Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How are we watching BBC now?

How are we watching BBC now?

Old Mar 4th 2015, 10:24 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile How are we watching BBC now?

My BoxeeBox is no longer supported with flash updates so BBC has stopped working. I have tried the thing where you connect your device to your apple TV box and play BBC but it stutters and is very slow.

How can I get BBC iPlayer that works nicely? I understand I still can't get it by paying money to the BBC at this point?

Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are we watching BBC now?

I use Zenmate as a Firefox add-on on my laptop. Works well and is free. I've given up with Hola on my tablet/phone for now.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Get a NowTV box sent over, plug into your TV and you're away. It turns your TV into a smart UK TV. They're 10 quid.

I just could never be bothered messing about with laptops, cables dongles.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

ovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really nice

The BBC iPlayer has the largest platform support of any television catch-up service in the world. It is on almost everything.

The Now TV box is as suggested is the best value option. It will also get you ITV Player (with live feeds), 4oD and Demand 5 as well. But you can't put smart DNS configs in it.

My new favourite box is the Amazon Fire TV. The advantage of this box is that you can mix apps from all three Prime countries, UK, US and DE (but it requires a trick to do this). The box can be bought in those three countries and shipped over. The cheaper AFTV Stick is currently only available in the US, but the BBC just arrived on it the other day, so I suspect it will be officially launched soon.

For a much more detailed rundown and review on a pile of different platforms, complete with pros and cons, head here, which also has reviews on many of the various platforms themselves.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ovbg
The Now TV box is as suggested is the best value option. It will also get you ITV Player (with live feeds), 4oD and Demand 5 as well. But you can't put smart DNS configs in it.
This is true, so I just put the SmartDNS settings into my router. For those of you that aren't quite as tech savvy this probably sounds complicated, it's not.

I'll have a look into the Amazon Fire TV, my free Roku3 box from Orcon should be turning up soon too.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 11:02 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How are we watching BBC now?

So this Now TV does not require a VPN any more to watch BBC iPlayer?

Also 10 quid as one off or 10 quid a month? Tanx.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
So this Now TV does not require a VPN any more to watch BBC iPlayer?

Also 10 quid as one off or 10 quid a month? Tanx.
It's £10 for the box. Then unless you're buying live football or films it's free.

People use SmartDNS services now instead of VPN's, SmartDNS doesn't affect your internet speeds.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you buy the Now box from?
I have brought my UK TV over and wondering about getting a freeview box to watch TV .Currently streaming from laptop with HDMI cable to TV.
Would it be as simple as plugging in the now box to my TV or is it new TV and freeview box/Now box.
Also thinking of Sky as new series of Game of Thrones is out in a couple of months and I guess the only way to watch is to subscribe.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dandy du2
Where did you buy the Now box from?
I have brought my UK TV over and wondering about getting a freeview box to watch TV .Currently streaming from laptop with HDMI cable to TV.
Would it be as simple as plugging in the now box to my TV or is it new TV and freeview box/Now box.
Also thinking of Sky as new series of Game of Thrones is out in a couple of months and I guess the only way to watch is to subscribe.
I ordered mine from the NowTV website and had my inlaws fetch it with them. It comes with a HDMI cable so it's just a case of plugging it in to your UK telly, a HDMI cable in NZ costs more than the 10 quid you pay for the Now TV box with cable included.

Even though TV here is pretty rubbish I'd still get a Freeview box.

I've now got a Roku3 box, it's an impressive bit of kit. It's like a NowTV box but it's for the American market so you get Netflix, Hula Plus, Google Play etc and I've installed one channel/app so I have all the UK freeview channels available live. I watched Match of the Day this morning on my TV, loved it.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:06 am
Truth is the safest lie.

I do get the feeling the BBC is struggling for interesting shows however, most of their big pullers have been around for many years and there is little new that is interesting. A lot of time seems to be filled with cooking/baking, dancing, sitcoms that fail to be funny or drama that's been running for years.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=People use SmartDNS services now instead of VPN's, SmartDNS doesn't affect your internet speeds.[/QUOTE]

Hi Barnsley Matt, can I please ask what Smart DNS you use? we are currently using the goldenfrog VIPER VPN but have to constantly plug in the lap top etc. Have been looking at the smart TV boxes you recommended.

Thank you
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I use Unblock Us, never misses a beat.

The NowTV boxes seem to sell for £20 but even so, it's still a bargain.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

I just watch what I need online... We haven't even bothered with sky over here yet. We got Netflix for movies but we don't watch nearly as much TV as we did before we moved here.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so I got a Now TV box and a Unblock US account but still having issues.

Iplayer is working as is the Sky Movies section (you have to sign up for a free month) but when I try to play ITV player, 4OD or C5 it plays the adverts but then says it cant play the program.

When I set it up I changed the DNS settings in the router to those given through the Unblock US website. Im still in my 7 day trial with that.

Any suggestions why some but not all are working for me?
Old Aug 1st 2015, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madao
OK, so I got a Now TV box and a Unblock US account but still having issues.

Iplayer is working as is the Sky Movies section (you have to sign up for a free month) but when I try to play ITV player, 4OD or C5 it plays the adverts but then says it cant play the program.

When I set it up I changed the DNS settings in the router to those given through the Unblock US website. Im still in my 7 day trial with that.

Any suggestions why some but not all are working for me?
That's strange as my Now TV works perfectly, I'd email UnBlock Us and ask them if they know a reason, they advertise Now TV working via their service. When I've emailed them in the past they get back to you pretty quick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.