Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Am American-want to marry a Welshman and we want to move to Sweden or Norway

Am American-want to marry a Welshman and we want to move to Sweden or Norway

Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

megg333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am American-want to marry a Welshman and we want to move to Sweden or Norway

hello-i am trying to figure out which path to take-whether i should apply for the fiance visa and then the spousal visa or apply for the visitor visa. here was my initial question. hello-i was wondering if you could state whether what i am thinking is correct or not-i am in the us-i am applying for a fiance visa to marry my fiance in wales and once we are married i am applying for a spousal visa-we want to move to sweden or norway-so once i get my spousal visa and then move to sweden or norway-what would be my legal status-after 2 years on the spousal visa would i have to go home to the us? i have gotten advice that-1)You do not need a fiance visa to marry in the UK if you are not planning to live here. If you plan to stay less than six months, you can marry on a marriage visitor visa. Fiancee visas (and the subsequent further leave to remain that you apply for after the ceremony) are for people who plan to live here in the UK after they marry. You don't, so this is what you want to apply for:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...riage-cp/visa/

2)Spousal visas are for people who are already married and plan to move to the UK to live with their British or permanent resident spouse. You wouldn't be applying for this either. If you planned to live in the UK after marrying on a fiancee visa, you'd be applying for further leave to remain. But either way, you don't need a spousal visa and you don't need FLR unless you plan to move here.

3)If you do this correctly, you should not have many worries going to Norway or Sweden. Both are within the EEA. In order to move to either, your husband must exercise his treaty rights. He will likely need to find a job within a certain period of time. You both may need to register and you might need to apply for permits, but these permits cannot cost any money (unlike immigration forms for the UK). After five years, you will have permanent residence in the EEA.

4)You should be definite this is what you want to do, as UKBA will likely need proof that you don't plan to settle in the UK after marriage. But doing the EEA route will save you a lot of hassles with rule changes, proving income, applying for further leave every 2 years, not to mention money and provided there's no problem with UKBA and the marriage visit visa, you should have no period of separation. If you're worried about the visit visa, you can also marry outside the UK in a country that allows people to marry as a visitor (for instance, the US or many places in Europe). please advise if this advice is good and what are the pros and cons. thank you
Old Jun 21st 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Re: Am American-want to marry a Welshman and we want to move to Sweden or Norway

You want to move to Sweden? Haven't you got enough problems already?
Blackie