Chooks!

Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:52 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chooks!

Here's a (rather poor, but the best of a bad lot) pic of our wee little chickens in order of bravery. Little white is the cheekiest of the three, medium cream being of moderate 'I ain't scared of you'ness and big brown is a big girl and runs away screaming whenever you get too close. Funny little beggars!

Gonna let them out into the garden proper over the weekend - see what they make of the place whilst I put up a proper fence and gate for their enclosure.
Attached Thumbnails Chooks!-chickens-4.jpg  
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:38 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Chickens are funny. Totally mental but hilarious to watch.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

poor chickens...
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:36 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

aw they're cute.
Not laying yet though I take it?
My wee ones, the pullets, combs look a bit like that, maybe a smidge bigger and I reckon they're a couple of months away yet.
Your first egg will be the most exciting day!

oops sorry just read your earlier post!
If you're lucky they might lay all winter, my Minorcas did, one of them has been laying for over a year and the other three are all moulting just now.

Last edited by pixi-dust; Apr 10th 2009 at 3:39 am.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:57 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

here's mine ( sorry to hijack but I can't resist posting pics of the chooks!)

the black ones are looking very messy and bald just now

This is Gladys my lovely boy
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:51 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Wow pixie dust - they look fantastic! If ours look half as good as that in a few months then we'll be well chuffed.

They have really settled in now - and managed their first escape a few days ago after hopping over the 2 ft bit of ply wood that up to then had done the job of keeping them in their pen. I'm just halfway through putting in their proper fencing, so by the end of tomorrow they'll be fully sorted.

How high can chickens jump? I've build the fence 5ft tall, and their wings are clipped. Will they be able to 'hop' over 5ft when they are full sized you reckon?

They will be a good month or two away from laying, but it'll give us a chance to get used to looking after them.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

LOL! Mine can 'jump' over my 6 ft fence by 'flying' against it!!! When it comes down to it they'll get out if they want to no matter how high it is, so 5ft should be fine!

Mine like to get out into the orchard (where they're allowed anyway) to go hide their eggs!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 10:43 am

Holy crap Rustie, I hope you're kidding?! We're in suburbia, and so if they get out then get onto the road it'll be flat chooks. Our garden is pretty big, so they may decide to stay put and eat everything is sight. At well, I suppose we'll just have to see how they go!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Nope not joking!! Although, i have 2 bantams i 'rescued' from work and were wild, one had chicks and taught them well as none of them sleep indoors, preferring to sleep in the trees (and they've 'taught' one of my others too!), so i think they just have REALLY bad habits!! LOL!

Mine like to hop over my 4 ft fence to the road verge according to my neighbours, and none of them have been flattened (touch wood!), but i'm sure it's just the naughty 'wild' one and her babies too~!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:45 am
A land far far away

mine can fly over their fence which is about 2m high, but their wings aren't clipped. I know they can do it as they roost in the tree and sometimes jump down into the veggie patch, but I don't have to get them back into the run as they fly 'home' Their run is huge and I think they feel safe there.
Spoil them rotten and they won't want to go anywhere!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
This is Gladys my lovely boy
LOL! I've just realised you've called a chap 'Gladys'!

Erm... care to explain...?

Chook update - just finished the enclosure, and they all seem to be snug in there. Will keep an eye out for 'The Great Escape' - just like on Chicken Run
Old Apr 12th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

If you ever have chicks Wiz you'll understand!!! I think the best explanation is 'Wishful Thinking'!!!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:32 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Rustie
If you ever have chicks Wiz you'll understand!!! I think the best explanation is 'Wishful Thinking'!!!
yes, well when he was born I was sure he was a boy, at the time I hadnt managed to convince hubby we needed a rooster so I called him Gladys in the hope of some sort of spontaneous sex change or something! But nope a boy he remained, but the good news is hubby loves him ( even at 5.30 am- you do learn to sleep through the crowing even when it's almost outside your bedroom window) and amazingly Gladys really suits his name!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

A very interesting thread! I've always wanted to own chickens!

Question for those living in city/town suburbs: do you need some kind of a permit for keeping chickens? Or is it just a question of buying some hens and building a hen house and Bob's your mother's brother?

Mgee
-wondering if I could teach my border collies to herd the chooks
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:32 am
Just Joined

wellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nice

I've seen them here in Wellington city. Not large numbers mind you, but a hen house and some ladies in the yard. I'm jealous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.