Copenhagen

Old Jun 6th 2001, 3:45 pm
Tim

Myself and family are likely to be emigrating to Copenhagen in October. What we have been told is that north of the city is nice. Is there anyone who can give us any advice on areas to live. We have two girls 2 1/2 and 6mths, we have heard that nursery's are a bit difficult to get in to?

Old Jun 7th 2001, 8:32 am
Steen Larsen

>

Depending on which job you have, and what social level you are living on.. Hellerup,
Klampenborg, Gentofte is where the rich people live, and embassy-staff aso. Big
houses, and big apartments. Yes, nursery is difficult to find, but in that area I
think you easy can find some for children from foreign countries. /Steen

Old Jun 7th 2001, 10:26 am
Cecilie Thorning Jac

Dear Tim, Where you could/should live depends on your budget, where your work is
located, whether you *want* a garden, how many rooms you *have to have* and such -
please specify if you want a useful answer. Living space is considerably more
expensive pr. sqm than in the States and hardly anyone have their own pool.

Daycare - OMG contact the Kommune Kontor immediately about daycare when you have
found a place to live perhaps before to get info on the waitinglist. This office is
also where you get assigned /chose a family physician aswell and get a yellow
"Sygesikringsbevis" a healthcare ID that you also use elswhere ie. at libraries.

Depending on the area you can expect up to 1 years wait for a kindergarden but
probably less for daycare. The price per month per child is app. 1500Dkr
perhaps more.

You should *really* ask your employer to get you some background information/contact
addresses on the daycarething and how to register for healthcare and taxes to save
you at least a bit of the hassle.

When all is said and done - official paperwork in Denmark is still easypeasy compared
to elsewhere in Europe and it is a very safe country compared to the rest of Europe
and particularly the States. You can do your taxes via the net, but unlocked bikes do
invariably get stolen! Good luck Cecilie

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 8th 2001, 3:14 pm
Stretch

>
    >
    >
    >
-------
I´d like to add one thing to the excellent advice you`ve already recieved about
settling in Copenhagen. When you choose a place to live , you should also think
about how much you and your family, will depend on commuting . Living close to an
"S-train" station could be a timesaver.

Kristian

who spend two hours daily commuting .......