Reload this Page >

Problems moving to Scandinavia

Problems moving to Scandinavia

Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Titchy will become famous soon enough
Default Problems moving to Scandinavia

Hello all - good to be here.

We are planning to move to Sweden in the new year to open a shop in Gothenburg. We have a problem as there does not seem to be a ferry company leaving the UK to Scandinavian regions that will accept larger vehicles ie a large van. We also have a dog and no ferry companies from UK accept pets!

Will we end up driving across northern Europe from France or Holland? and will the the dog have to fly from Heathrow at great expense?

Hope someone can advise/help - cheers!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Problems moving to Scandinavia

Anyone? Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:02 am
Violent Potato Promotor

Ophelia will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Titchy
Anyone? Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Hello! Which ferry company have you been looking at? DFDS I presume. There are other ferry companies that sail to Scandinavia. I remember a few years ago my parents were going to get the ferry over to Gothenburg, and then the DFDS ferry caught fire (remember that?) and their trip across was cancelled. So they ended up going with this other ferry company. It's really a cargo type ship, I mean, they don't advertise for passengers but it is possible to go over on that with your can/van whatever as a private person. They were chatting to some removal guy who was going across so I guess relatively big transport is accepted. If you already know about what I am talking about and have checked it out with no sucess, sorry I cant be much help. Otherwise I can get onto my mum and ask her for names and numbers of this boat!

As for the dog, I am surprised you can't get it across considering how much they like taking their dogs everywhere around here. Have you thought about getting the ferry to Denmark or Belgium and then driving up? Maybe as two trips?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Hello - many thanks.

Apparently DFDS is the only ferry company operating from the UK to Sweden/Denmark now and they are the only company that does not accept pets of any kind on board and no vehicles larger than a family estate car. It's incredible isn't it?

Cargo shipping may be our only option and it's something i'll have to research as I've no idea how this works.

We're also considering ferrying the van to France and then driving all the way up to north Denmark and ferrying over from there but it's a long hike.

The name/number of the cargo vessel they used would be of great help- thanks.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:24 pm
Violent Potato Promotor

Hello - many thanks.

Apparently DFDS is the only ferry company operating from the UK to Sweden/Denmark now and they are the only company that does not accept pets of any kind on board and no vehicles larger than a family estate car. It's incredible isn't it?

Cargo shipping may be our only option and it's something i'll have to research as I've no idea how this works.

We're also considering ferrying the van to France and then driving all the way up to north Denmark and ferrying over from there but it's a long hike.

The name/number of the cargo vessel they used would be of great help- thanks.
The cargo ferry company is called DFDS Torline, they only have 12 berths apparently, so they're not exactely advertising for passengers. They sail from Immingham. I hope you haven't already tried this one, and that it works out.
What kind of shop are you setting up in Gothenburg by the way?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Great no I havn't heard of the shipping company. Tak! I'll track them down.

The shop we will open will sell second hand records, movie posters, 60's clothing furniture and decorative items and anything inbetween.

We are selling everything we own basically. Setting up a small shop will help us get a personal number right away and give us breathing space to earn a bit of money and learn the language.

We love Gothenburg and cannot wait to move over and get started on a new life.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:47 am
Violent Potato Promotor

Great no I havn't heard of the shipping company. Tak! I'll track them down.

The shop we will open will sell second hand records, movie posters, 60's clothing furniture and decorative items and anything inbetween.

We are selling everything we own basically. Setting up a small shop will help us get a personal number right away and give us breathing space to earn a bit of money and learn the language.

We love Gothenburg and cannot wait to move over and get started on a new life.
Oh, the shop sounds great! Let me know the address when you get set up - I'll have to visit it next time I am in Gothenburg.
It's good that you're getting the personnummer straight away. It is a nightmare trying to do anything if you haven't got one, and if you're trying to get one though being employed, the whole process can take at least 6 months - or at least it did for me.
You'll soon get away with the language as you'll be living in the country. And everyone says Gothenburg is fun. I havent spent much time there so far as I always seem to only travel there to fly home to visit.
Lycka till!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

]"Setting up a small shop will help us get a personal number right away"

Well that's what we have been told by 'Invest in Sweden' lets hope it's true - it should take about a month after the company registration is recieved.

Why did you move to Sweden? and what has your experience of Swedish life been like so far?
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 3:26 pm
Violent Potato Promotor

]"Setting up a small shop will help us get a personal number right away"

Well that's what we have been told by 'Invest in Sweden' lets hope it's true - it should take about a month after the company registration is recieved.

Why did you move to Sweden? and what has your experience of Swedish life been like so far?
There is an 'Invest in Sweden' organisation?!?!? Please tell me the website for that one! My experience of non swedes getting work here has not been so good, but I am in a different boat as I am looking for work, whereas you are setting up business, so you're giving yourself the job, so to speak.
I think if you are a job seeker without years of experience in some professional area (ie me) then finding work here is tough. But its not all bad in Sweden, there are of course advantages and disadvantages. But I think its easier if you go to a big city.
I am in a city... but its a small one. I came over here mainly to be closer to my boyfriend, also because I didnt know what to do after I had finished my degree... obviously everyone in this dilemma thinks to themselves 'I know, I'll move to Sweden!' he he.
Be warned. They love paper work over here so be prepared to fill in forms!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Here you go:

http://www.isa.se/templates/Startpage____2008.aspx

We're doing as much research and preperation as possible before we head over and we have to sell our house first which is proving to be a slower process than we presumed it would be a month or so ago - everyones selling at the moment and no ones buying.

We intend to get part time work in one of the many bars or cafe's in Gothenburg during some evenings to bolster our earnings and hopefully that won't be too tricky to achieve - Invest in Sweden have been brilliant and have really boosted our confidence and despite our pathetic Swedish language skills we're feeling quite optimistic at the moment. Just wish we could find an easy route out of the UK.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:36 pm
Violent Potato Promotor

Here you go:

http://www.isa.se/templates/Startpage____2008.aspx

We're doing as much research and preperation as possible before we head over and we have to sell our house first which is proving to be a slower process than we presumed it would be a month or so ago - everyones selling at the moment and no ones buying.

We intend to get part time work in one of the many bars or cafe's in Gothenburg during some evenings to bolster our earnings and hopefully that won't be too tricky to achieve - Invest in Sweden have been brilliant and have really boosted our confidence and despite our pathetic Swedish language skills we're feeling quite optimistic at the moment. Just wish we could find an easy route out of the UK.
As you are going to a big place, I am sure you will pick up something part time like that really quickly. Do you have experience in bar work?
You'll get going with the swedish once you're here, so don't worry about that. If you're not actually studying it in some formal environment in the UK, it'll be really tough to make progress with it, I can understand that.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:34 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Hey!

I have family in Gothenburg (I'm actually flying over on Tuesday), so I'd love to stop by the shop once it's up and running!

With regard to the dog, I'd say just get everything started ASAP, i.e. necessary shots and so on. It's a lengthy process, and they're very strict about keeping to deadlines and so on.

Good luck

-Becs
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:44 am
Violent Potato Promotor

Wink Re: Problems moving to Scandinavia

Originally Posted by Becs
Hey!

I have family in Gothenburg (I'm actually flying over on Tuesday), so I'd love to stop by the shop once it's up and running!

With regard to the dog, I'd say just get everything started ASAP, i.e. necessary shots and so on. It's a lengthy process, and they're very strict about keeping to deadlines and so on.

Good luck

-Becs
Have fun in Gothenburg
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:54 pm
It's full of stars

in2deep is an unknown quantity at this point

DFDS sail from Newcastle to Gothenburg every Monday and Friday. Big ferry, takes juggernauts so a van will be easy. If Newcastle is too far, consider Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark. Takes about 4 hours driving from Esbjerg to Helsingør where a 30 minute ferry drops you in Helsingborg, then another few hours drive to Gothenburg.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Problems moving to Scandinavia

Originally Posted by in2deep
DFDS sail from Newcastle to Gothenburg every Monday and Friday. Big ferry, takes juggernauts so a van will be easy. If Newcastle is too far, consider Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark. Takes about 4 hours driving from Esbjerg to Helsingør where a 30 minute ferry drops you in Helsingborg, then another few hours drive to Gothenburg.
That's very helpful.

Thanks everyone for their good advice and i'll let everyone know where the shop is situated in Gothenburg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.