British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/)
-   -   Help on childrens rights (sweden) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/help-childrens-rights-sweden-910532/)

teuchterpete Mar 17th 2018 12:41 pm

Help on childrens rights (sweden)

My son ( in the UK) has a daughter living permenantly with her mother in Sweden. He wants to take her back to UK for a short holiday and/or bring her to visit us ( grandparents) here in Spain ( her mother continually refuses to give consent) . He has been told that at 9yo, she can legally travel without her mother's consent. Can anyone help or point me in direction where I can find relevant law/advice etc. Happy to receive a p.m. to avoid advertising.
Pete

Thairetired2016 Mar 17th 2018 1:31 pm

Re: Help on childrens rights (sweden)

Originally Posted by teuchterpete (Post 12464649)
My son ( in the UK) has a daughter living permenantly with her mother in Sweden. He wants to take her back to UK for a short holiday and/or bring her to visit us ( grandparents) here in Spain ( her mother continually refuses to give consent) . He has been told that at 9yo, she can legally travel without her mother's consent. Can anyone help or point me in direction where I can find relevant law/advice etc. Happy to receive a p.m. to avoid advertising.
Pete

Have you considered getting legal advise from a lawyer?
A 9yo may be able to travel unaccompanied by the mother but travel without consent?

teuchterpete Mar 17th 2018 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12464670)
Have you considered getting legal advise from a lawyer?
A 9yo may be able to travel unaccompanied by the mother but travel without consent?

Yes that would seem to be the best option, but just thought I would try and find out whatever I could before going over there.

Gordon Barlow Apr 1st 2018 4:14 am

I very much doubt it. Our two Norwegian granddaughters have several times travelled with their father from Norway to London with their English father (and on to the Caribbean, though that was never a factor). He always, always, carried a letter of consent from their mother, just in case... I realise that that was from Norway, not Sweden, but I expect the rules are similar. He (your son) would surely be taking a huge risk if he abducted the child without the mother's consent. He could be jailed for human-trafficking, for goodness sake! Couldn't you visit her in Sweden, instead?

Dorothy Apr 1st 2018 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12473771)
I very much doubt it. Our two Norwegian granddaughters have several times travelled with their father from Norway to London with their English father (and on to the Caribbean, though that was never a factor). He always, always, carried a letter of consent from their mother, just in case... I realise that that was from Norway, not Sweden, but I expect the rules are similar. He (your son) would surely be taking a huge risk if he abducted the child without the mother's consent. He could be jailed for human-trafficking, for goodness sake! Couldn't you visit her in Sweden, instead?

Where did anyone say that they were planning to take the child without the mother's consent?

And human trafficking? Seriously?

BritInParis Apr 1st 2018 8:57 am

Without the mother’s consent or a court order your son runs the risk of being accused of international child abduction. Also if the mother refuses to give consent then how is he expecting to get his daughter on a plane with her passport?

dmu Apr 1st 2018 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12473812)
Where did anyone say that they were planning to take the child without the mother's consent?

In the OP's #1.
His son could be accused of attempted abduction at the Border Control if his child's mother hasn't given her consent. As she has continually refused, she might even have informed the Border Control Authorities of her refusal...
We don't know the couple's circumstances/status, but these Rules are to prevent one parent from removing a child from the other parent's country of residence and, in France at least, to prevent minors from leaving the country on their own (e.g. to join Daesh).
As suggested, the OP and family could go to Sweden on a visit and try to work things out with the mother on the spot.
An unhappy situation for every one concerned, esp. the child....

Dorothy Apr 1st 2018 11:49 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12473844)
In the OP's #1.
His son could be accused of attempted abduction at the Border Control if his child's mother hasn't given her consent. As she has continually refused, she might even have informed the Border Control Authorities of her refusal...
We don't know the couple's circumstances/status, but these Rules are to prevent one parent from removing a child from the other parent's country of residence and, in France at least, to prevent minors from leaving the country on their own (e.g. to join Daesh).
As suggested, the OP and family could go to Sweden on a visit and try to work things out with the mother on the spot.
An unhappy situation for every one concerned, esp. the child....

In post #1 the OP.says they are looking for legal advice. Nowhere do they say they're looking for a way to abduct the child.

dmu Apr 1st 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12473925)
In post #1 the OP.says they are looking for legal advice. Nowhere do they say they're looking for a way to abduct the child.

Correct.
But he had also been told that, at 9 years old, his daughter can legally travel without her mother's consent. Not correct, which is why we've warned him of the risks he would run if he took this for Gospel truth.
Maybe Teuchterpete could come back with feedback, as this concerns expats of all nationalities where couples have separated and children are involved....