Monthly Book Club

Old May 20th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Book Club

When you have finished this first book, may I suggest the Edmonds Cook Book as essential NZ reading...
Old May 20th 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Just arrived,have 2 hours to sit at judo classes tonight so will try to start it then,miss

Phyl x
Old May 20th 2009, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
When you have finished this first book, may I suggest the Edmonds Cook Book as essential NZ reading...
I've got that one
Old May 26th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

OK, forced myself to lie out in the sun all day Sunday and finished the book. How proud am I?
Old May 26th 2009, 10:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by j19fmm
OK, forced myself to lie out in the sun all day Sunday and finished the book. How proud am I?
You should be.

How did you find the book as a whole and the ending?
Old May 27th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
You should be.

How did you find the book as a whole and the ending?
Storyline came as a bit of a shock and my initial thought was 'I don't want to read this' then I wanted to know more. Ending was a let down I thought. Suddenly reverted to an aga-saga happy all round job!!
Old May 27th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell me anymore,only started it and didn't get much reading done at weekend as I had planned

maybe should avoid this thread until I read more

Phyl x
Old May 27th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weejie
Don't tell me anymore,only started it and didn't get much reading done at weekend as I had planned

maybe should avoid this thread until I read more

Phyl x
Sorry Phyl, was trying to be non-specific!! Keep with it
Old May 27th 2009, 11:46 am
`

Poops.

Will shut me gob and wait for you.

Enjoy.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right,finished today! Really enjoyed the book but cannot say why My favourite character was Simon. Found some of it hard going but like j19fmm wanted to keep going to find out more. Thought the ending was poor compared to the rest of the book,was ready for something more dramatic. Thanks for the recommendation AM. Next.

Phyl x
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:06 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weejie
Right,finished today! Really enjoyed the book but cannot say why My favourite character was Simon. Found some of it hard going but like j19fmm wanted to keep going to find out more. Thought the ending was poor compared to the rest of the book,was ready for something more dramatic. Thanks for the recommendation AM. Next.

Phyl x
Well done folks - so just waiting to see if Sarah has finished it? I may have to give her detention if she doesn't come to me with an update on progress soon ...

I loved the language and vocabulary - I found her writing particularly good at creating such vivid pictures for me. I could live in that tower, least the one I built in my imagination!

Next one - you want another Kiwiesque or something else?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Next one - you want another Kiwiesque or something else?
Up for any suggestions, only 15 more reports to write then I'm free!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:33 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Up for any suggestions, only 15 more reports to write then I'm free!!!!
The Colour by Rose Tremaine For two reasons, 1, I've read it and 2. although some people have said it's not factually entirely correct, it's really very good

Oh - she's not a Kiwi - English I think - but it's set in the South Island in the Gold Rush.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Ooooh, what about the Denniston Rose by Jenny Pattrick? I bought it ages ago but haven't read it yet, and it sounds really good!

The bleak coal-mining settlement of Denniston, isolated high on a plateau above New Zealand's West Coast, is a place that makes or breaks those who live there. At the time of this novel - the1880s - the only way to reach the makeshift collection of huts, tents and saloons is to climb aboard an empty coal-wagon to be hauled 2000 feet up the terrifyingly steep Incline - the cable-haulage system that brings the coal down to the railway line. All sorts arrive here to work the mines and bring down the coal: ex-goldminers down on their luck; others running from the law or from a woman or worse. They work alongside recruited English miners, solid and skilled, who scorn these disorganised misfits and want them off the Hill. Into this chaotic community come five-year-old Rose and her mother, riding up the Incline, at night, during a storm. No one knows what has driven them there, but most agree the mother must be desperate to choose Denniston; worse, to choose that drunkard, Jimmy Cork, as bedfellow. The mother has her reasons and her plans, which she tells no one. The indomitable Rose is left to fend for herself, struggling to secure a place in this tough and often aggressive community.The Denniston Rose is about isolation and survival. It is the story of a spirited child, who, in appalling conditions, remains a survivor.

About the Author

Jenny Pattrick is a best-selling author and is also known as a jeweller. She has been President of the Crafts Council of New Zealand, chaired the Boards of Creative New Zealand, the New Zealand Drama School and the NZ School of Dance, and for the last four International Festivals in Wellington has chaired the Writers and Readers Festival Committee
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:59 pm
`

I know we are waiting for Sarah before commenting on the first book so will hold my whisht about the book until she calls in.

I'll go with either Rustie's or Batty's choice. Both sound really good to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.