Swedish sabbatical

Old Aug 17th 2017, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swedish sabbatical

We are a family of 4 interested in spending a year or so in Sweden from next year in either Upsala or perhaps the Stockholm suburbs. Hubbie is professional, self employed and our two children are being home schooled so we wouldn't be a burden on Swedish society as we would be completely self sufficient. Just wondering if there is anybody on this forum who has had an extended holiday in Sweden and whether it is more complicated now because of all the Brexit stuff? Would we have to pay taxes in both countries, etc? We would be renting a home for one year plus and would be treating it as an adventure/education for our children. I believe life is an adventure and adventure is an education - so I am always looking for ways to broaden our childrens' horizons despite family saying that we are mad, irresponsible and selfish. To be honest, we are in a bit of a rut in Britain and want to have a break from all the traffic jams, rat race life, pollution, rude people ... the list goes on!! We want our kids to see that there is a whole world out there to be discovered and Sweden seems to be calling out to us!! Hubbie knows Stockholm quite well as he visits there 2-3 times per year for work and feels sure that Sweden would be great for us. I know visiting is entirely different from living there and "the grass is always greener" but we want to take the chance and see how it goes. We are already learning basic Swedish as don't want to be lazy and speak English the entire time we are there. We are not taking this lightly and want to do plenty of research before we take the plunge. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated - positive or otherwise . Many thanks!