Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Are there ANY british ex-pats living in NORWAY on this forum?

Are there ANY british ex-pats living in NORWAY on this forum?

Old Apr 30th 2015, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

paulscotland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there ANY british ex-pats living in NORWAY on this forum?

Refer to title.

Last edited by paulscotland; Apr 30th 2015 at 4:58 pm.
Old May 1st 2015, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there ANY british ex-pats living in NORWAY on this forum?

Is this a poll or do you have some specific question you want to address to Norway residents only?

btw, I don't live in Norway (yet) and, may I add, unfortunately
Old May 1st 2015, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ugo51
Is this a poll or do you have some specific question you want to address to Norway residents only?

btw, I don't live in Norway (yet) and, may I add, unfortunately
If it's a poll, it's a pretty unsuccessful one . I have posted one question on another thread which has been viewed almost 100 times, but no answer. The question is about resident permits in Norway, so it's concerning the most basic first step ANY foreigner would take before living in Norway permenantly . And as nobody has answered, I'm guessing there are NO non-norwegians living in Norway in this ENTIRE forum.

Perhaps it should be classified as "Scandinavia (Norway not included)"?

Oh well, once I move here permenantly in less than two months I shall do my best to share my experiences and help others in their quest to becoming an ex-pat living in Norway.

Ok, so I'm off to find another forum.

Last edited by paulscotland; May 1st 2015 at 9:34 am.
Old May 1st 2015, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately that is true. I've already noticed more than once that this forum is not particularly active in the Scandinavia section. That's a pity because it's otherwise very well frequented in other sections.
Old May 1st 2015, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately that is true. I've already noticed more than once that this forum is not particularly active in the Scandinavia section. That's a pity because it's otherwise very well frequented in other sections.
Yeah for sure, I've been asking questions about a few different countries over the months and the people on those countries forums have been very helpful. So, it was a little disappointing to find nothing here. Not to worry, Norway has one of the smallest populations, just like Scotland! So, not so many folks here to help out us Newbies. Like I said, I will be available up till and after my 'big move' to Norway, and will be happy to share my experiences.
Old May 1st 2015, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Are you planning to move there indefinitely?

I'm not entirely sure you need a permit visa. You're a member of EU (unless something changes soon here in the UK )
Old May 1st 2015, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Are you planning to move there indefinitely?

I'm not entirely sure you need a permit visa. You're a member of EU (unless something changes soon here in the UK )
We're a member of the EU, but Norway is not. Norway is a member of the Shengen, we are not. So permits are needed. There are several kinds of Permits in order to live, study or work in Norway. If you work in the country for a foreign company (like me working for my Scottish company), then you need a D-number (tax code). If you are intending to work in Norway for a Norwegian company, then you need to get a contract from your Norwegian employer and take it to the Police. They phone the UK to make sure you're not a 'psycho on the run', then they grant you with a work permit. You are then able to take the work permit and D-number to a Bank in order to open an account.

Then you can live in Norway indefinitely. After 5 years, you can apply for citizenship if you want. But Norway does not allow duel citizenships, so if you wanted to be a Norwegian citizen you would have to give up your UK citizenship. Which I intend to do.

Look at that Ugo51, I'm educating the forum already! (not that anybody is interested)

Take care chum.

Last edited by paulscotland; May 1st 2015 at 12:46 pm.
Old May 1st 2015, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Didn't know UK was not Shengen!
That's interesting info you're putting out there. I've always assumed we could pick up and go (mind me, I'm not a British citizen, so this might not apply to me...)

Well, good luck with the move.
I've been looking for a chance to move to Scandinavia for a while now, but my wife is not too keen...
Old May 1st 2015, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Didn't know UK was not Shengen!
That's interesting info you're putting out there. I've always assumed we could pick up and go (mind me, I'm not a British citizen, so this might not apply to me...)

Well, good luck with the move.
I've been looking for a chance to move to Scandinavia for a while now, but my wife is not too keen...
I was surprized to learn that the UK was not a member of the Shengen too. I've been working in Norway since 2003, and I really love it here. The UK is very quickly being flushed down the economic toilet. I'm not interested in trying to carve out a living on a sinking ship. Norway is beautiful, rich and plentyful. Plus, my Latvian girlfriend lives here, which of course, is the deciding factor for me to finally take the plunge.

Keep in contact Ugo51,

good speaking to you.
Old May 1st 2015, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Good speaking to you too man!

Just out of curiosity, do you and/or your gf speak Norwegian?
Old May 1st 2015, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

My girlfriend does yes, I am yet to learn.... or as they say in norwegian "Jeg snakker ikke Norsk".
Old May 2nd 2015, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to understand what's the availability of jobs for English-speakers.
Not that I'm expecting to move to Norway without ever learnign the language, but I think it would be good to move there and then to learn the language while having the possibility to work with English only.
Old May 3rd 2015, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the job. Clearly for some jobs, Norwegian language skills could be vital.
Old May 5th 2015, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Yes, of course.
But where it isn't? Are English-speakers welcome? Or, at least, given the chance to get the job with the condition they will learn the language?
Old May 7th 2015, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

MrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to behold

Yes, unfortunately I am a brit ex-pat in Norway. Norwegian language skills are vital for work here these days. Although I think there is a corner of the jobmarket that doesn't mind so much if you are working in IT for example, or you want to be a cleaner. Then you can definitely get work without too much norwegian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.