Reload this Page >

British in Sweden?!

British in Sweden?!

Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Ricky321x is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation British in Sweden?!

Hi!
Are there any Brits living in Sweden? if so how does life compare to the UK?
How difficult is it to find a job? How much is the average rent of a small house/apartment just outside a city centre? If i was to move to Sweden how much would you say i need to save up if i was to rent?
Thanks

Oops just read title and realised its wrong ..
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:33 pm
tyr
Just Joined

tyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British in Sweden?!

Originally Posted by Ricky321x
Hi!
How difficult is it to find a job? How much is the average rent of a small house/apartment just outside a city centre? If i was to move to Sweden how much would you say i need to save up if i was to rent?
Thanks

www.thelocal.se

Finding a job is very very hard indeed unless you know Swedish (well...even then) or fit some exact niche in IT, engineering or whatever. Its a differnet hiring culture to the UK, far more based on who you know rather than what you know.

Rent is pretty cheap. I and my flatmate were paying 5000 sek (the exchange rate is really crap now, that used to be more like 400 than 500) a month for a good sized 2 bedroom flat in a somewhat central part of Uppsala. A friend of mine living further out was paying a similar amount for a flat so big it was practically a house.

Life is good. Its quiet and laid back. A little too quiet really, that's my main complaint. My parents would love it- just going for walks in the countryside and picking fruit and all that sort of thing, but for a guy in his 20s....myeh.
Crime is non-existant by British standards.

One bad thing though is their drugs policy. They treat weed the way the UK treats heroin and alcohol can only be bought from special government owned shops with inconveniant opening times for a rather large amount of money- no buying six packs, beers are only bought in singals for at least a pound each. A bottle of vodka costs around 20 quid as standard.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

Thank you very much!
Do you work and if so what sector? Im qualified in customer service do you think i would find it even harder to get a job in that sector?
Also i dont yet speak swedish and if i decide to move to Sweden i will make sure i speak it well (which i know will take years)
Do you speak fluent swedish? and did you speak fluent when you went there?

Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:02 pm
tyr
Just Joined

No, I was a student there. Tried/trying to work there (or anywhere really) but nothing yet.
I don't speak fluent Swedish no, I'm decent but my vocabulary is limited. I didn't speak it when I went there but picked it up over 2 years. As languages go its a pretty easy one but its still a language and languages are damn hard.
Customer service...I dunno. I don't think it'd be too in demand if you're just speaking English, the customers are Swedes afterall.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Studying that sounds interesting, i mean i could always go and study then find a job.
What did you study and were? and was the course english speaking?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:27 pm
tyr
Just Joined

Studying that sounds interesting, i mean i could always go and study then find a job.
What did you study and were? and was the course english speaking?

Thanks!
IT in Uppsala.
It was English, there's lots of courses in English in Sweden.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:21 pm
born to be mild

mazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nice

Get a job before you come to Sweden.

http://www.jobsinstockholm.com/?sector=it
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

thanks for the link.
Unfortunately My profession isnt listen

Other links would be great!

Thankyou
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:56 pm
born to be mild

mazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nice

you might find customer service jobs under another heading,also the link given previously http://www.thelocal.se/jobs/ may have some listings and other links such as Monster should be there. Heres another that may be of some use http://www.easyexpat.com/en/stockhol...ecruitment.htm

Good Luck.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Hi!
Thanks

Hi,
I am Swedish, but I moved town to Spain in 2001. Just because it was difficult so find a job in Sweden. I found it much more easy here in southern Spain. I have not been whithout a job a single day since i left Sweden. And besides, the climate is far better here.