Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Divided by a common language

Divided by a common language

Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Divided by a common language

I had my first real NZ-English misunderstanding today. I was seeing a sick cat and on asking if the cat had exhibited any peculiar behaviour the following conversation ensued:

Kiwi: We have had the builders in and she [the cat] has taken to lying amongst the bats in the roof now it's exposed.

Me: That's very strange, I wonder why she'd do that [you can see where this is going]

Kiwi: Well I suppose they are warm and fluffy

Me: Yes they probably are but it still seems a little odd that your cat would decide to do this

Kiwi, looking at me very oddly by now: Is there anything she can catch from the bats?

Me: Not that I know of in NZ, back in the UK bats are known to carry rabies but as far as I know it's not an issue here but I may well be wrong

Kiwi burst into laughter and said 'Batts, pink insulating batts, did you really think I had native bats in my roof that my cat cuddles up to?'
I had to admit that yes, that was my first thought and that I was seriously considering whether her cat was clinically insane After wiping away the tears of laughter I had to try and be all professional again...
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:36 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divided by a common language

love it Sue!, gave OH & I a good laugh & cheered up a grey dismal sunday morning!!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:00 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - Pink Bats - a bit like insulation only colder!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:03 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

I found it very bizarre too that their cat would be curling up with bats!