Norway

Old May 20th 2011, 4:12 am
Account Closed

greada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Norway

Hi
I am in Australia i will be moving to Norway next year .
Could anyone compare cost of living betwen Australia and Norway.
I am hoping to be employed in oil gas sector as what i am doing it now in Oz.
Any recommendations what would be the best city for english speaker with less rain
Thanks
Greg
Old May 20th 2011, 3:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norway

Originally Posted by greada
Hi
Any recommendations what would be the best city for english speaker with less rain
Thanks
Greg
Hi Greg

Thats a tall order, but hopefully someone may have experienced both countries

All I can tell you is from my experience Scandinavia is expensive. I've only been there on business though, namely Bergen in Norway
Old May 21st 2011, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

cold_n_wet is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything is relative, its expensive if you compare to UK, I thought Norway was really expensive 10 years ago, but not anymore, now compared to the UK prices for food are alike, smokes and alcohol are heavily taxed,as are automobiles and boats.

Salaries in the OG sector are high, so is the tax. The main oil town is Stavanger, with several OG companies there, weather not so bad.

I work in Bergen, some poeple say it rains alot, I don't think so, if you want warm and sunny maybe saudi is the best place.

Otherwise Norway is great, what do you work as in OZ ?
Old May 21st 2011, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

greada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cold_n_wet
Everything is relative, its expensive if you compare to UK, I thought Norway was really expensive 10 years ago, but not anymore, now compared to the UK prices for food are alike, smokes and alcohol are heavily taxed,as are automobiles and boats.

Salaries in the OG sector are high, so is the tax. The main oil town is Stavanger, with several OG companies there, weather not so bad.

I work in Bergen, some poeple say it rains alot, I don't think so, if you want warm and sunny maybe saudi is the best place.

Otherwise Norway is great, what do you work as in OZ ?
Thanks for replay guys
I am on fpso off westen australian coast working in production as production operator .I will be looking for offshore or refinery position in norway...what your opinion regards language ,is english will be enough for start or norsk is a must for this jobs ?how do you find Bergen like ?what are the cost of rentals over there?greg
Old May 21st 2011, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

cold_n_wet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hei Greg,

I think you will find Norwegian a must for the offshore sector, plus a formal "approved" education. Norwegians are stuck on papers.

Also the norwegian offshore survial course.

House rents varies from around NOK 6000,- month upover.

There is alot of competition to work offshore, so get the language squared away it should be ok. There are a few refineries placed up and down the coast from just north of Stavanger right up to Hammerfest.

As an option there is a lot of process industry in the area near porsgrunn.

Her is one of the major operators job vacant position page

http://www.statoil.com/en/Careers/Jo...%22&key=&c1=64

Good luck
Old May 21st 2011, 3:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cold_n_wet
I wasnt comparing to the UK, I dont live there
I guess as you say everything is relative ....
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by greada
Hi
Thanks
Greg
Ive been to norway twice and it's an absolutely beautiful country - expensive but well worth the visit.....but if you dont like rain - what makes you think you will be able to survive the snow?