Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

AAAAAHHHH! Trying to stop smoking!!

AAAAAHHHH! Trying to stop smoking!!

Old May 8th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: AAAAAHHHH! Trying to stop smoking!!

Good Luck....

OHHH dear we are going on holiday next week and OH sayes we are both giving up when we get back. (to hard to be on hols on the beach and in the bars and stuff and not smoke!)
I know I should do it for health reasons as well ( I have an over active thiroid and doctor sayes that smoking sometimes causes those bulgy eyes that people get) so i have a couple of weeks to convince myself that this is what we are going to do and we are going to make it work, but my main question is ....if you don't smoke what do you do in your tea breaks at work? I drink my coffee on the run so what would I do? Thats gonna be the main stumbling block I think, and I don't generally eat during the day anyway. Just coffee and smokes. I think my plan is not to tell anyone that I have given up that way no-one will ask me about it either!
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:23 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Good Luck....

OHHH dear we are going on holiday next week and OH sayes we are both giving up when we get back. (to hard to be on hols on the beach and in the bars and stuff and not smoke!)
I know I should do it for health reasons as well ( I have an over active thiroid and doctor sayes that smoking sometimes causes those bulgy eyes that people get) so i have a couple of weeks to convince myself that this is what we are going to do and we are going to make it work, but my main question is ....if you don't smoke what do you do in your tea breaks at work? I drink my coffee on the run so what would I do? Thats gonna be the main stumbling block I think, and I don't generally eat during the day anyway. Just coffee and smokes. I think my plan is not to tell anyone that I have given up that way no-one will ask me about it either!
Gave up on my wedding day 4 years ago but it is only in the past year that I no longer miss it. It is a long hard road and you will fall off it a few times but tis def worth it. I am now in the group that hates smoking and can't stand the smell of it even slightly. Good luck
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

So we agree weeks ago that the last one would be in singapore airport on the sunflower deck....now after smoking 200 duty frees in 6 days I am more than ready to give it up and that would have been good for me....
...but what happens when we get back in Auckland arrivals, he rushes towards the nearest door and when I ask him "doesn't he need to call the pick up company", the answer is...."not right now I'm going to have a smoke!!!
"....I am disappointed becasue I was ready to do it, but also angry becasue I didn't have the will power on my own to say..."well I don't want one"....
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:17 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

I gave up smoking in 1981 when I decided I would like to start a family, ( a year or 2 without smoking then kids) cold turkey, no problem - I had a goal. Number 1 son born 1984. Then as that awful, awful mistress fate would have it, late in 1988 I developed severe cravings for tobacco - from the moment I was pregnant, I lasted out until 7 months pregnant and uncontrollable urges to smoke eventually won out. Cravings in pregnancy are something you cannot control.

Thought I'd be good and give up smoking in 1999. I worked nights and a colleague commented that I only ever take 4 puffs out of each cigarette and suggested I tried rolling my own.

I tried her 'rolls' and duly started rolling my own with the view to cutting down and then giving up as my level of dependency decreased - filters became smaller until I progressed to super slim filter, then I started using 1.5 filters. Took a lot of stick at the size of my cigs, but it was worth it or was it. My plan failed miserably, I still roll my own, still use 1.5 filters, still use slim filters. Although I don't smoke indoors, haven't for as long as I can remember. Use the garage in bad weather and the garden in good. 30gms of bacci lasts about 8 - 10 days, I just don't want to give up.

Smoking may be self destructive, but so are all the vices. Smoking does not make me a bad person. I may give up one day when I decide, not the pressure of society.

My point is after all this rambling - you have to give up because YOU want to, not because someone else wants you to, if you give up for this reason you will succeed if not you will fail. Think about YOUR reasons for giving up and act on them, remind yourself of why YOU want to give up each time you fancy one
Old May 31st 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

So its the end of the 1st week, It hasn't been particulary hard however I have told myself I am on house arrest at work, nb I do not leave the shop, because before I would take my smokes with me when ever I did so and I haven't had a lunch or a tea break all week, but i guess the hardest bit is actually being at home at night especially if I am on my own! I also haven't been out socially this week I might have to become a hermit!!!

I guess the good bit is that I have spent the money we would have saved at the Bendon factory shop!!!!!!!

Catkin...how are you doing?
Old May 31st 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Failed:curse:

Lasted a week, then stuck at home on my own, went to the shops and ended up buying some:curse:

Never mind shit happens!!

Will try again very soon. I keep coming up with excuses why I havent tried again yet.

My boss has even offered to take me for hypnotherapy and pay for it

I will stop, I don't want to end up like my Mum, the smoking killed her and she was only 68.

Keep up with giving up, I'm sending you loads of stop smoking karma.

Catkin
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

When the time comes you will do it!!! I have to admit I don't expect my non smoking to last!!!! Because I enjoy it!!!