Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Paying Tax for Denmark job

Paying Tax for Denmark job

Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:02 am
Just Joined

muckornettles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying Tax for Denmark job

Hi i need some info if possible. i have been offered a job working in denmark. the company i will be working through will be paying the tax leaving me with a net wage.
Q. will i be exempt from paying tax over here? i plan to work out there for 10 days and come back for 4 days work for 10 days and back for 4 days and so on over the period of a year starting on the 14th of February?

any information would be much appreciated and if i've missed any info out let me know and i'll try and fill you in.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:00 am
Just Joined

redexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paying Tax for Denmark job

Well the thing about Denmark is that the tax system is expensive and complicated, but fair. If you pay too much they give it back without being asked !! I think the easiest thing to do is to go in person to a tax center and talk to them. Their offices are here http://www.skat.dk/skat.aspx?oId=351234 Make sure they explain it to you and not to someone else in danish and then expect them to explain it. Trust me, something always gets lost in translation.

I don't quite understand what you mean by your company paying the tax for you. It's still coming out of your wage packet, but there are some things you can do to raise your tax free allowance.
1. If you travel more than 12km to work, you get a driving allowance. So if you drive 15km, you will NOT be taxed on the petrol for 3 km.
2. Make sure you are not paying church tax (unless you want to join the danish church?).
3. If you pay into a pension, trade union or private social security, this is taken from your paycheque before they calculate the tax, so you end up being taxed on less.

You will have to pay 8% on everything you earn. This is AM bidrag on the wage slip. It is a contribution to the workmarket - it pays for sickpay, unemployment benefit.
You will pay another amount to the council (kommune), but this changes from council to council.

The tax year runs from 1st Jan to 31st Dec.

Hope this helps.