Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Old May 17th 2017, 7:28 am
Just Joined

BigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

I speak some French, but truth be told Ive never pushed myself in to learning a second language properly, incentive to do it(other than just learn it to pass a a school exam) is a big thing, I hate failing at anything!
Old May 17th 2017, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

< snipped >
Learning new language at 40+ years to a level he could displace native speakers in the job market, is a big ask.

Last edited by BEVS; May 18th 2017 at 12:24 am. Reason: THere is no need for this. you do not walk in the OPs shoes.
Old May 17th 2017, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Learning new language at 40+ years to a level he could displace native speakers in the job market, is a big ask.
I guess though depends on the individual, if the OP learnt some French I assume that he has an idea of his own learning capacity. This goes back to the lifestyle OP mentions as a factor in wanting to move- this has a big effect. Maybe OP has hobbies that locals will share, this can help in learning language or integrating.

Just moving for adventure, and moving to a place because of impressions, seems a big gamble.

A lot depends on the type of job though. Some areas of IT or even Academia English can be all one needs. Or perhaps some technical jobs.

I saw a show on the Faeroe Islands, if OP has identified Norway because of its lifestyle as an option, I mention Faeroe Islands as it appeared as they are looking for families to move in. Or maybe Shetland ?

Last edited by moneypenny20; May 18th 2017 at 4:23 am. Reason: quoted a sentence that had been removed.
Old May 17th 2017, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

The is probably an economic reasons why Faeroe Islands are losing population.
Old May 17th 2017, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

The is probably an economic reasons why Faeroe Islands are losing population.
Yes but the OP indicated besides just adventure, it was a quality of life issue. I would think for a child place like Faroe islands or Shetland would be a nice, safe and healthy place to grow up.For employment my impression is some of these islands are looking for people. Shetland recently was looking a nurse for one its outer islands, provided a lot of economic incentive to take the job.
Old May 17th 2017, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I concede that Faroe and Shetland may be better options for OP than Iceland Norway, from what little we know of his situation.

But the fact that nurse for Shetlands outer islands, is being provided with a lot of economic incentive to take the job shows that for an average family these islands are not an obvious destinations.
I would worry how I would fit into such small tight knit communities, which have evolved over many generations.
Old May 17th 2017, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

BigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond repute

Again everyone my post was to get some tups advice on do's/don'ts and what may be helpful....not if Im a dreamer or a doer trust me geoff52 as you know zero bar what i put on here to say thats slightly insulting, Ive done things at 40+ that someone at 25 or 25 r 55 can only "dream" of, thats for me to know though. So again please lets stick to giving some advice and not commenting on people who they clearly dont know....I think that reflects much more on you then me. Some of us can talk and walk the walk, thats not your call, this is purely me seeking advice from people that may have done a similar move especially to the countries I mention not a running commentary if its right or wrong. thanks.

Just as a PS as such if people that moved pre internet did so with a lot od advise on here the world would be a much sadder and much more bleak place, are we all saying we do things that are 100% guaranteed? If so I wish you all well....but sometimes in a normal life everyday brings something new and unexpected, I feel pretty sad for those of you that think everything should be planned, calculated and any failure completly negated....what world are you in??!!

Any enough said....i think Ive made my point.

Last edited by BigMak; May 17th 2017 at 10:46 pm.
Old May 18th 2017, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Good luck for the future.
It would be nice if you keep the forum up dated with your adventure. It may serve as an inspiration to others.
Old May 18th 2017, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BigMak
Again everyone my post was to get some tups advice on do's/don'ts and what may be helpful....not if Im a dreamer or a doer trust me geoff52 as you know zero bar what i put on here to say thats slightly insulting, Ive done things at 40+ that someone at 25 or 25 r 55 can only "dream" of, thats for me to know though. So again please lets stick to giving some advice and not commenting on people who they clearly dont know....I think that reflects much more on you then me. Some of us can talk and walk the walk, thats not your call, this is purely me seeking advice from people that may have done a similar move especially to the countries I mention not a running commentary if its right or wrong. thanks.

Just as a PS as such if people that moved pre internet did so with a lot od advise on here the world would be a much sadder and much more bleak place, are we all saying we do things that are 100% guaranteed? If so I wish you all well....but sometimes in a normal life everyday brings something new and unexpected, I feel pretty sad for those of you that think everything should be planned, calculated and any failure completly negated....what world are you in??!!

Any enough said....i think Ive made my point.
Best of luck. It is hard to give any advice of observations without knowing what someone is moving from, or a bit more detail. I had considered moving to Malmo at one point, and do have experience moving to other countries. Gordan's post and his family relation shows he has some first hand recent information. But there wasn't much to go on.

I think you may have misunderstood the intent of some of the posts. I agree not everything can be guaranteed in life, but certainly listening to various opinions cant hurt- especially if a child is involved.
Old May 18th 2017, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I concede that Faroe and Shetland may be better options for OP than Iceland Norway, from what little we know of his situation.

But the fact that nurse for Shetlands outer islands, is being provided with a lot of economic incentive to take the job shows that for an average family these islands are not an obvious destinations.
I would worry how I would fit into such small tight knit communities, which have evolved over many generations.
good point, and that concern would apply to many rural communities. but is that better than large city with the problems large cities bring ?
Old May 18th 2017, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Originally Posted by morpeth
good point, and that concern would apply to many rural communities. but is that better than large city with the problems large cities bring ?
I don't mind large cities, because I look for neighborhoods within the city that suite me. I have traveled extensively and immigrated from UK to Ontario Canada.
I spend part of the year in the UK in Coventry. Some parts of the city have a lot of social problems. However, I live in a pleasant neighborhood of the city where I grew up. In fact, I inherited the house that I grew up in. I know most of the people by name in the surrounding streets. The neighborhood is full of childhood memories for me. I still have quite a few relatives in the area and I enjoy living there. To another person my neighborhood would have no attraction at all.
For me its people (family and friends) that are important for me to be happy, not bricks and mortar or rivers and mountains. For me having nice surroundings is just a bonus.
Old May 18th 2017, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Yes but the OP indicated besides just adventure, it was a quality of life issue. I would think for a child place like Faroe islands or Shetland would be a nice, safe and healthy place to grow up.For employment my impression is some of these islands are looking for people. Shetland recently was looking a nurse for one its outer islands, provided a lot of economic incentive to take the job.
Exactly and just because a place isn't mainstream, doesn't mean it's not a good place. Inishturk for example might be losing people but I can also see why some people would want to live there away from the madness

https://vimeo.com/172273624
https://vimeo.com/melfilms/inishtrump
Old May 18th 2017, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you all, indeed I will look to keep you updated.
I agree its people, family & friends, work colleagues and others actually in your life that are whats important.
For me its my partner, my kids and then others. Yes i would miss the extended family but truth be told we see each other only ever month or so anyway. Friends as always as you get older you see less however when you do its like you only saw them yesterday.
It would be good to add to our life tapestry with more stories, lets see, but certainly looking forward to giving it a go.
Old May 18th 2017, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BigMak
Thank you all, indeed I will look to keep you updated.
I agree its people, family & friends, work colleagues and others actually in your life that are whats important.
For me its my partner, my kids and then others. Yes i would miss the extended family but truth be told we see each other only ever month or so anyway. Friends as always as you get older you see less however when you do its like you only saw them yesterday.
It would be good to add to our life tapestry with more stories, lets see, but certainly looking forward to giving it a go.
Good point about good friends, one can not see a friend for years then meet up with them and like yesterday.

I am still curious though, what is it about your perception of life in Norway that is better than the negative trends you see in UK ?

So when do you plan to visit Norway ?
Old May 18th 2017, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't mind large cities, because I look for neighborhoods within the city that suite me. I have traveled extensively and immigrated from UK to Ontario Canada.
I spend part of the year in the UK in Coventry. Some parts of the city have a lot of social problems. However, I live in a pleasant neighborhood of the city where I grew up. In fact, I inherited the house that I grew up in. I know most of the people by name in the surrounding streets. The neighborhood is full of childhood memories for me. I still have quite a few relatives in the area and I enjoy living there. To another person my neighborhood would have no attraction at all.
For me its people (family and friends) that are important for me to be happy, not bricks and mortar or rivers and mountains. For me having nice surroundings is just a bonus.
I like to have nice surroundings, and clean air a plus ! But I also agree a lace with childhood memories and that one feels an emotional attachment to can make up for all that. I experience that in the town in Northumberland my family was from- horrible place ( the town not the county) these days, but I hear the dialect and great to be home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.