British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/)
-   -   Career progression in Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/career-progression-scandinavia-843831/)

Ugo51 Sep 25th 2014 5:54 am

Career progression in Scandinavia

I've just saw another thread takling the issue "are jobs for English speakers available in Scandinavia?".
I take this subject a step forward and I ask: what are the chances, for an immigrant, to be and remain competitive on the market?

Personally I know only two people who are working or had been working in Scandinavia for a long period of time.
The first is very young and despite being technically an immigrant she's been living in Norway since she was 13 - she's doing fine, she's got a great job and a good prospect of career progression.
The latter lived in Stockholm for 9 years before to find herself stuck in a Postdoc position from which there was no way out, despite her being highly qualified.

Any inputs on this matter? Is it so hard for a European immigrant to compete against native citizens in Scandinavia?

Mike1001 Sep 28th 2014 4:49 pm

Re: Career progression in Scandinavia

Honestly. You will find it very difficult. I have a masters degree a couple of diplomas and and VQ's coming out of my ears. I have to go abroad for work assignments. My Swedish is poor. If it was decent I think a lot more jobs would be available. Without the language forget it , unless of course you have been recruited into Sweden for a particular job where English is acceptable.

Ugo51 Sep 28th 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks for your reply Mike. Honesty is what I am looking for :)

May I ask what field do you work in?

Gordon Barlow Sep 28th 2014 10:29 pm

Ugo. Surely much depends on what jobs you want. My son went to Norway ten years or so ago and found work easily enough in the construction business, where he didn't have to be able to read the lingo.

Ugo51 Sep 29th 2014 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11421488)
Ugo. Surely much depends on what jobs you want. My son went to Norway ten years or so ago and found work easily enough in the construction business, where he didn't have to be able to read the lingo.

Thanks Gordon. I'm a researcher, my wife is an event manager.

In a way my position is more tricky than hers because we know that she needs to know the language since the very first day, while I could get away with English.

The problem, and main topic of this thread, is that I'm afraid to find myelf stuck after a number of years because the chances of progression are slim for non-Scandinavian.

scot47 Oct 5th 2014 10:01 am

I am constantly amazed at Anglo-monoglots who expect to function without speaking the language. Cretins !

Ugo51 Oct 5th 2014 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11428312)
I am constantly amazed at Anglo-monoglots who expect to function without speaking the language. Cretins !

I stuggle to understand how this rant fits in the discussion but, generally speaking, yes, you are right. Feeling better now? :lol:

scot47 Oct 5th 2014 5:16 pm

Vedammte Angelsachsen !

Ugo51 Oct 5th 2014 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11428616)
Vedammte Angelsachsen !

"r"

Find where it's missing :rofl:

scot47 Oct 6th 2014 12:29 pm

Can I borrow your glasses ? I lost mine when I was looking for the grog.