Chooks!

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:23 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chooks!

OK you chooky savvy bunch - I need your advice.

We have what we thought were three chickens. Henny, Penny, and Jenny.

It turns out that one - Penny, now likes to crow. At first it was just a bit of a rubbish 'squawk-a-squaaaaaaaaak', but now it's a proper 'uh-e-ur-e-urghhhh'.

So I have 3 questions -

Number 1: Can female chickens crow?
Number 2: If yes, then will the next most dominant one start crowing if I despatch the crower?
Number 3: If no, does anyone want a cock, or if not - then what's the best way to kill and prep it for dinner next Sunday?

Yes, I realise that's 4 questions, but I never was one for counting.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:28 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

oops! sounds like a cock-a-diddley-cockerell. Ring neck, remove head, pluck, clean insides out, season and roast.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:28 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
oops! sounds like a cock-a-diddley-cockerell. Ring neck, remove head, pluck, clean insides out, season and roast.
Sounds like a plan, stan!

Will invite the neighbours around for a roast on Sunday - I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture as it's right by their bedroom window!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:32 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

yeh sounds like it's a boy.
We kept our one, but have no near neighbours to disturb.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

The answer involves Oregano, white wine and a hint of garlic!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if there are no chaps around a hen can do a pretty good imitation of a crow.... but....you've probably got yourself a cockerel. If you don't fancy plucking just skin it and casserole. Happy eating
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:32 am

Hi folks. Well I played 'Andy the Hunter' on Sunday, and it was roast chook for tea. After my first feelings of guilt, it all went rather well. Tasty too!

Cheers for the help and advice, I am now cock-free.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:50 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say - well done - you're a better man than me!
I can't do that with any of ours - DH could - but not me, I'm a total wimp and a huge softy - which isn't so bad when its a chook, but when you're talking a cow it's just daft!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Cheers for the help and advice, I am now cock-free.
Erm... it could be that I typed too soon. Just this morning I hear ANOTHER cock-a-doodle-doo.

If it knows what's good for it, it will keep it's mouth shut over the next couple of days otherwise it'll be chicken on the menu again this weekend....
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:05 am
A land far far away

oh dear.
I just looked back at your pic - I take it it was the one in the middle that was a boy? I hate to say it but the other white one may be too - I think the brown one looks like a girl though ( or was that the other one crowing?!)

Rustie might know she's good at that.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

After a while the boys generally get bigger and more aggressive. Eventually, they grow bigger tail feathers. It depends how long you want to wait and find out.
RE sick chooks. Some get egg bound (they sometimes have a brownish discharge round the back end) and I believe castor oil works. It is best to get organised with a sick bay as chooks can be catty creatures.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

It's really difficult to tell from the photo but i'd say the middle one was definately a boy, the one on the left is a possible but the one to the right (back) i'd say was a girl?

One way to tell is to put a piece of paper underneath the feathers at the back and see if they are pointy shaped or straight, pointy = boy!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:03 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Rustie
It's really difficult to tell from the photo but i'd say the middle one was definately a boy, the one on the left is a possible but the one to the right (back) i'd say was a girl?

One way to tell is to put a piece of paper underneath the feathers at the back and see if they are pointy shaped or straight, pointy = boy!
i thought the same.... oh dear things are not looking good!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:09 am

Our fears have been realised. I am sad to say that cock number 2 had his neck stretched over the weekend, and is on the menu for tea tomorrow. The remaining lady is going to spend some time with the sister-in-law's chooks until spring comes along and we get a batch of layers and start again from there.

I did feel very bad for her, as she was all alone and crying out for her 'man'. She seems to have settled now though. Ah well, the joys of livestock. 2nd time lucky!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

.....bump......

Meet the new girl in my husband's life

One 4 year old hen that seems to be a Barnevelder. Someone we know didn't want her anymore as there was trouble in the flock so we ended up with her somehow.

She seems healthy enough. Is eating , drinking and alert and has already laid two eggs.

Thing is, she is on her own-some so what can we do to get her some companionship ? I've read that introducing hens to each other can be a bit problematic.

We were originally thinking of buying a couple of ex-battery hens before she came along . Does anyone think this cold still be a goer.
Person at the animal feed shop suggested I put a young 6 week old pullet or two with her...but I'm not sure that's wise

Any thoughts anyone please?

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.