Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

robey1978 is just really nicerobey1978 is just really nicerobey1978 is just really nicerobey1978 is just really nicerobey1978 is just really nicerobey1978 is just really nicerobey1978 is just really nicerobey1978 is just really nice
Default Re: NZ vs UK - not all it's cracked up to be. Is it just me?

Folks,

i'd just like to thank you all for your comments and posts. There is a little too many to reply to them all. I think that from what I've read, everyone has a different experience. What is for one person is not for the other. I suppose it also depends on how much you enjoyed your life back in the UK. We did, very much. We are lucky to have very supportive and loving families back home and I think that is the main thing pulling us back. If we loved it here we wouldn't mind paying extra for a beer or not having central heating. I've started the process of applying for jobs back in Scotland so hopefully we can be home for the baby coming.

Good luck to everyone in their own journeys, whether it be here or back in the UK.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Generally I would say that the more you earn generally the more you work – either reflected in stress/pressure and/or more hours.

2 weeks at xmas as opposed to 4 days –well yeah that can be a pain – I have friends who are forced to take a long period of leave at xmas time too - but at least it is in the summer time here rather than the winter time! You do end up with a lot more time off at a great time of year without using up so much annual leave due to where the stat days fall.

Yes cost of living here can be higher with lower standards in housing. Second hand cars are expensive compared to what you get in Europe – that bit is due to being on a island that is really very remote to the rest of the world. These days the world feels smaller as its more accessible in a way – but in real terms of shipping and importing and exporting – New Zealand is a far far far away from the rest of the world.

I think its interesting the comment that reappears again and again about kiwis being reserved and private and most friends are expats. I think the main difference is that other expats are open to making new friends as they are in the same situation as you and looking to build a new life. Kiwis are born and bred here, have their lives all set up. It is hard to break into that – the same as it would be for you in the UK/Scotland – you have your life all there – I’m sure you make new friends here and there but generally you are content with your social circle.

No – it’s not realistic to think you can fly home every year to visit family and friends – the cost is so high and out of reach for the majority of people.

I think the issue that most people have is emigrating to New Zealand and thinking its going to be great as they have heard so many amazing things about the country and thinking that it will be at least a bit similar to the UK, they can fly back and visit on a regular basis etc etc. At the end of the day – its not like that – if you are emigrating your life to the other side of the world that’s where you have to focus your life on being. You don’t find Kiwis planning European holidays every year because its just not possible. Their OE is a massive thing in their lives as they are so far away from the rest of the world its an amazing opportunity. You need to try and focus on what are the good points of your life in New Zealand – what you get out of being here – rather than comparing to your old life in the UK. If you constantly do a comparison to life there and life here its never going to work.

I was thinking to myself this morning about life in the UK and attitudes and about how most people were so grumpy a lot of the time and that its just not the same here. Yes I am generalising and of course it works vice versa too. Yes I have good and bad days but generally – although I find it tougher here making ends meet, affording holidays – I’m generally happier living the quiet life in NZ.

If you are considering going back because you are truly not happy with your lifestyle here and are worried about having your child over here and family support then yes, it probably you should consider going back.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey. Do what you feel is best for you. We all do at the end of the day and so we should without others telling us what we should be doing.

Maybe Oz will fill your needs after all

........and to the rest of you. Chill out ! There is no need to be so harsh with each other is there.

We don't walk in each others shoes do we!

If it doesn't interest you , move on. If it does. Have some thought for those that may not share your view.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:47 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I reckon .... wait for it .... you should go back to Scotland. It really does sound as though you'd be happier there, and that's what counts the most.

Being a kiwi myself, I really wanted to touch on the difficulty you have had creating friendships with kiwis. I think someone else said earlier, that the problem is that most of us already have enough longterm friendships (old schoolfriends, relatives etc) to keep us satisfied socially, which makes it difficult for someone new to break into, and that includes fellow kiwis. Most probably don't realise that you are struggling. Have you asked a fellow worker, or a neighbour to your house for dinner? If so, what do they say? When you went camping, did you ask people in the next tent over for a barbecue or something? Stick the barbie on, throw some sausages on it, have a few loaves of bread and butter handy. You can't go wrong with that! If it was me you were asking, I would have said yes. If they say no, ask the person in the tent across the way. Have you thought about joining a club of some sort? A lions club, for example, is a great place to meet and get to know other people. They're the things that come to mind when I hear people saying that kiwis are so hard to befriend anyway. You've got to be proactive. They can't help get to know you if you join some sort of social club. Kiwi's are basically from the same gene pool as the Brits, so there can't be that much of a difference in terms of friendliness etc .... perhaps I'm wrong ... but that's what I reckon anyway. In fact, I reckon that the citizens of any country in the world are basically as friendly as any other (perhaps except for the Taliban. lol)

Last edited by waikatoguy; Nov 13th 2012 at 8:57 am.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:03 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Well I reckon .... wait for it .... you should go back to Scotland. It really does sound as though you'd be happier there, and that's what counts the most.

Being a kiwi myself, I really wanted to touch on the difficulty you have had creating friendships with kiwis. I think someone else said earlier, that the problem is that most of us already have enough longterm friendships (old schoolfriends, relatives etc) to keep us satisfied socially, which makes it difficult for someone new to break into, and that includes fellow kiwis. Most probably don't realise that you are struggling. Have you asked a fellow worker, or a neighbour to your house for dinner? If so, what do they say? When you went camping, did you ask people in the next tent over for a barbecue or something? Stick the barbie on, throw some sausages on it, have a few loaves of bread and butter handy. You can't go wrong with that! If it was me you were asking, I would have said yes. If they say no, ask the person in the tent across the way. Have you thought about joining a club of some sort? A lions club, for example, is a great place to meet and get to know other people. They're the things that come to mind when I hear people saying that kiwis are so hard to befriend anyway. You've got to be proactive. They can't help get to know you if you join some sort of social club. Kiwi's are basically from the same gene pool as the Brits, so there can't be that much of a difference in terms of friendliness etc .... perhaps I'm wrong ... but that's what I reckon anyway. In fact, I reckon that the citizens of any country in the world are basically as friendly as any other (perhaps except for the Taliban. lol)
You sound like a nice kiwi person shame you don't live in wanganui
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:16 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy

What a great post with some good practical advice.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:21 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
These days the world feels smaller as its more accessible in a way – but in real terms of shipping and importing and exporting – New Zealand is a far far far away from the rest of the world.

I think its interesting the comment that reappears again and again about kiwis being reserved and private and most friends are expats. I think the main difference is that other expats are open to making new friends as they are in the same situation as you and looking to build a new life. Kiwis are born and bred here, have their lives all set up. It is hard to break into that – the same as it would be for you in the UK/Scotland – you have your life all there – I’m sure you make new friends here and there but generally you are content with your social circle.

No – it’s not realistic to think you can fly home every year to visit family and friends – the cost is so high and out of reach for the majority of people.

I think the issue that most people have is emigrating to New Zealand and thinking its going to be great as they have heard so many amazing things about the country and thinking that it will be at least a bit similar to the UK, they can fly back and visit on a regular basis etc etc. At the end of the day – its not like that – if you are emigrating your life to the other side of the world that’s where you have to focus your life on being. k.
Also a great post. We do tend to think of the world as smaller than it is and it is well worth it for emigrants to NZ to consider the remoteness.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:33 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
You sound like a nice kiwi person shame you don't live in wanganui
Haha. Well, wouldn't be great if someone set up a franchise of Brit Expat social clubs throughout the country. There must be pockets of new arrivals in every city that would jump at the chance.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Way more research than I did!

Curious to know why people feel they have to justify their decisions one way or another.

Does it really matter, it's just part of life and what makes you who you are. Stay or go entirely up to the individual circumstances and personalities.

New topics for threads please, maybe ponies, inside leg measurements, proposed changes to the marketing of sweet breads, anything please.
LOL and quite quite true
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I fully intend to play a team sport or two when I arrive in NZ, just as I do in London.

This is such an easy way to meet people, for one thing you've already got one thing in common; the sport you're playing, the rest flows from there and you soon work out who you like spending time with off the field and who you don't.

Also, whilst I understand the complaint about less holiday, but I think we're a little spoilt in the UK - look at holidays in the US, sometimes as low as 10 days!!

And the enforcement of 2 weeks at Christmas, is surely an extreme, depending on the industry? And in any case it's in summer, if you know you're going to be forced to take it, there is plenty of time to plan to make the most of that time off.

That said, you tried and it didn't work for you. So fair play for the effort and being honest to yourself to admit that it hasn't worked out as you hoped it would.

If nothing else, it was an experience you will learn from.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Personally I fully intend to play a team sport or two when I arrive in NZ, just as I do in London.

This is such an easy way to meet people, for one thing you've already got one thing in common; the sport you're playing, the rest flows from there and you soon work out who you like spending time with off the field and who you don't.

Also, whilst I understand the complaint about less holiday, but I think we're a little spoilt in the UK - look at holidays in the US, sometimes as low as 10 days!!

And the enforcement of 2 weeks at Christmas, is surely an extreme, depending on the industry? And in any case it's in summer, if you know you're going to be forced to take it, there is plenty of time to plan to make the most of that time off.

That said, you tried and it didn't work for you. So fair play for the effort and being honest to yourself to admit that it hasn't worked out as you hoped it would.

If nothing else, it was an experience you will learn from.
I keep hearing all these stories about amazing amounts of annual leave in the UK - i don't know who gets this but - and the majority of my friends all had the standard 20 days plus public holidays. I have a friend who works as Cabin Crew for BA and she gets about 30 days i think but that's due to all the travel/time differences/jet lag etc i think.

I think 20 days is fine - and as you say - look at the 10 days the US gets! Oh you also have your "sick days" that you have to use up

The enforced break at Christmas is not so extreme. I've a few friends that have this and its not necessarily industry related - and you can't always plan ahead like that. I've a friend in Real Estate - she's been told she has to take 3 weeks at christmas as the office is closing down. I've heard about a private hospital here who were having major works done and they had to close it for a month over the christmas break - not all the staff were given advance notice - so it was unpaid for some. it also means working the majority of the year with little or no time off. There's also the - what if you don't want to take that time off and use your leave another time for something else? It is a bit of a pain - but just part and parcel of living here.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:53 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

And just because I'd feel utterly disloyal to some wonderful people in not sharing my experience, I have to say I have found Kiwis to be friendly and welcoming and quite open to developing friendships, particularly those that aren't living where they've been born and bred and have lifelong friendships on their doorsteps- understandably!

I have made some very dear Kiwi friends who were there for me during my darkest hour and I'll never forget their care and kindness. I do wonder if my experience differs from so many others because I've only lived quite rural or in a small town? Anyway, I don't think it's globally true that Kiwis are private and hard to gain meaningful friendships with, but I think it's probably true that the playing field is not level when it comes to an expat looking to make friendships with people whose lives are already established and full; the needs of each party are just so different and think it explains why expats often form quite deep friendships with each other. I've made some very close expat chums- not something I imagined I'd be doing before we moved out here.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
And just because I'd feel utterly disloyal to some wonderful people in not sharing my experience, I have to say I have found Kiwis to be friendly and welcoming and quite open to developing friendships, particularly those that aren't living where they've been born and bred and have lifelong friendships on their doorsteps- understandably!

I have made some very dear Kiwi friends who were there for me during my darkest hour and I'll never forget their care and kindness. I do wonder if my experience differs from so many others because I've only lived quite rural or in a small town? Anyway, I don't think it's globally true that Kiwis are private and hard to gain meaningful friendships with, but I think it's probably true that the playing field is not level when it comes to an expat looking to make friendships with people whose lives are already established and full; the needs of each party are just so different and think it explains why expats often form quite deep friendships with each other. I've made some very close expat chums- not something I imagined I'd be doing before we moved out here.
BB i agree with you. I admit - the majority of my friends are expats - ones that I originally made when I first arrived and was living in a hostel and then from there, more that other friends have met and become friendly with and met more and more. I didn't expect to make so many amazing friendships when I got here and its one of the reasons why I feel settled and want to stay.

I've also made some kiwi friends along the way too - these have been meeting them through my local pub - most i'm not that close to, but some of them I am and would count as close friends. Its not been easy and has taken me making the effort to make arrangements to meet up and do things. I also take pottery & ceramic lessons as a hobby. I go to class once a week and the class I go to is very social. Gradually over the last year I've got more and more friendly with the people there - and in honesty - its me that's probably holding up getting to know them better than them. They're all a friendly bunch and I could get more involved than I am.

I have to admit - if I didn't have the friendships I had made - would I particularly be so content and want to stay here? no probably not. It makes a massive impact on your life - but you do have to get out there and make a big effort to do it.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:08 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

My very closest friends here are Kiwis but they are all Kiwis that have either travelled and worked extensively or were brought to NZ by their parents when they were very young. Perhaps it's down to their sense of adventure, their experiences in being "not quite" in their homeland or a kindred spirit of trying something new?

As far as annual leave goes the entitlement here is generally lower, the law changed to require 4 weeks of annual leave just before we arrived in 2007 AFIK.

Most professionals will have been given 5 weeks in the UK. In NZ it seems that most are given 4 weeks, long service and seniority don't seem to count for as much, if at all here, MrsL got up to nearly 6 weeks for all that.

As your sick time almost always comes out of a sick leave allocation here then this annual leave can be taken up by being ill by your kids being ill, etc. whereas in the UK many employers historically allowed sick leave outside of any allowance. Then there were special leave types, leave for family illnesses (kids), etc. Here that comes out of sick, annual or unpaid leave. As far as I can tell the only type of leave in NZ that is more generous is following the death of a family member.

But then I work for myself now so I don't have leave as such, just flexible working arrangements.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
My very closest friends here are Kiwis but they are all Kiwis that have either travelled and worked extensively or were brought to NZ by their parents when they were very young. Perhaps it's down to their sense of adventure, their experiences in being "not quite" in their homeland or a kindred spirit of trying something new?
Same here. I met great Kiwis but most either have lived abroad or are in the process of leaving.
I lived in several countries before coming here and in several different cities in Germany, never had problems in making friends even tough people were all well settled and established in their home country/town with friends and families. But NZ is more difficult. I think you either fit NZ streamline culture or you will be in trouble. There is not much social variety here, not many options for people that want to live differently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.