Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Scandinavia

Old Sep 24th 2017, 1:18 pm   #76
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Poland ? Have you looked at the insane clerico-fascists who run that country now ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%...Kaczy%C5%84ski
Funny, I looked at the link and I see nothing to define or even imply the fellow is clinically insane, nor that he is a fascist by any standard political-science definition.

I don't know internal Polish politics well, but is it such a bad place to live and raise a family if one has a basic economic standard of living ?
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 1:45 pm   #77
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road

Seriously bigmak, if you want the real lowdown on Norway pm me.
Mike1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:00 am   #78
BigMak Male
Just Joined

BigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Annabel12, thats all very helpful and useful, I think as this thread shows everyone will have a different experience or opinion, good bad and otherwise. I suppose thats what makes moving or travelling in general so exciting, one persons paradise is another's nightmare, the diversity is the key and its like anything in life, its what you make of it.
We are planning at trip in November now, its booked, just 3 days but at least give us a flavour of Oslo and then we will see.
In terms of Poland, as above its all relative. Yes some of the politics is at the extremes, but so is ours and so is the US and people will continue to move to both those countries unabated due to everything else they offer. My brother lives in Dubia, not exactly a paragon of openness nor democracy but if you get on within those certain perimeters you seem to have a good life, agree or disagree with its politics people go there, make money and my brother seems to love it, went for a year.....3 years ago.
My partner is Polish, majority of her family still live there and I have been a couple of times, not somewhere I would consider living but fine in terms of a visit....in my eyes, for her it will always be home.
Mike1001 I have spoken to two Norwegians(both living, working in Oslo with families) and they did not sugar coat it, like anywhere its not perfect but they were honest and as above its all for that person, no matter what another thoughts are. Yes Ive heard the horror stories in terms of social service(but as I said we've been through utter hell in the UK, I cant g in to it but its pretty much the worst situation imaginable)and i know prices are astronomical and the weather can be harsh, while the locals can be hard to make friends with....but depending on where you come from thats true of any country, anywhere, at any time. For us its seeing if first we like the feel of the place(that comes very quickly) and if so if its viable to make a move....end of the day worst comes to worst we move back, that I suppose is the beauty of it all, nothing is forever....well bat tax and death as they say!
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:31 pm   #79
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road

Good Luck.
Mike1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st 2017, 11:20 am   #80
Just Joined

Joeymac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have done just that, moved from the UK to Norway.

So the one thing I would ask is what type of work are you thinking? I came with a very good job offer and a bit of the language. I am a quick learner but by no means fluent after 18 months I know what's going on and can explain myself. I can't stress how useful having a reasonable grasp of language before you move is. There are many folk who come with the idea they'll pick it up but what you tend to do is end up working in a shop. I met someone who'd been here 15 years and still wasn't B2 level. There are many here who insist on that for employment.

NTNU has some fantastic resources for beginners.

So what's Norway like.... Actually both sides are correct! The weather is a bit wild but it adds to the amusement. I live in a coastal town so it's warmer.

The issues with children can arise and people are obliged to report suspicion. This is a lot wider than UK but it is what it is. It's worth knowing people are more suspicious of foreign folk so they get reported more.

I prefer the speed of life here and the facilities but it's really down to personal taste. The comments re Sweden and Norway are kind of true. Sweden is much more safe. I find a lot of things are it will probably be alright here, but I like that. I know a lot of others particularly those with young children find it alarming.

Oslo is very different and nothing like Iceland or the rest of Norway. Good luck and enjoy Oslo
Joeymac is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Scandinavia