Moving to Denmark

Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

CardinalSys is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Denmark

Hello everybody.

My family and I are interested in moving out of England. See I don't really care where I move. My mother is quite stressed from England and really wants to move out somewhere else. My family (whom are Norwegian) suggested Denmark, and here I am being the nice boy and doing research for her.

Now, my mother is a teachers assistant and a cleaner. She speaks Arabic and English fluently. However, she does not really have any sort of Education to indicate such things except her experience which is not such an expanding branch.

I myself am an A Level Student. My education is very important but I am sure there is a similar system that I can continue in Denmark as I know multiple exchange students studying in Aarhus. I have 2 other siblings. One of whom is very young (5) and another reaching the age of 13. They both will be able to study there as they probably will catch up on the language. Now the clear indication is the basic things such as :

The job
Where we will live
The Language
Education
Tax
Benefits (Just to get by)

If one where to so kindly give me information to this then I will be overwhelmed.

Thank you for reading
Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

CardinalSys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Denmark

Oh, I will also do some research on the forum
Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

erchin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
The quality of life in Denmark is great. I am English and have lived here for 6 years. However, unless you become fluent in the language relatively quickly you will not make any Danish friends other than superficially. It is a closed culture that protects itself very well so a lot of effort to integrate/assimilate is needed.
As for ourselves, we are thinking of moving to New Zealand as in 6 years here, i've had enough! Obviously, you get out what you put in, but it can be a lonely existence - especially the older you are when you move.
https://www.workindenmark.dk/Moving-to-DK
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Jill B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CardinalSys
Hello everybody.

My family and I are interested in moving out of England. See I don't really care where I move. My mother is quite stressed from England and really wants to move out somewhere else. My family (whom are Norwegian) suggested Denmark, and here I am being the nice boy and doing research for her.

Now, my mother is a teachers assistant and a cleaner. She speaks Arabic and English fluently. However, she does not really have any sort of Education to indicate such things except her experience which is not such an expanding branch.

I myself am an A Level Student. My education is very important but I am sure there is a similar system that I can continue in Denmark as I know multiple exchange students studying in Aarhus. I have 2 other siblings. One of whom is very young (5) and another reaching the age of 13. They both will be able to study there as they probably will catch up on the language. Now the clear indication is the basic things such as :

The job
Where we will live
The Language
Education
Tax
Benefits (Just to get by)

If one where to so kindly give me information to this then I will be overwhelmed.

Thank you for reading
Ok here we go, I'm not a great expert on a lot of these things but I've been living here over 10 years now and been through most if not all of these things and got past them, so

Job, when you move here you have to be self sufficient, meaning you have to have some kind of savings to be able to survive on your own, you won't get any benefits when you move because you have not contributed to the tax system yet, you used to have to have a minimum of 5000kr which is around £500 a month in your bank to support yourself and they will ask for proof you have it you also have to have some kind of health insurance again you haven't contributed to the tax fund so to the Stats office your a burden they won't/can't help if you get sick.
Once you've been here for I think it's 3 months (don't take that as gospel, cause not quite sure now) you have to then apply for permission to work here, once you have that you can then go to your local kommune office (local council) and get what they call a cpr number, you also have to have a bank account with one of the banks here, once you have that your set.
You can apply for a job, if your not fussy it's not to hard to get one, but you have to be reliable and willing to listen/learn or you'll be shown the door quicker than you came in. Once you get a job you have to join one of the unions here, it's safety in case you get fired, trust me I wasn't a fan of the unions anywhere but I got burnt by an employer here and now I'm protected. Also the union helps financially if you become unemployed (that of course has certain stipulations attached) if your not in a union the kommune will only help if you've been employed for at least 2 years, hence unions are a safe option for newcomers.
So next the Language, you can get help from your kommune with Danish lessons but again you have to have a cpr, the courses are free but they only help for a limited time, I found working around Danes easier to learn the language that way, still not fluent by any means but the courses help with you getting the jist of what they're saying.
Tax, now I've saved the best for last, it's beyond words, it is (I'm trying to explain but this part is hard) I pay for example roughly 40% of what I earn a month in taxes, now pick yourself up off the floor they have a system here the more you owe to someone else, i.e car loan, home loan or other loans acquired here the more tax relief you get, the lower tax you pay but it's a vicious circle to many loans you pay interest and you never get ahead so it's a juggling act and you keep a very close eye on your finances.
I hope I've answered some of your questions, and by reading this post I'm not trying to turn you off living here, it has it's charms and most people are very helpful, I say most because it's like any country there are always those who are complete arses, that's just global.