Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:07 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Can afford a lot more of what? From our 7 years experience the only things cheaper here are petrol (only just now) & car insurance. You can buy a lot more in housing terms, but that depends on where you settle here & where you came from in the UK. Most expat families we know are either mortgage free, very low mortgage or are renting for just over $100/week.
I'm talking in terms of property. They seem to have a lot more space and land and can afford it on their NZ salaries with a modest deposit. From living in Somerset, Dorset, London and near Manchester I can safely say that they are getting a lot more bang for their buck.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:12 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infern0
It's certainly not Cheese, bread or milk you can buy more of, i'll tell you that much

Or a beer
No, not this stuff. I was talking in terms of property on the south island, mainly Christchurch...
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Infern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I'm talking in terms of property. They seem to have a lot more space and land and can afford it on their NZ salaries with a modest deposit. From living in Somerset, Dorset, London and near Manchester I can safely say that they are getting a lot more bang for their buck.
Houses are cheaper due to build quality.

It's all relevant, Brick build, cavity insulation, central heating, double glazing. if you want something like that over here it's going to cost you a fortune.

Most houses are a wrapped wooden frame covered in plasterboard, if you bang your knuckles on your wall right now, chances are it's hollow.

Even the wiring and electrics are shoddy over here, roofing standards are lower, flat roofs are cheap butenoyl rather than torched on Ashphelt that will last a lifetime, so things like upkeep costs more.

Trying not to be negative, just offering some perspective.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:25 am
She'll be right

Houses are cheaper due to build quality.

It's all relevant, Brick build, cavity insulation, central heating, double glazing. if you want something like that over here it's going to cost you a fortune.

Most houses are a wrapped wooden frame covered in plasterboard.

Even the wiring and electrics are shoddy over here, roofing standards are lower, flat roofs are cheap butenoyl rather than torched on Ashphelt that will last a lifetime, so things like upkeep costs more.

Trying not to be negative, just offering some perspective.
Yes I can appreciate your perspective and do take it on board. Although my plans do not involve living in Auckland and I am under the impression there is a problem with housing quality vs price there. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And as Bourbon Biscuit said previously there seems to be a problem with high house prices in Wellington too. Perhaps it's just as well I'm headed for Chch (apart from the quakes!)

The family and friends I have in Chch all have brick, insulated, double glazed but heat pumps instead of central heating (I didn't think GCH existed in NZ?!). Non have complained about the quality of housing and seem pretty satisfied with their lot. They have achieved this and they are not on huge salaries. They have good salaries but are by no means rich, which is where I see the OH and I being.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Infern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Yes I can appreciate your perspective and do take it on board. Although my plans do not involve living in Auckland and I am under the impression there is a problem with housing quality vs price there. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And as Bourbon Biscuit said previously there seems to be a problem with high house prices in Wellington too. Perhaps it's just as well I'm headed for Chch (apart from the quakes!)

The family and friends I have in Chch all have brick, insulated, double glazed but heat pumps instead of central heating (I didn't think GCH existed in NZ?!). Non have complained about the quality of housing and seem pretty satisfied with their lot. They have achieved this and they are not on huge salaries. They have good salaries but are by no means rich, which is where I see the OH and I being.
From what I have heard, Christchurch is a very nice place, and if you can get good prices on housing that's great. The build quality is most likely better there due to the cold weather during winter.

Here in the upper north island, the build quality isn't such a problem during summer, but in winter you certainly feel the cold. Well, it's like a microwave in summer nights and an ice box during winter

House pricing, from what I see isn't too bad but at the moment I am flatting as it's ridiculously cheap, and I will be setting off overseas in the new year.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:45 am
She'll be right

From what I have heard, Christchurch is a very nice place, and if you can get good prices on housing that's great. The build quality is most likely better there due to the cold weather during winter.

Here in the upper north island, the build quality isn't such a problem during summer, but in winter you certainly feel the cold. Well, it's like a microwave in summer nights and an ice box during winter

House pricing, from what I see isn't too bad but at the moment I am flatting as it's ridiculously cheap, and I will be setting off overseas in the new year.
Yes, I sort of unexpectedly fell in love with Chch! I really had no intention of moving to NZ until I had finished my trip there and now I'm headed back in 8 weeks

Good point about house build quality on the south island, I would imagine because of the differing climates there will be differences in house build as you say.

Good luck with the move overseas!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:43 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are an example of being unrealistic about NZ and the UK

When they were in their 40's we lived in Kent, my dad enjoyed his work and was well paid, they had a great social life, would always be at the pub on a sunday lunchtime with friends, going out for a meal on friday nights, having and going to parties, being down the village fete in summertime etc.

In their late 40's they moved to Lincolnshire as a result of some hare-brained scheme, and didn't fit in, they found it small, insular community, didn't have the social life or their jobs, and family was a 3 hour drive away and didnt see them often. But they started doing foster care, and although they didnt like the job, the money was good, so they stayed there for about 6 years, doing that.

Then they decide to move to NZ, saying it will be a "better life"

They have the same problems here, fitting in not being able to make good friends and have a social life, they just sit in and watch TV, while their friends back in kent are uploading pictures on facebook of parties, trips out with friends etc, my mum will sit and look at these pictures for hours.

But my parents talk bad about the uk all the time, but really... they are talking bad about lincolnshire, a result of their poor decision making.

They could go back to the uk, back to kent and fit straight back in, in fact their friends and family always suggest this!

But my parents say "you can never go back" and sit in front of the tv every night, wasting the years.

I think for them, going back would be like the ultimate admission of defeat, especially as they peddled this vision of such a wonderful and fantastic life that was waiting for them, in the land of the long white cloud.

I know im sounding harsh, but i'm honest and realistic, it just annoys me when people don't accept they made mistakes, and prefer to nonsensically blame a country for their problems.
Knowing how the property market has moved in the time they have been away from Kent, going back may not be quite as easy for them as you suggest.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:53 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

It's certainly not Cheese, bread or milk you can buy more of, i'll tell you that much

Or a beer
Wines good value though and good
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are an example of being unrealistic about NZ and the UK

When they were in their 40's we lived in Kent, my dad enjoyed his work and was well paid, they had a great social life, would always be at the pub on a sunday lunchtime with friends, going out for a meal on friday nights, having and going to parties, being down the village fete in summertime etc.

In their late 40's they moved to Lincolnshire as a result of some hare-brained scheme, and didn't fit in, they found it small, insular community, didn't have the social life or their jobs, and family was a 3 hour drive away and didnt see them often. But they started doing foster care, and although they didnt like the job, the money was good, so they stayed there for about 6 years, doing that.

Then they decide to move to NZ, saying it will be a "better life"

They have the same problems here, fitting in not being able to make good friends and have a social life, they just sit in and watch TV, while their friends back in kent are uploading pictures on facebook of parties, trips out with friends etc, my mum will sit and look at these pictures for hours.

But my parents talk bad about the uk all the time, but really... they are talking bad about lincolnshire, a result of their poor decision making.

They could go back to the uk, back to kent and fit straight back in, in fact their friends and family always suggest this!

But my parents say "you can never go back" and sit in front of the tv every night, wasting the years.

I think for them, going back would be like the ultimate admission of defeat, especially as they peddled this vision of such a wonderful and fantastic life that was waiting for them, in the land of the long white cloud.

I know im sounding harsh, but i'm honest and realistic, it just annoys me when people don't accept they made mistakes, and prefer to nonsensically blame a country for their problems.

And now the parents will 'lose' their son as well. But I guess that is the fate of many who emigrated to New Zealand. They left their parents behind and now their children will do the same to them.
Anyhow, I have heard similar complaints from older Germans in NZ too. They feel stuck, would prefer to go back, but for many reasons they can't or won't. But maybe your parents will return to the UK once you are living in London!
Good luck with your move to London. Great city! My favourite in Europe.

Last edited by Assanah; Dec 5th 2012 at 7:03 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Wines good value though and good
+1
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
For what it's worth;

I've got no major beef with living here in London, in fact I enjoy it daily, but that isn't reason enough to make me stay over heading in to a new adventure. If I'm honest, I'm living a fairly uneventful, but stable life.

There is no doubting that there is more to do in London than there is in any town or city in NZ - but to be honest in my 7 years living in London I've been to the theatre 4 or 5 times, have been to a museum on about the same number of occasions. I rarely actually DO anything that London has to offer, I tend to frequent the same restaurants (though I will try a recommendation) and I have a few pubs I go to in various parts of North and West London.

Other than that I go to work, play sport, watch sport (often paying through the nose for it), cycle and take my daughter to the park - all of which I can do in most, if not all western societies.

Frankly, if the move to NZ doesn't work out for any reason coming back to London is failure plan A, but let's see what NZ holds for us first, eh?
Just to chuck my 2 cents in here.....

For me my cost of living housing wise is much cheaper than when i was in London.
I lived in a 3 bedroom shared townhouse in Fulham and paid 700 quid a month in rent
I now live in a self contained studio flat in Mt Eden Auckland and pay $920 a month in rent.

I'd also say that I think I agree with TommyLucks point re the living in London thing. But would also like to put in travel there as well.

I was born and bred as a Londoner - well the suburbs anyway - but worked in central London most of my adult life. As kids our parents took us to a west end musical for our birthdays and obviously to the tourist attractions etc, but as an adult I hardly ever took advantage of these opportunities on my doorstep.

Living near central Auckland, I find going out to the cinema, theatre and gigs much easier and more convenient - there aren't the crowds and the crushes, the transport and parking issues. Ok there are some - but nothing like in London. I keep expecting these crazy crowds of people and queues to do things - then remember I live in a country of 4.5 million not 62 million.

I do think about how expensive it is to travel to places from NZ and that you can't hop off to europe for a weekend away.........then I realise that I have NEVER done a city break to somewhere in Europe for a long weekend. Don't get me wrong - course i've been to a fair few places in Europe, but I was never one to do the weekends in Barcelona. I'd do weekends visiting friends in Leeds or something.

that's all i'll chip in here for now!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:33 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the travel thing, it pretty cool you can jump on a plane and be in a South Pacific paradise within four hours.

Beats 2 weeks in the Med any day.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Regarding the travel thing, it pretty cool you can jump on a plane and be in a South Pacific paradise within four hours.

Beats 2 weeks in the Med any day.
I don't agree with that.....with the time difference/zones and cost of getting there, plus the cost once you are there (so i have heard) it doesn't hold masses of appeal to me. But then, i'm not a person who likes to spend a week just sitting on a beach. I'd love to see the pacific islands but can't really justify the cost of the holiday there - would rather go elsewhere.

But that's my choice - each to their own as they say.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:15 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

About $500 return and $40/pp night.

http://www.lauiulabeachfales.com/index.htm

Pretty good value in my book.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

a friend of mine sent me that link a while ago actually - yeah its ok i guess......but like i say - not for me.....i'd rather save the money and the annual leave going somewhere else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.