Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

On Humanism and Religion

On Humanism and Religion

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:01 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On Humanism and Religion

Originally Posted by Charismatic
As someone who spent many years living in the West of Ireland I did want to write a bit about the Catholic Church and recent finding of hundreds of childrens bodies disposed of in a septic tank (most likely after dying of disease or malnutrition while in "care" by contemporary accounts). However the words would not come to me, I cannot convey how I feel about this at this time…too bristley, too hot.

Instead I thought I’d write about something else related. Are we over the cult of religion yet? Surely there must be a pivot point at some stage where a sufficient number of people realise religion is harming humanity, humanism must become the overwhelming priority for us, the humans. Yet each passing day, week, month and year despite a crushing weight of evidence amassing society still clings stubbornly to its beliefs. Each time I hear of another religiously linked case of sexual abuse, suicide bombing or an array of other horrors I hope a little inside that this will finally be the straw that breaks the Camel’s back. Alas to date this has not been forthcoming.

I think there is cause to argue that religion is the most dangerous and pervasive disease humanity has ever faced, in large part because we refuse to treat it as a disease. We don’t want to discuss its inter-generational transmission, its evolution or its effects on individuals and society. Far easier to turn a blind eye and see it as a sort of…warm and fuzzy nostalgia in an ever changing world. In truth however alongside the obvious toll of religion through the hate it inspires (war, tribalism, torture, mutilation, discrimination…etc.) it also costs through lost opportunity. From the ill-informed parochial view that resists genetic engineering that could feed millions, stem cell research that has the potential to treat a variety of diseases and contraception that gives people (often women) life choices. Religion even makes us ashamed and afraid of enjoying the pleasures of being human, we supress our humanness to conform to an irrational view of how a human should be.

Surely better for the human soul and more fulfilling for the mind that people to embrace the energy of that change and play a part in changing the world. We will always have uncertainty and challenges but our inquisitive nature and adaptability will prevail.

When religion is one day weighed in our society and compared to the intrinsic morality, fairness and goodness of humans, as flawed as we are, I am certain we will be truly intellectually and spiritually liberated from a great tyranny. No one is born religious after all.
Amen to that. The question is whether we can hasten its demise or whether by retaining a moral relativism we permit the growth of another dark ages. This I think is the argument which drives strident atheism.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I am not following what you are saying.
Not sure that I am.
...and the events are so unpredictable as to appear random.

Well some people don't have enough to eat or a roof over their head or are excluded from the norms of a society. We often tend to treat this as being deserved rather than random, like poverty is a punishment for idleness and deserved by the recipient. At least with religious belief we can say the world is not a fair place and be compelled to action through empathy. Right?
That is the way it is presented, however religion often prevents action by promising a better afterlife and acceptance of 'God's will', stresses charity over social reform.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:20 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

So, you see, a rational conclusion is that the cruelty of humans that brings suffering can be tempered by believing in god. So god is a force for good in society, no?
That argument falls flat on its face though when you realise that the vast majority of suffering brought upon humans in this world was brought upon them by someone claiming to be doing the work of some god or other (mid-20th century central European activity notwithstanding).

Actually, the damage done by those who believe in god can be reversed by the good works done by those who do so not because of the promise of reward or the fear of punishment, but by the fact that they are decent people.

Humanism is a force for good. Religion, on aggregate anyway, is not.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: On Humanism and Religion

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That argument falls flat on its face...
…but I desperately wanted the opinion I asserted to be true. I suppose an opinion has to be based in observable fact now to be universally agreed as being true?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

…but I desperately wanted the opinion I asserted to be true. I suppose an opinion has to be based in observable fact now to be universally agreed as being true?
Only for scientists
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:48 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Opinions have nothing to do with truth. They can be informed or non-informed, no more, no less. Facts are verifiable.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes. How can anything be true if it isn't based on observable fact

The opinion itself doesn't have to be true, of course. That being said, if it isn't grounded in fact it will never be true, no matter how desperately you want it to be ...
Old Dec 19th 2014, 6:32 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly recent events in Pakistan, Syria, Nigeria, Australia and other countries show we have a very high tolerance for murder if religion is involved.

Someone should start a "Death by Religion" clock that counts the cumulative cost of religion day-by-day.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 2:34 pm
Yo

Sadly recent events in Pakistan, Syria, Nigeria, Australia and other countries show we have a very high tolerance for murder if religion is involved.

Someone should start a "Death by Religion" clock that counts the cumulative cost of religion day-by-day.
I agree. This article is a start...

Jihadi attacks - November's 5,000 deaths broken down by country, victim and terror group | World news | The Guardian

Any such clock should also breakdown the religion involved, as many seem to think each religion is equal in nature.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 2:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Shard
Any such clock should also breakdown the religion involved, as many seem to think each religion is equal in nature.
If you add a historical aspect to the clock, you'd probably find that over time, the two major offenders in the religious atrocities department pretty much even each other out.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:01 pm
Yo

If you add a historical aspect to the clock, you'd probably find that over time, the two major offenders in the religious atrocities department pretty much even each other out.
I imagine it would. Totally, irrelevant to the present and future, however.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:03 pm
I have a comma problem

I imagine it would. Totally, irrelevant to the present and future, however.
The potential destructive properties of religion are never irrelevant. Just because the Middle East is making all the headlines at the moment doesn't mean that Christianity isn't still damaging.

Here in the US, many people still suffer to some degree due to the stranglehold Christianity seems to have over lawmakers.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:51 pm
Yo

The potential destructive properties of religion are never irrelevant. Just because the Middle East is making all the headlines at the moment doesn't mean that Christianity isn't still damaging.

Here in the US, many people still suffer to some degree due to the stranglehold Christianity seems to have over lawmakers.
Well I didn't quite say that.

I would agree that Christianity is something in urgent need of phasing out, which fortunately, despite this month's festivities, is happening across Europe and to a (much) lesser extent, the USA.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Well I didn't quite say that.

I would agree that Christianity is something in urgent need of phasing out, which fortunately, despite this month's festivities, is happening across Europe and to a (much) lesser extent, the USA.
This month's festivities are increasingly secular in nature as well. I'm happy enough to put up a tree and everything else, as long as nobody starts banging on about Jesus.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:58 pm
Yo

This month's festivities are increasingly secular in nature as well. I'm happy enough to put up a tree and everything else, as long as nobody starts banging on about Jesus.
Ironically, I quite like all the Jesus claptrap this time of the year. It's no more a leap than the Easter Bunny so I am happy with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.