I have definitely saved over $60 from what I have used so its paid for itself. In that are discount vouchers for the cinema.

I got to see Skyfall for free on tuesday via a mates work thingy - a client hired out a private screening in the Rialto, pre movie drinks and canapes and then the movie with popcorn and icecream - woooo!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Regarding the travel thing, it pretty cool you can jump on a plane and be in a South Pacific paradise within four hours.

Beats 2 weeks in the Med any day.
Absolutely. Aitutaki was paradise. OH had a great time paddling a vaka round the lagoon & heading to a deserted motu. Husking & cracking coconuts, looking for coconut crabs, swimming & snorkelling. Then heading back to the hotel for a cocktail. I dyed my own paraeu (sarong), enjoyed the island dancing & generally had a relaxing time.

Looking forward to visiting a few more islands next year when we go cruising.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We never had a real honeymoon after getting married for various reasons.

I promised the OH we'd go to Bora Bora when we moved to New Zealand and have our honeymoon.

At the time I said that I had zero intention of moving to New Zealand.

Damn!!
I'd love to go to Bora Bora.....one for the future .

I hope you're a gentleman & therefore a man of your word
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:22 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Absolutely. Aitutaki was paradise. OH had a great time paddling a vaka round the lagoon & heading to a deserted motu. Husking & cracking coconuts, looking for coconut crabs, swimming & snorkelling. Then heading back to the hotel for a cocktail. I dyed my own paraeu (sarong), enjoyed the island dancing & generally had a relaxing time.

Looking forward to visiting a few more islands next year when we go cruising.
Lucky you, but not everyone can afford to go travelling from NZ!

Having said that hopefully going for a first out of NZ holiday next year to Rarotonga!!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided that for my next birthday, I want to travel to Raro on my birthday, then I will get there the day before my birthday and wake up the next day and it will be my birthday all over again!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by love30stm
Lucky you, but not everyone can afford to go travelling from NZ!

Having said that hopefully going for a first out of NZ holiday next year to Rarotonga!!
Yes we are very lucky but we have given up other things to do it. I accept that an awful lot of people aren't able to do it & that sucks big time.

For me & OH, spoiling ourselves with a nice holiday once a year is our treat for not having been able to have children. I love my holidays but we would've given all that up to be able to have children. We did without holidays for a good number of years in the UK whilst paying for IVF treatment. That was our priority then & I don't regret it but having a holiday once a year is our priority now.

You'll love Raro, it's sooooo relaxing. Anything you want to know & I'm happy to help.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd love to go to Bora Bora.....one for the future .

I hope you're a gentleman & therefore a man of your word
I turn 30 a couple of weeks after arriving in NZ, would it be remiss of me to have a honeymoon/30th birthday treat to myself to go to Bora Bora?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:49 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we are very lucky but we have given up other things to do it. I accept that an awful lot of people aren't able to do it & that sucks big time.

For me & OH, spoiling ourselves with a nice holiday once a year is our treat for not having been able to have children. I love my holidays but we would've given all that up to be able to have children. We did without holidays for a good number of years in the UK whilst paying for IVF treatment. That was our priority then & I don't regret it but having a holiday once a year is our priority now.

You'll love Raro, it's sooooo relaxing. Anything you want to know & I'm happy to help.
Yes I guess, I don't think I would have been living in New Zealand if I had no kids that's for sure!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

London is NOT in any way comparable to Auckland. London is a big world city, Auckland a small town. Better to compare Auckland to Manchester maybe. Anyhow, in Munich cinema tickets are $10 in Auckland $20 for Skyfall. There are however a lot of possibilities to get it for cheaper. One just needs to be frugal, look around search and be prepared to have less spontaneity. One such thing is the movie night in Silo Park. If (!) the weather is nice to go there, have something to eat, sit in the grass and watch a movie is really nice.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I don't agree with that.....with the time difference/zones and cost of getting there, plus the cost once you are there (so i have heard) it doesn't hold masses of appeal to me. But then, i'm not a person who likes to spend a week just sitting on a beach. I'd love to see the pacific islands but can't really justify the cost of the holiday there - would rather go elsewhere.

But that's my choice - each to their own as they say.
I agree. South Pacific Islands are indeed very beautiful. But how many times do you want to go there?? Once, yes, twice, maybe....3 or 4 times, no thank you. But Australia is nearby too and that is a really interesting country to travel to! Has real cities and grand nature. Nice combination. But I still prefer the travel opportunities that we have from Europe. Much more diverse.

Last edited by Assanah; Dec 7th 2012 at 7:25 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:44 am
Account Closed

I turn 30 a couple of weeks after arriving in NZ, would it be remiss of me to have a honeymoon/30th birthday treat to myself to go to Bora Bora?
It most certainly would & quite rude too
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by love30stm
Yes I guess, I don't think I would have been living in New Zealand if I had no kids that's for sure!
Charming! With all due respect, how do you know how you would feel or what you would do if you couldn't have kids
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Assanah
I agree. South Pacific Islands are indeed very beautiful. But how many times do you want to go there?? Once, yes, twice, maybe....3 or 4 times, no thank you. But Australia is nearby too and that is a really interesting country to travel to! Has real cities and grand nature. Nice combination. But I still prefer the travel opportunities that we have from Europe. Much more diverse.
Horses for courses but been to Raro 3 times now & got to know more each time, not just about the island but about the people too. I would happily go again but there are other places I want to go to as well.

I think geography has a lot to do with the diversity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.