Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Tori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really nice
Question Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

Hi all,
Just wanted to ask anyone out there with experience what advice they can give about moving to Denmark, I will be living in the Ishoj, (No Danish keyboard yet), area.

I am going to live with a Dane.
I am bringing 2 children, 12 & 14, and have them registered to go to the local school - 100% danish until we get there.
(They are both excited about the move btw).
I have the Rosetta Stone language course.
And of course I need a job!

I am hoping that the advice you can offer will be more useful than the ex-pats site I found in Denmark... I think everyone on there virtually hated the place! That being said 99% were from outside the EU, there was a lot of talk over culture shock and language.

I have visited the country a lot and get on well with my partners family, I have noticed the subtle differences in culture, I am english born n bred, but nothing that they seem to refer to on that site.

So how is it really there?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Yorkie_in_SD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

Originally Posted by Tori-DK
Hi all,
Just wanted to ask anyone out there with experience what advice they can give about moving to Denmark, I will be living in the Ishoj, (No Danish keyboard yet), area.

I am going to live with a Dane.
I am bringing 2 children, 12 & 14, and have them registered to go to the local school - 100% danish until we get there.
(They are both excited about the move btw).
I have the Rosetta Stone language course.
And of course I need a job!

I am hoping that the advice you can offer will be more useful than the ex-pats site I found in Denmark... I think everyone on there virtually hated the place! That being said 99% were from outside the EU, there was a lot of talk over culture shock and language.

I have visited the country a lot and get on well with my partners family, I have noticed the subtle differences in culture, I am english born n bred, but nothing that they seem to refer to on that site.

So how is it really there?
We really like it here. We (me from UK, wife from Germany, 2 kids born in US) moved here in June of last year from SoCal where we'd been for the last 8 years. Our kids (nearly 2 and 5) are in a Danish daycare which they like and we're happy with: our daughter will likely start at International School in August.

IMHO (and also maybe due to our time in the US), the Danes appear very much like the Brits, especially in their sense of humour. They're also very friendly and straight-talking. CPH (where we are) is very kid-friendly and the lifestyle is very laid-back and family-oriented. Holiday allowances are quite generous.

The healthcare system seems very similar to the UK one although dental work here will sting you... Everything is also very expensive (although we're talking in relation to the US for us) but salaries are high in comparison. Public transit is excellent which is fortunate as cars are exceedingly expensive due to the 180% tax.

Danish is difficult to master (for me, anyway...) as the pronunciation deviates so significantly from the written word. Danish courses, as provided by your local Kommune, are free for the first two years (I believe...). However, English is spoken very broadly here and the Danes continually put me to shame in terms of their language skills!

In short, we are quite content here and are enjoying settling into the Danish way of life. If you would like any further info, then please feel free to PM me. Good luck with your move!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Tori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really niceTori-DK is just really nice

Hi Yorkie,
Thanks for the reply. I think what you say was pretty much as I had summed it up before I started reading that other website...was a bit of a worry.

I guess I have an advantage with the language as I have a Danish partner, but so far the Rosetta Stone seems to be working well. I know what you mean about the difference in written and spoken Danish, its a constant source of teasing between us about how words are said. It is very easy to be tempted with pronouncing it the the english way especially when the words are the same, very close to the english.

The move is coming together slowly, just waiting for someone to rent our house now from us. So...5 weeks-ish and counting.

Tori
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Anyone considering the move to Denmark:

I found this site today by complete accident, I have been looking for something like this for months.

http://www.finfo.dk/education-en/lea...r-adult-aliens

It has some great information about being new to Denmark, education, law culture etc. and the Danish language courses. The best part is that the site might be Danish but you can read it all in English.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Jgod is an unknown quantity at this point

Try using the alt or altgraphics buttons on your keyboard for the æøå letters if you have a mac they are 'oa respectively.

We did the move five years ago, finding work is very dependant on the language, unless you do something special. Sign up for the local language courses through the Kommune, when you get a CPR number - you need it for all sorts of stuff bank, insurance, doctor e.t.c. If you want a cheap mobile, just buy a card from Netto, no monthly fee, and get used to Skype calls !

If you have a trade, then research if you can register with the danish organisation, as you will be stuffed without it.

However you will like the fact that when you get work, you get holiday pay and tax refunds automatically. Once you earn here , prices don't seem to bad, but you should expect to research well where you do your grocery shopping.

Joe

West Jutland
Old Apr 20th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

Cheers guys for the advice you gave, I got a little distracted with the actual move and havn't been here much with all the stress etc!

But... We have arrived!

Now resident in th Ishøj area, just outside Copenhagen. Been here a week and too busy unpacking boxes to really stick my head out there and see whats happening.

For anyone else reading this then some basic advice as I have discovered:

Although movement in the EU for EU passport holders is virtually free there are some qualifications to that depending on the country your going to. Also free does not refer money and there are still some pretty heafty costs involved in the actual move!

First I am still finiding out all the legal hoops I have to jump to be properly registered here, as on no site did I find a detailed process I had to follow. It was my understanding, and my Danish partners, that I just had to register us at the local council office. Apparantly not, I have first to visit an office in Copenhagen to get 'permission' to reside here. More on that later.

What I really wanted to note was the hidden costs in moving out of the UK that I discovered.

Insurances - house, car etc.: As with any insurance if you cancel early you may have outstanding payments to make and also watch out for the 'early cancellation fees'.

Mortgage Fees - I choose to rent out my property in the UK, what I hadn't planned on was the mortgage companies fee for giving permission to rent it, £300.00 (in 2012).

Pets - I had hoped to re-home my 2 cats, but 4 months and no takers made me consider the local cats homes. I was naive, I left it until the very last moment before trying them and I did not forsee them all being totally full. I was ringing homes upto 40miles away with no luck.
So, with my last option being euthanasia at £35.00 each, (so not considering that and not due to the cost either), or having them sent on to me here, this is in process right now as they are being fostered by my brother at the moment, the costs are already piling up as follows: Rabies shot £25.00, Pet Passport £32.00, Micro chip £26.00, Shipping £300.00? (These prices are per cat and approximate, also the shipping price has yet to be confirmed but could cover both cats.)

Any refunds due from overpayments made to gas and electric companies now urgently needed!

I am sure there are a lot more that I shall remember as I settle in but for now I am going to go and count the pennies left in my penny jar....

Last edited by Tori-DK; Apr 20th 2012 at 12:32 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Shanmoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Tori,
Congratulations on the move. Im half Danish and have actually just returned to the UK after 4 and 1/2 years of living over there, so I pretty much know the system like the back of my hand. For your info I lived in Vesterbro, which is west Copenhagen.
Yes you will need a residence and work permit first, but it shouldnt be a problem as you are en EU citizen and also have a partner out there.
You can have a really good life out there, especially in the summer, the countryside is so beautiful, and there is so much to do in and around Copenhagen. It is a good country to bring up children. The tough bits are the language and finding work.
Once you have your CPR number you can of course start looking for jobs. There are English full time vacancies out there BUT they are extremely difficult to get, being mostly in international IT and pharmacy companies.
I started off by doing temp ("vikar") work in kitchens and the like although you need some level of Danish. Then a friend at the Danish school suggested that I try teaching English. There are various schools around in the Copenhagen area. Its kind of like being self employed as you work on a sort of agency basis for the schools. One thing it will do is get you going into the international companies or ones that have some use of English, and getting contacts through that.
Have you found the paper or internet version of the Copenhagen Post? Theres a section in there where you can write a bit about yourself and what you are looking for. And details of job websites etc.
I strongly recommend that you join up with the British Expats meetup group in Copenhagen, there are also lots of other international expat groups where you can get lots of advice and tips and go to meets and other events,
Well thats all Ive got time to write just now but there is anything specific you want to know, just drop me a line. Otherwise I will write again when I think of some more useful things to know!
And ..... Held og lykke, as the Danes would say.

Shan
Old May 8th 2012, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Fitz88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack the thread but what would it be like for a twenty something to move to Copenhagen? Do you need a work permit and residence visa?
Old May 9th 2012, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fitz88
Sorry to hijack the thread but what would it be like for a twenty something to move to Copenhagen? Do you need a work permit and residence visa?
Hey Fitz, where are you native? Within or outside the EU?

Different rules apply.

But for a British national as a member of the EU, we have 'freedom' of movement. What they don't make clear is that you can stay here for 3 months without having to announce anything to the Danish authorities but then you can't claim, work etc. either.
If you have a job, found a job or are looking for a job then you can extend that for up to 6 months. I am still not sure what happens after that clearly.... I assume that once your in work then you stay is unlimited.

For a non-EU national you will have to apply for all the visa's and its better to start that at the Danish consul in your own country.

Hope this helps.
Old May 10th 2012, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Fitz88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I'm a brit in canada. That's pretty awesome.

How are you finding job hunting there?
Old May 11th 2012, 5:32 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Shanmoo;10032579]Tori,
Congratulations on the move....QUOTE]

Hey, thankyou and I'm sorry I didn't get chance to answer earlier.

Thanks for the advice on the job hunting I checked out the on-line version of the paper and found a couple of leads, but until I get that car sorted this weekend I am still a bit stuck. (Discovered cycling is fun here but not with shopping for four of us!)

I think once I have the car and get started on the Danish course I will look into a course for teaching english. It was an idea I was playing with when I considered the move, so I shall check it out more soon.

Right now my biggest headache are the kids schools... we have landed right in the middle of a lot of public holidays and getting both kids settled in is proving annoying.... out of nearly 3 weeks my son has managed 2 days... the rest of his group are on work experience and the school is a bit stuck as to what to do with him.

For those interested the facts on starting in a Danish school:

The school year runs Jan to Jan-so my daughter has actually fallen back a school year and is finding the work a little easy. I am sure that will change when the get an idea of where she is at.

The summer holidays are June and July. Also infants, juniors and seniors all attend the same school building.

The school day seems a little short to me, 4 hours of classes, but then as each child has a schedule worked out for them personally, maybe its just the settling in period.

I have some concerns over them falling back a little in other subjects, but I expected this anyway and maybe they will find it easy to catch up when they start the full curriculum. So, don't expect P.E., cooking, science, technology etc. to appear on their class plans; however they do cover some art in the Danish class.

As they have to start in special Danish classes they have been placed at different schools due to age groups of the other children learning Danish at the moment.

They have an affiliated normal school class, with the Danish children, but until they have a few weeks of 'intensive' Danish under their belts they don't get to spend much if any time with that class.

As to speaking Danish, we are extremely lucky that we live with a Dane and can practise and encourage them at home. It is definitly an idea to try and keep up the Danish at home to quicken up their grasp of the language as there is a lot of basic vocabulary to learn and the more we use it at home the more its sticking with them.

We are still only at the beginning of schooling with them so if anything else comes up I shall post it.

P.S. check out the symbols used for multiplication and division etc. for maths here.... my maths isn't the best and I was totaly lost with the first problem! hehe

Last edited by Tori-DK; May 11th 2012 at 5:53 am.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fitz88
Thanks, I'm a brit in canada. That's pretty awesome.

How are you finding job hunting there?
You shouldn't have much problem with the moving here then. I can't help much with the job front yet, thats starts for me next week when I have a car, hopefully.

But if you have a degree check out shortage of skilled workers list on the Danish site. Personally I am looking for the basic and maybe starting on the teaching course... maybe..

But the main hurdle is the language, there are not much in the way of Danish language courses available in the UK, don't know about canada, and of course as with learning any language its harder when you don't hear it regularly. I did the rosetta stone course before I came and that was a great start but I have learnt a lot more from being here and listening to it constantly.

There is a Danish course for non-speakers that you can attend in your local area, kommune. I am looking to enroll when I can drive.

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/

check out this website for more information on the CPR number etc.

wish you all the best and stay in touch if you decide to move.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

ScouserJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Sorry for the necrothreading, but I thought I'd post in here before starting a new one.

I'm moving to Aalborg from Liverpool in a couple of weeks (month tops) I have a new job, so that bit is OK, but I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas/help on shipping household items over?

There isn't "much" coming with me, 1 bedroom flat kind of stuff (TV, Bed, Sofa, clothes, books. No white goods)

Does anybody have an idea on costs? or time? Everywhere I've looked online says to e-mail for a quote, and I have, but I'd like something to compare them too if possible.

Aside from that, any useful hints on living in Aalborg?

Thanks
John
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

sasha280712 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Tori-DK;10053932]
Originally Posted by Shanmoo
Tori,
Congratulations on the move....QUOTE]

Hey, thankyou and I'm sorry I didn't get chance to answer earlier.

Thanks for the advice on the job hunting I checked out the on-line version of the paper and found a couple of leads, but until I get that car sorted this weekend I am still a bit stuck. (Discovered cycling is fun here but not with shopping for four of us!)

I think once I have the car and get started on the Danish course I will look into a course for teaching english. It was an idea I was playing with when I considered the move, so I shall check it out more soon.

Right now my biggest headache are the kids schools... we have landed right in the middle of a lot of public holidays and getting both kids settled in is proving annoying.... out of nearly 3 weeks my son has managed 2 days... the rest of his group are on work experience and the school is a bit stuck as to what to do with him.

For those interested the facts on starting in a Danish school:

The school year runs Jan to Jan-so my daughter has actually fallen back a school year and is finding the work a little easy. I am sure that will change when the get an idea of where she is at.

The summer holidays are June and July. Also infants, juniors and seniors all attend the same school building.

The school day seems a little short to me, 4 hours of classes, but then as each child has a schedule worked out for them personally, maybe its just the settling in period.

I have some concerns over them falling back a little in other subjects, but I expected this anyway and maybe they will find it easy to catch up when they start the full curriculum. So, don't expect P.E., cooking, science, technology etc. to appear on their class plans; however they do cover some art in the Danish class.

As they have to start in special Danish classes they have been placed at different schools due to age groups of the other children learning Danish at the moment.

They have an affiliated normal school class, with the Danish children, but until they have a few weeks of 'intensive' Danish under their belts they don't get to spend much if any time with that class.

As to speaking Danish, we are extremely lucky that we live with a Dane and can practise and encourage them at home. It is definitly an idea to try and keep up the Danish at home to quicken up their grasp of the language as there is a lot of basic vocabulary to learn and the more we use it at home the more its sticking with them.

We are still only at the beginning of schooling with them so if anything else comes up I shall post it.

P.S. check out the symbols used for multiplication and division etc. for maths here.... my maths isn't the best and I was totaly lost with the first problem! hehe

Hi Tori

We're moving in August to Ballerup. Just wanted to ask which shipping company did you use?

Thank you
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tori-DK
You shouldn't have much problem with the moving here then. I can't help much with the job front yet, thats starts for me next week when I have a car, hopefully.

But if you have a degree check out shortage of skilled workers list on the Danish site. Personally I am looking for the basic and maybe starting on the teaching course... maybe..

But the main hurdle is the language, there are not much in the way of Danish language courses available in the UK, don't know about canada, and of course as with learning any language its harder when you don't hear it regularly. I did the rosetta stone course before I came and that was a great start but I have learnt a lot more from being here and listening to it constantly.

There is a Danish course for non-speakers that you can attend in your local area, kommune. I am looking to enroll when I can drive.

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/

check out this website for more information on the CPR number etc.

wish you all the best and stay in touch if you decide to move.
For Danish courses in the UK try the Danish Institute
http://www.dancult.co.uk/Default.aspx?ID=2172

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.