Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Married at First Sight

Married at First Sight

Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married at First Sight

Good for him and her. We have that here in the US for several seasons now and most of the married couples opt for divorce after the time period. There are I believe 3 couples still married after several years.

Hoping it works out for the two of them. Nothing like love to get the blood pumping and the heart racing and your outlook on life uplifted.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Woodlea
hopefully it'll stop him whinging on about exchange rates!!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

And to think, America used to lead the world in televised schlock.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I thought that too!

Give it 6 months and he'll be whingeing on about being on a reality TV show
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
TV like this rots the mind and is part of the reasons why many men lack true masculinity and women femininity
What? Define "true masculinity" and "femininity".
Old Oct 6th 2017, 1:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Maybe his is one of the minds that has rotted?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Oh rats, it's unfair, I'm still in Oz and can't watch it!

Oh well, good luck to them, I think he has scrubbed up pretty well!

Michelle
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:51 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

It isn't a bunch of vain egotistical men and women who would vow to spend the rest of their lives with someone they never met just to appear on tv. It's a mockery of marriage for entertainment no different than people who enter big brother and become guinea pigs for people's entertainment. I will make sure my son's and/or daughters one day will never become as shallow minded and inward as to think these things as normal and to make a mockery out of themselves and others to entertain people and enhance their ego. I feel embarrassed for people who take these shows seriously

Masculinity and femininity is certainly not selfishness, egotistical, vain and devoid of responsibility toward themselves and each other and most of all downright dim which many of these people choose to be. Based on both the Christian and atheist naturalist world view people as small minded as this are dangerous for the progression of future generations as look how selfish and hedonistic we are becoming without any desire for self control. Perhaps it's easier to roll around in the dirt with not a care in the world than to accept we have a duty to future generations and not be so weak

Last edited by paddy234; Oct 15th 2017 at 11:16 am.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe his is one of the minds that has rotted?
Perhaps it's for the better if the minds that aren't rotten take these shows seriously 😉
Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's for the better if the minds that aren't rotten take these shows seriously 😉
I do watch shows like this (though not this particular one) at times, well, 'watch' is a loose term, they are often on youtube in the background, while I'm doing other stuff. I view the likes of Big Brother as interesting experiments into how people interact when thrown together, and I often feel sorry for those who become a figure of fun - without even realising it. I don't really like the idea behind this particular one, as personally I think it cheapens marriage, but at the same time that's only my personal view, and if others see it in a different way then that is their prerogative, and I wouldn't condemn them quite as strongly as you did
Unfortunately this type of programme is part of today's society, for better or for worse (no pun intended!) and I think the best way to approach it with kids is to make sure that they know its broadcast as entertainment, and as such if they get involved they have to be prepared to become figures of funin the wider world.

In the case of this particular programme I guess the premise is not impossible, there is the possibility that a couple can meet, marry, and THEN fall in love - not unlike many arranged marriages in countries like India.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I do watch shows like this (though not this particular one) at times, well, 'watch' is a loose term, they are often on youtube in the background, while I'm doing other stuff. I view the likes of Big Brother as interesting experiments into how people interact when thrown together, and I often feel sorry for those who become a figure of fun - without even realising it. I don't really like the idea behind this particular one, as personally I think it cheapens marriage, but at the same time that's only my personal view, and if others see it in a different way then that is their prerogative, and I wouldn't condemn them quite as strongly as you did
Unfortunately this type of programme is part of today's society, for better or for worse (no pun intended!) and I think the best way to approach it with kids is to make sure that they know its broadcast as entertainment, and as such if they get involved they have to be prepared to become figures of funin the wider world.

In the case of this particular programme I guess the premise is not impossible, there is the possibility that a couple can meet, marry, and THEN fall in love - not unlike many arranged marriages in countries like India.
I'm not meaning to personally attack anyone however I'm only 28 so when I was a good bit younger reality tv shows like Geordie shore were only becoming popular and the excuse many people had for watching them was they found it comical but as the years progressed I saw how young people in terms of their way of thinking is influenced by such shows as these. Surely if young girls and boys are exposed massively to shows like these to the point the characters are glorified then they will be influenced by such people. Not all but many will and I see this on a day to day basis.

Shows like this would never have existed 15 years ago as people would have seen right through the idiocy of it, today because reality tv is so prominent especially in NZ people take this nonsense seriously. These shows are made because they are cheap to make while they bring in huge profit, why create an engaging story with high paid actors to immerse you in when you can get cheaply paid or non paid gullible small minded people to embarass themselves on live tv where for the most part they are destroying their lives. Most of them take years to recover after these shows
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I will make sure my son's and/or daughters one day will never become as shallow minded and inward as to think these things as normal and to make a mockery out of themselves and others to entertain people and enhance their ego. I feel embarrassed for people who take these shows seriously
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely enough, someone young enough to be my child has given me a lecture on the morality of marriage and the mental capacity of the people who are on these programmes while never answering the question he quoted that I originally asked. I'm not sure why my question was quoted since I am not looking for moral guidance.

My own opinion on the subject is that marriage is an ever changing thing. It wasn't that long ago that marriages were not for romantic purposes, but to breed like classes. In some cultures marriages are arranged between families when children are still very young and once they reach adulthood they marry. "Love" and "romance" and the whole western idea of marriage is foreign and seems wrong. And who are you, or anyone else to judge someone who is looking for a life partner in a (in your view) non traditional way? 15 or 20 years ago people were ridiculed for meeting partners on the internet! Now it's not only accepted, but dating sites/apps seem to be the way to meet now.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Strangely enough, someone young enough to be my child has given me a lecture on the morality of marriage and the mental capacity of the people who are on these programmes while never answering the question he quoted that I originally asked. I'm not sure why my question was quoted since I am not looking for moral guidance.

My own opinion on the subject is that marriage is an ever changing thing. It wasn't that long ago that marriages were not for romantic purposes, but to breed like classes. In some cultures marriages are arranged between families when children are still very young and once they reach adulthood they marry. "Love" and "romance" and the whole western idea of marriage is foreign and seems wrong. And who are you, or anyone else to judge someone who is looking for a life partner in a (in your view) non traditional way? 15 or 20 years ago people were ridiculed for meeting partners on the internet! Now it's not only accepted, but dating sites/apps seem to be the way to meet now.
There is no point trying to justify these reality tv shows and compare it to more modern forms of dating such as online dating as most people aren't idiots.They know that half the reason people appear on these shows is to appear on tv and experience that few hours of fame hoping it will be more. Do you think on these reality tv shows like first dates that people aren't playing up for the camera to some extent especially when you have a film crew a few feet from your face, it's an illusion, nothing more so please stop taking it so seriously. As for answering your question, I'm catholic and I look through the lense of my world view when defining masculinity and feminity as does everyone whether they be Atheist, Muslim, Buddhist etc. Most people on reality tv shows that I've seen are egotistical, vain, shallow and downright dim as you'd have to be to let yourself used as a guinea pig for people's entertainment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.