Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can I live without Kedgeree?

Can I live without Kedgeree?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I live without Kedgeree?

Well I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would be discussing fish today

I have been advised that the nearest tasting fish to haddock is Hapuku. Then buy a Bradley Smoker for $300ish and your good to go.

B stop it, your making me even more excited
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup. You can get smoked hoki & every other sorts of fish here or you could buy a smoker and smoke your own. They are all good, smoked or not smoked.
However, for a good kedgeree it should be smoked haddock , as haddock has a distinctive taste of its own & lovely that is too.

I'm a really huge fish fan. Some folks like sweets and chocolate but a sweety shop to me is the fishmonger. I just love fish and seafood.

Their opinion is that fish is a whole different experience in NZ and will taste wonderful compared to smoked haddock
They're having you ,or themselves , on mate

Actually, maybe they could advise what they feel is closest to a haddock in taste. Drooling at the thought.

Fresh fish is a fresh fish the world over. A fresh smoked fish is a fresh smoked fish.

I wouldn't say the fish is better or worse here to be honest. They are different fish but fish all the same. If buying fish then the exact same rules re. fresh fish apply when buying fish from a fishmongers slab. Same with fish and chips . Some good 'uns and some pretty poor ones. Example of this is that our local tavern turns out stonking good fish and chips but the place on our local wharf is more expensive and not that good.

Of course the bestest fish are the ones bought /caught straight off a boat or ones you catch yourself and cook that night.
I used to get up early and go to my next door town to buy fresh fish off the boat which was totally yum & we were lucky that there was a smokery not far from where we lived so ,for us, the fish experience is just the same. It's just the types of fish available that is different.

Which brings me to crabs & the like.... I'd like a good crab. A dressed crab and all there is ever about are piddly paddle crabs. I like sizeable scallops and find squiddly things sold in sets of a dozen. Crayfish are tooo expensive to buy which is a huge shame for my palate.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Numptyhead

I have been advised that the nearest tasting fish to haddock is Hapuku. Then buy a Bradley Smoker for $300ish and your good to go.
You're getting karma. Brilliant ! I'll try that out and see what I think. Thank them from me.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:49 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hapuku is a pretty versatile dish IMO. You can eat it straight off the barbie or stick in a fish pie and it still holds it's flavour.

More commonly advertised a Grouper and definitely a good deep sea fisherman's fish
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Tis so true about fresh fish. As I grew up I never really liked fish. IMO I could always taste the water it came out of. Did quite like fish fingers though....I know, I was a heathen. Having said that I was from the East Midlands and you really don't get any further away from the sea. Yarmouth and Skegness being our nearest seaside

When we moved down to Cornwall, OH took me for Fish and Chips in Falmouth. OMG it was the best tasting cod I had ever experienced. It was just divine and scrummy and nothing to do with the batter

I am still not very brave with fish but I am getting better. The fishing in Whakatane is suggested to be superb so lots of fun tasting sessions coming up...on the barbe of course. I don't fish mind you, no not for me, too boring
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

blimey, $300 for a smoker to achieve Kedgeree induced delirium is probably a bit too pricey (at least until Mr H has secured gainful employment). Maybe he'd like one for Fathers' Day...... Where there's a will and all that!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:08 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hosebergine
blimey, $300 for a smoker to achieve Kedgeree induced delirium is probably a bit too pricey (at least until Mr H has secured gainful employment). Maybe he'd like one for Fathers' Day...... Where there's a will and all that!

We bought ours for $79 in the Big Red Shed, does the job well enough
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by P2L
Hapuku is a pretty versatile dish IMO. You can eat it straight off the barbie or stick in a fish pie and it still holds it's flavour.

More commonly advertised a Grouper and definitely a good deep sea fisherman's fish
I had that before in NZ - and loved it!! thanks for the advise on here!
Bernixx