Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

What language and moving to Denmark ( i hope)

What language and moving to Denmark ( i hope)

Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What language and moving to Denmark ( i hope)

Originally Posted by hatecold
Well, if I was to judge who knows best, I'd say it is me. :-) First hand experience as a native Finn and a language professional as well.
Ah, well, I would never argue with a language professional - even one whose English grammar is a bit dodgy! (It's "if I were", old chap, not "if I was".)
Old Jun 7th 2014, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Perhaps, in his infinite wisdom, Mr Barlow might tell us about the status and usage of the subjunctive in English - as she is spoke.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Perhaps, in his infinite wisdom, Mr Barlow might tell us about the status and usage of the subjunctive in English - as she is spoke.
Oh dear! Do we have yet another language professional with us? It's harassment, I tell you!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Language pros ? We trawl through cyberspace looking for innocents that we may bully !

Tot siens mynheer !
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Language pros ? We trawl through cyberspace looking for innocents that we may bully ! Tot siens mynheer !
Now, now, Scottie. Don't you dare insult me in your Scottish lingo.*** That is bullying!
*** It's double Dutch to me.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:17 am
Just Joined

MrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to behold

I lived in both Sweden and now Norway. Personally speaking I find Norwegian more difficult to learn than swedish. I speak norwegian now, but it took me about 4 years to really feel like I could speak it fluently. I don't understand Danish AT ALL when I hear it, I find it easier to read. Swedish is very similiar in construct to norwegian, although norwegian is more heavily influenced by danish. If you're are going to live in Denmark then learn danish, most scandinavian speak good english so working with other scandinavian countries won't be difficult with english. However the danes will appreciate it more and working in denmark will be easier if you speak their language. I know from personal experience that getting a job in norway is very difficult if you don't speak norwegian, not impossible, just very difficult.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Freddy_Fulham is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to language school for just under a year in Denmark and could get by on it.

Even today, five years later I can understand the basic language reading, writing and listening to it.