Chooks!

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chooks!

It depends on which council area you live in. On the North Shore I believe you can have 6 chickens but no roosters in urban areas.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Chooks!

Sounds really good! I only want a couple of hens -a rooster would end up in my famous coq au vin the first morning it woke me! I do need my beauty sleep and will let no male disturb it...
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
here's mine ( sorry to hijack but I can't resist posting pics of the chooks!)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26...e/IMG_1610.jpg
the black ones are looking very messy and bald just now

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26...e/IMG_1607.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26...e/IMG_1153.jpg
This is Gladys my lovely boy
fine looking birds
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:25 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

thank you!

You know what, you really get used to the crowing. We sleep through Gladys now so unless we're awake already sleep right through his racket, and he's only about 10m away from our bedroom!( I hasten to add we are very rural so don't have any near by neighbours to disturb!)

How are yours doing Wiz n Ton? Mine that look similar to yours have started crouching which means eggs any day ish! You got any eggs yet?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you!

You know what, you really get used to the crowing. We sleep through Gladys now so unless we're awake already sleep right through his racket, and he's only about 10m away from our bedroom!( I hasten to add we are very rural so don't have any near by neighbours to disturb!)
I wish I could believe that. We spent a fortnight on the Island of Gozo a number of years back & were woken at 5am every bl**dy morning. That rooster wasn't popular with any of the family
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:54 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I wish I could believe that. We spent a fortnight on the Island of Gozo a number of years back & were woken at 5am every bl**dy morning. That rooster wasn't popular with any of the family
sorry
I reckon it took us about a month to start sleeping through it.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry
I reckon it took us about a month to start sleeping through it.
Damn, if only we'd stayed a bit longer
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:30 am
A land far far away

One of our 'babies' laid her first egg just now!
Not in her bed but right in the middle of the run, but who cares!! Well done, Abigail!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:27 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, congratulations Pixie-Dust!

Our local paper had a short article about hens. It basically says the shortening day length brings on a moult and egg laying is dramatically reduced or stops completely. A hen will stop laying between 8 weeks to 4 months over the moulting period. Once the moult is over they start laying again but won't be as prolific although eggs may well be larger.

We fed ours a hot mash throughout last winter though and they continued to lay, although not as productively.

Basically, being female, I think they'll do as they please in their own damn time thank you very much
Old May 16th 2009, 1:58 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

We have 5 chooks and one has been poorly for the last week or so...worms we think. So I've dosed her up and a couple of days later she started to look as though she was getting better.

However the big problem is the other 4. I guess it's a survival of the fittest thing, but they are being really......and I mean really .....aggressive towards her. Jumping on her in a gang, pecking and just generally laying into her like she was a spotty oik outside a grubby bar in Manchester at 2am Sunday morning. She really is going downhill - we're trying to keep them seperate but it's difficult 1st thing in the morning and at dusk as we've only one coup for sleeping.

It's got to the stage where she's lust lying down all day and refusing food and water. We may well be at the neck under and axe stage soon unless we gat any divine inspiration.
Old May 16th 2009, 7:34 am
A land far far away

Biddy, L and I knocked up a wee house in an afternoon when Maude went broody and that's where she stayed to bring up her babies.

It's also come in incredibly handy as a sick bay. We had 2 roosters from the eggs we hatched and one day they had an almighty fight ( it was an accident waiting to happen and we did get a new home for one of them) but Bert spent almost a week in sickbay to recover and get strong again.
I can pm you a pic if you want - it was really really simple and it's a very good thing to have if you need to separate them for any reason.

Failing that do you know anyone that brought a cat over from the uk? and if so do they still have the crate it came in? We've used that too as an emergency, and if she's feeling crook and not moving about it'll have enough room for a few days.

Poor chook
Old May 16th 2009, 10:24 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately poor chook is now a very dead and buried chook.

I made a shelter for her last night but it was obvious she wasn't going to make it.

We had a little ceremony this morning and the kids have made a 'gravestone' to go alongside 'Wendy' who died this time last year.

Very sad.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:53 pm
A land far far away

Aw poor thing, RIP wee chook
Old May 18th 2009, 1:43 am
A land far far away

Minnie is laying now too!
Old May 18th 2009, 3:46 am
Give us a kiss

Hoorah!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.