Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Need Swedish to work in Sweden?

Need Swedish to work in Sweden?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

chaddsuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Swedish to work in Sweden?

Hi having looked into possibly working in Sweden i noticed a couple of websites that state you dont need swedish to live and work iin sweden...do you guys know if this is the case and how realistic is this?

I did look at their monster site but there is no option to switch to english and all the postings are in swedish ...

anyone got any suggestions or advice please?

thanks

chris
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need Swedish to work in Sweden?

My husband works here and he doesn't speak any Swedish, but he got the job before we moved. It's not impossible to find work without Swedish but it is very, very difficult unless you have a much needed skill.

As for living here (other than work), that can definately be done without Swedish but again it's not easy. Most Swedes speak very good English and are happy to help but you cannot fully engage in society if you don't speak the language. For example, I have made friends here who speak English with me but when we all get together they speak Swedish, naturally, and I spend the time looking like this It's also very frustrating not being able to do things for myself. My Swedish has improved so that I can now deal with most of the post I get, even though it takes me hours.

On a positive, once you have moved and are registered you are entitled to free Swedish lessons.