Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General Election UK

General Election UK

Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Election UK

Originally Posted by mikelincs
At least one poll reported today shows Corbyn to be in the lead.
He's doing well but PM Theresa May had a huge advantage in polling. The UK is a deeply conservative, aging society and the electoral system is such that it favours a binary outcome. The chances of a progressive party being elected are very slender.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
He's doing well but PM Theresa May had a huge advantage in polling. The UK is a deeply conservative, aging society and the electoral system is such that it favours a binary outcome. The chances of a progressive party being elected are very slender.
She did have, but her, and the Tories, attitude to the NHS and Police by failing to fund them sufficiently is causing them to haemorrhage votes votes at a great rate, and if they suddenly come up with policies that promise more money they are unlikely to be believed, also the so-called 'dementia tax' has done them no favours, then they u-turned on that, and the threat to pensions.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
She's scared the crap out of that "ageing society" with her Dementia Tax!

Before the terrorist attacks her Dementia Tax was the number one issue and a major problem for her.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Please don't vote for Mr Corbyn

Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Is it over yet?

I could have voted, but I didn't.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
Is it over yet?

I could have voted, but I didn't.
We can't blame you then :-).
Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
We can't blame you then :-).
I live in New Zealand, I pay taxes in New Zealand, I vote in New Zealand.

Besides, the result was a racing certainty in the constituency I used to live in London.

I only had a postal-vote because I did send a vote for the Brexit referendum which they rejected based on the signature, so they have made their bed and they can lie in it for all I care. It is none of my business now.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 6:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's all over now, and the bug questions are

Will Theresa May resign, she should she has run a disastrous campaign.

What will happen in Brexit, she wanted the election to give her a big majority, as her advisors said it would, and she has spectacularly failed, so the other EU people must be rubbing their hands with glee.

She will have to rely on the Irish Democratic Unionist party, who have very different views on many policies.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 7:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I only had a postal-vote because I did send a vote for the Brexit referendum which they rejected based on the signature, so they have made their bed and they can lie in it for all I care. It is none of my business now.
I actually do not understand this post.

Are you saying you wished to vote in the EU/UK referendum because you felt the need but for admin reasons could not get that vote so you decided to stuff on the UK snap general election, which was about more than the EU/UK exit or not , because of that.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
I actually do not understand this post.

Are you saying you wished to vote in the EU/UK referendum because you felt the need but for admin reasons could not get that vote so you decided to stuff on the UK snap general election, which was about more than the EU/UK exit or not , because of that.
Yes.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for what it's worth. Relieved Corbyn hasn't got in, but what a weird result, certainly a collapse in 3rd party votes, and more tactical voting.

By National % vote, the Tories best showing since taking almost exactly the same % in 1983, and Labour's best since 97' when Blair was elected with landslide vote on 43%. Tories today seem likely to have more than 42% and won't get a majority, yet less than that saw Blair take 167 seat majority in 2001!

Instability for sure, and May almost totally to blame, but hopefully we won't be seeing the hard brexit.

Will it be 5 years with Tory minority govt or do will we get another election in a few mths? It's certainly May's last election, and for all Corbyn's joy, he still lost, and difficult to see him being able to win a national election. For both parties, a better campaigner would have seen the tories home, and for Labour a more electable candidate would likely have won too.

Last edited by chocolate cake; Jun 9th 2017 at 10:58 am. Reason: typos
Old Jun 9th 2017, 11:44 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: General Election UK

Had thought the Conservatives would maintain a majority but it looks like they'll need the DUP. Agreed, one way or another, this is the last election outing for PM May. Unfortunately there isn't an obvious candidate to replace her. In terms of policy the Conservatives clearly can't win appealing to pensioners and core voters alone, they need some broader policies to entice younger, working voters.

I would say Jeremy Corbyn seems to engage with voters well. It looked like Labour would suffer a landslide loss just a few weeks ago after years of political infighting had consumed the party at a grass roots level and Corbyn was a real outsider even to win the leadership. He isn't a centrist politician but it's likely his performance will cement the party as credible opposition in a good position to contest the next election. It was a great turn around in a short space of time, lets watch what happens at the next election .
Old Jun 9th 2017, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

May is in office but not in power. She's a goner.

My pick: another election before the end of the year.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 10:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes.
Ah! FWIW I found it all to be a faff trying to get my vote for both. Didn't trust a postal vote to arrive in time so opted for a proxy and that had to be postal from within the UK.

Got my voice heard for both. There again I feel I have a stake .
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

So the Tories are in with the DUP. Ironic that they were whinging about Labour's past of trying to pursue peace with the IRA's war for independence yet say NOTHING about the DUP who party members were also members of Loyalists terror gangs and whose gangsters are continuing to kill people to this day, only a few weeks ago they gunned down a man in front of his child outside a supermarket. All of those loyalist terror gangs such as the UDA ONLY killed Irish catholic civilians to deter people from continuing to support the IRA and it's cause for re-unification, they killed FAR more civilians than the IRA who were mostly engaged with British security forces and do you know whats even more ironic, that the conservative governments in the past refused to recognize these loyalist groups as terrorists until international pressure was put on Britain mainly from the US.

The DUP consists of some of the most vile and corrupt individuals, Arlene foster is being investigated for squandering 400 million pounds of tax payers money from the renewable energy scheme. They have many party members who believe the world is only 6 thousand years old, they are absolutely clueless on economics and are merely supported because of their stance on the union, imagine the fundamentalists in red neck america and thats basically the ideology of these people. They despise Catholicism and anything to do with Irishness and they tried to block the progress of nationalist people gaining civil rights claiming it would lead to what they described as Irish republican popery. The middle east has ISIS. Britain has these guys. I'm glad i live away from all that nonsense now.

Last edited by paddy234; Jun 10th 2017 at 4:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.