Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General Election NZ

General Election NZ

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:28 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Election NZ

Ahh...the left wing tradition of imploding prior to an election is well underway and they have TOP to further fragment the left wing vote.

Obviously Andrew has resigned after an indecisive moment and Jacinta replaced him. Quite a similar choice again for Labour - career politician, not particularly engaging, centrist views, won't have to reprint much of the fire-lighting material heading to your letter boxes. Likely runs once and then gets rolled in my view.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Ahh...the left wing tradition of imploding prior to an election is well underway and they have TOP to further fragment the left wing vote.

Obviously Andrew has resigned after an indecisive moment and Jacinta replaced him. Quite a similar choice again for Labour - career politician, not particularly engaging, centrist views, won't have to reprint much of the fire-lighting material heading to your letter boxes. Likely runs once and then gets rolled in my view.
You avoided the baby issue then...
Was that a slip-up?
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Well she's definitely got my vote.

I think it's a pretty smart move and does at least put a cat among those
grey old pigeons and will liven things up a bit. I suspect there'll be quite a lot more like me who would ordinarily support Labour but couldn't bring themselves to vote for Mr Little.

She's got at least a week more of headline news and full on media attention, AKA effortless and free party political broadcast for Ms Ardern.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:18 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: General Election NZ

Originally Posted by LoCarb
You avoided the baby issue then...Was that a slip-up?
I felt it extremely harsh and unfair on Andrew to point out that he was biologically incapable of giving birth. The bloke's just lost his gig to someone younger and better looking. The last thing he needs reminding of his maternal inadequacies or that he can never "have it all."
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Well she's definitely got my vote.

I think it's a pretty smart move and does at least put a cat among those
grey old pigeons and will liven things up a bit. I suspect there'll be quite a lot more like me who would ordinarily support Labour but couldn't bring themselves to vote for Mr Little.

She's got at least a week more of headline news and full on media attention, AKA effortless and free party political broadcast for Ms Ardern.
Well Ardern's certainly likely to get some of the Labour vote back that had strangely drifted to the Greens over the last few weeks and months.
That in itself will make the Election interesting, the polls are likely to be more accurate than the US and recent UK elections, where here it is the overall (I was going to National!) vote that counts, which is not the case in the UK or even the US, where Clinton actually polled more votes than Trump.

Even most of the recent polls with Labour 23-25% didn't always mean National Govt with their current partners, though the free Epsom seat for ACT seems certain to continue, Peter Dunne only scrapped in last time for United Future, and could be ousted this time. It's ridiculous when National are telling their local supporters to vote elsewhere for the local seat.
Labour polling that low though would have made it difficult for Winston Peters to back them rather than National.

I've not decided which way to vote yet, but Ardern replacing Little hasn't made any difference to me.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Little did this to save himself. He is a List MP, and Labour's polling had fallen so low that he was in danger of not being returned despite being #1 on the list.

He surely would have been rolled after the election, so why not give up the leadership now, hope Ardern can goose the polls enough to get you returned, and see where the chips fall in the new Parliament.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 10:25 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Think Greens need to boot out Metiria Turei, what a disgraceful human being trying to get her fraud across as some form of show on how the benefit system is failing. Her fraud was years ago and her position does not give her the right to make light of it. Shes now been found to of voted illegally as well.
Well done Metiria you have only shown what an awful human being you are and possibly damaged Greens chances, not sure who I am voting for, of any gains.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I dunno. I think she meant for this this confession to highlight the problems of those living below the poverty line & will likely be prepared to pay it back. I haven't read the whole story yet mind you.

This old news & chap on the other hand had plenty of dosh at the time but wasn't so keen to pay back

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 3rd 2017 at 11:31 pm. Reason: Battery on laptop . Argh.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Think Greens need to boot out Metiria Turei, what a disgraceful human being trying to get her fraud across as some form of show on how the benefit system is failing. Her fraud was years ago and her position does not give her the right to make light of it. Shes now been found to of voted illegally as well.
Well done Metiria you have only shown what an awful human being you are and possibly damaged Greens chances, not sure who I am voting for, of any gains.
This early 90's period in New Zealand was appalling.
I shall never forget the chaos Ruth Richardson caused to the population with her savage benefit cuts.
Tens of thousands of Kiwis left for Australia, god knows what would have happened if this option hadn't been available. Blood in the streets probably.

Bill Mitchell wrote a blog about it in 2009:

"You see how arrogant and junior Treasury officials were given the responsibility by Richardson to determine the “poverty line” upon which the benefits would be based. They discuss how they need to set the benefit level at a level where the unemployed person would have just the bare minimum nutrition. This would help motivate the unemployed worker to search harder for work.

You see how they contracted a researcher at Otago University in Dunedin to determine nutrition standards. They then duped the researcher by cutting the absolute minimum that the study had determined was necessary for basic survival by a further 20 per cent. This discounted “poverty level” was then called the NZ minimum income adequacy standard. They then set all welfare benefits at that level. You see the researcher admitting she was tricked by the Treasury officials and that the level they used was not going to provide basic nutrition."

The comeback of conservative ideology | Bill Mitchell – billy blog
Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I dunno. I think she meant for this this confession to highlight the problems of those living below the poverty line & will likely be prepared to pay it back. I haven't read the whole story yet mind you.
She said she would only pay it back after an investigation, more money, and what they discover.

Sorry but however bad it is committing fraud is just not the way and to be honest why the **** did she even advertise the fact, seems appropriate departments knew nothing about it.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Turei said it was her responsibility as an MP to be honest.

"If Winz does an investigation, of course I will pay the money back. And I expect that I will hear from them in time.

But I'm in a position where I can do that. What's happening now, is beneficiaries who are in the same position I was, are being investigated but these people are still on poverty incomes "
I take this to mean that a winz investigation will be needed to know what amount is to be repaid. Not that she has refused.

She advertised the fact to underline the plight of those on benefit living below a poverty line. To state what she herself felt forced to do.

This is happening all the time. People frauding the system in order to be able to survive . This is the point that is being made. That it happens.
That does not make it right at all, however it is what happens.

LoCarb links to the reasons why benefits are pegged to a poverty level.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

Sorry but however bad it is committing fraud is just not the way....
I suppose prostitution was an option for her.
A mother will do whatever it takes to feed her children.

Last edited by LoCarb; Aug 4th 2017 at 5:08 am.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 10:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Jazzy today launched labour new tagline "Let's do this" although when asked substantively what "this" meant in actual policy terms she replied "All in good time." Someone might want to update her on the election calendar. Not being able to state your policy position does not make it easy for those of us more concerned with policy than personality.

I gave Gazza a hard time about TOP when first announced but actually their policy message is very consistent but what they've proposed is genuinely a major step towards towards a more progressive country. The question I have is if New Zealand is ready for change?
Old Aug 4th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Jazzy today launched labour new tagline "Let's do this" although when asked substantively what "this" meant in actual policy terms she replied "All in good time." Someone might want to update her on the election calendar. Not being able to state your policy position does not make it easy for those of us more concerned with policy than personality.

I gave Gazza a hard time about TOP when first announced but actually their policy message is very consistent but what they've proposed is genuinely a major step towards towards a more progressive country. The question I have is if New Zealand is ready for change?
Yeah, sounds like some sports slogan like Nike's 'just do it', though the new Labour one might well have been cribbed from Trump's last year, ‘What would be a good expression? And I said, let’s do this”

As to policy positions, Jacinda Adern was no.2 to Little, so must have had a great deal of influence on their original manifesto for the election.

As for Metiria Turei, surely it's time fall on her sword and resign, fraud and lies, remaining and staying deputy, both have to be untenable. Jacinda Adern missed the chance of showing strong leadership, making Turei resignation a requirement to work with them.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The National party slogan is no better - every time I see Bill English's face 'Delivering for New Zealand' I wonder exactly what it is he's delivering, leaflets or newspaper?

Surely Ms Turei has to go, I don't understand why they don't just kick her out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.