Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

moving to sweden from england. S1 form???

moving to sweden from england. S1 form???

Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

iwaymo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to sweden from england. S1 form???

hej, tjena, hi, hello.

i'm new to this sort of thing but i'm currently in gothenburg, i want to live in sweden. i love it here.
im 29 and english.
i went to the tax office in stockholm a couple of months ago to apply for my swedish ID number. they took copies of my passport and my proofs that i am financially independant and can support myself here in sweden.
i waited 4 weeks like they said, the girl in the tax office said it should be no problem.
after 6 weeks i received a letter saying my application was rejected as i did not include proof that i could support myself.
i went into the tax office in gothenburg to ask what happened and gave them proof of my financial holdings.
the lady there made some calls and said that all i needed to do to get my ID number was to get hold of an S1 insurance form.
i had never heard of this but went away to get online to look for it.
i cant find anything really and neither can my sister who is a lawyer back in the UK. the only thing we think it could be is the european health insurance card, which i already have. is it a matter of just taking that back into the tax office?

does anybody know if this is what they require please?

i have personal travel insurance too that runs for another 6 months as i've been traveling the world.

also finding places to rent is a nightmare. i am in the position to buy an apartment outright but i need to know if that's possible?
can i just walk into an estate agents and buy somewhere or do i need something before doing so?

im really stuck as i cant seem to find the right information anywhere.
i would really appreciate someone's help.

thankyou. tack så mycket.

andy
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving to sweden from england. S1 form???

Originally Posted by iwaymo
hej, tjena, hi, hello.

i'm new to this sort of thing but i'm currently in gothenburg, i want to live in sweden. i love it here.
im 29 and english.
i went to the tax office in stockholm a couple of months ago to apply for my swedish ID number. they took copies of my passport and my proofs that i am financially independant and can support myself here in sweden.
i waited 4 weeks like they said, the girl in the tax office said it should be no problem.
after 6 weeks i received a letter saying my application was rejected as i did not include proof that i could support myself.
i went into the tax office in gothenburg to ask what happened and gave them proof of my financial holdings.
the lady there made some calls and said that all i needed to do to get my ID number was to get hold of an S1 insurance form.
i cant find anything really and neither can my sister who is a lawyer back in the UK. the only thing we think it could be is the european health insurance card, which i already have. is it a matter of just taking that back into the tax office?

i have personal travel insurance too that runs for another 6 months as i've been traveling the world.

also finding places to rent is a nightmare. i am in the position to buy an apartment outright but i need to know if that's possible?
can i just walk into an estate agents and buy somewhere or do i need something before doing so?

andy
If you search on the Spain forum you will find lots of threads on the S1 form but it is usually issued to retired folk moving overseas to liv,e to enable them to get healthcare other states in the eu. It replaces the E121 and E106 forms.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:22 am
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all
Default Re: moving to sweden from england. S1 form???

Originally Posted by iwaymo
hej, tjena, hi, hello.

im 29 and english.

andy
When I first arrived in Sweden, I registered with the Migrationsverket, (Migration Board) producing my passport, and was registered as a sambo (thats someone living with a partner)

A word about Migrationsverket: if you're an EU citizen, you register your right of residence in the country - you don't 'apply' for residency (in the way a non-EU citizen has to do).

I got my 'personnummer' using my passport as well - and then an ID card. Can't understand why you've been asked for an S1, unless things have changed? Or circumstances are different?

Once you're registered with Skatteverket as a resident, you should register with the Försäkringskassan (Swedish Social Security agency) and that entitles you to health benefits in the country.

http://www.forsakringskassan.se/

If you live in a Swedish property, with Swedish home insurance, that usually covers health care when travelling outside Sweden (mine does).

If you have the money to buy outright, then you can buy a Swedish property whether you are resident in Sweden or not

Swedish estate agents usually arrange one or two viewings: interested parties turn up to view the property. There is usually a fairly conservative 'starting price'

If people start bidding over each other, (and you can place bids on the internet) usually the highest bidder will be invited to sign a contract a few days later. From then on, you’re pretty much committed to buying.

Personally, I don’t like the Swedish system of conveyancing, all done by the agent – who is supposed to deal ‘even handedly’ with both seller and buyer. As only the seller is actually paying the agent, I think it’s, at least, a potential conflict of interest.

All legal documents will be in Swedish, so it goes without saying that you need to know what you’re signing!! Having said that the contract is pretty similar to a British one.

The most common apartment type is a bostadsrätt: you have to ask permission of the company owning the building if you can rent out (usually ‘the company’ is everyone that lives in the building). Typically they'll allow 6 months to perhaps 1-2 years depending on the reason you need to rent out (e.g. living abroad, moving in with a partner elsewhere for a trial). After that period, you'll have to sell if not moving back in.

You can advertise the rental anywhere you want, what you can't do is charge more than would be reasonably expected for a similar sized apartment in the same area - it's a little subjective...! There's always the risk that the renter will later take you to a rent tribunal and if they win, you will need to pay back the difference.

You may already have seen some of the prices in central Stockholm where you pay the monthly avgift (charge) to the company + money to pay off any loan (if any) interest and loan you take for the pris (price) to the bank, e.g. a 2 room place ((living room + bedroom) + kitchen): http://www.dn.se/bostad

However there was a report some months ago that said property prices were 'dangerously high' in Sweden, and needed to come down. Have been some signs this is happening

Good luck!

PS A few property websites listed on the "Moving to Stockholm" thread

Last edited by Wanderer5; Oct 13th 2011 at 9:24 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Ross852 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but im in the exact same position. Im in Gothenburg and applied for my personal number then got a reply asking for an s1 form. Unfortunately i cant get one because i havnt lived in the UK for over 2 years.

I was wondering if the original poster ever got this sorted or if anyone else has any suggestions about a way around this?

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

aian1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ross852
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but im in the exact same position. Im in Gothenburg and applied for my personal number then got a reply asking for an s1 form. Unfortunately i cant get one because i havnt lived in the UK for over 2 years.

I was wondering if the original poster ever got this sorted or if anyone else has any suggestions about a way around this?

Thanks for any help.
I have the same problem too, I bought the private health insurance but they didn't concern. Anyone had this problem and how to solve it? Please get us advice!!!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:04 am
edp
Forum Regular

edp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really nice

I contacted the EU legal department - you don't need an S1, this is a fallacy. Skattaverket will try everything they can not to give you a personal number. as the EU said to me, they are primarily concerned with you not being a burden in any way. My general advise, if you are not already sorted to work in Sweden where the company does all the paperwork for you, don't come. You will face an uphill struggle that will kill your soul!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:05 am
edp
Forum Regular

edp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really nice

...noone will be able to advise you categorically...they will give you a set of criteria but the decision will be discretionary.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:07 am
edp
Forum Regular

Letter from EU:

You encounter in Sweden a problem that most of EU citizens do to get a personal number, without which you cannot do anything in Sweden: open a bank account pass agreements, going to hospital. The Skatteverket is the provider of this number but they are issuing this number only if you prove that you are holder of the so-called portable document S1. (which is wrong other forms and proofs of health insurance can also be presented).
It is clear that the employment agency obstruct the possibility for you to get a job, because they oblige you to pass the SFI course...even if your language skills would suffice to get a job.
Without personal number you cannot pass any employment agreement either.
Under EU rules, (Directive 2004/38/EC and the Alien's Act) you have the right to stay in Sweden, if you have sufficient ressources and a health insurance covering you fully in Sweden.
You are residing with a Swedish citizen, so you should show the Skatteverket that you and your partners have sufficient ressources and that you are covered by the UK social security.
You have to prove the Skatteverket that you are not a "burden" to the Swedish state.
You should really fight to get the personal number, then at least you can look for a job (even outside Arbetsförmedlingen) and pass an agreement.
The unemployment agency should not restrict your possibility to get a job, only on the fact that you have not passed the SFI. You are allowed to find a job without the SFI.
So, first recommendation is to get the personal number! Get a statement from your partner and prove that you have a health insurance valid in Sweden!