*epic delurk*

Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:44 am
Just Joined

lupine_85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default *epic delurk*

So I joined up in 2011 - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740060 - and, shamefully, did basically nothing with my membership.

Over the past 2-and-a-bit years, I've bought a house in .uk (I know, I said I didn't want to - but I wanted to keep paying rent even less) but continued to keep an eye on moving away. I now have a fairly concrete ambition to leave - almost certainly for mainland Europe - within the next 2-3 years, tops (outstanding financial obligations like the mortgage, car, etc being the main thing keeping me here right now).

One major development is that I have negotiated the option to keep my existing job(!) when leaving the country, transitioning to remote working instead, with very occasional visits back to the office. This is quite a boon, as it allows me to look into slightly-more-rural parts of industrialised countries, and even less-industrialised countries generally - as long as they have decent internet

Very belated hellos and thank-yous to my lovely welcomers in 2011, anyway, and now ---> the scandinavia forum

/Nick
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *epic delurk*

Originally Posted by lupine_85
So I joined up in 2011 - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740060 - and, shamefully, did basically nothing with my membership.

Over the past 2-and-a-bit years, I've bought a house in .uk (I know, I said I didn't want to - but I wanted to keep paying rent even less) but continued to keep an eye on moving away. I now have a fairly concrete ambition to leave - almost certainly for mainland Europe - within the next 2-3 years, tops (outstanding financial obligations like the mortgage, car, etc being the main thing keeping me here right now).

One major development is that I have negotiated the option to keep my existing job(!) when leaving the country, transitioning to remote working instead, with very occasional visits back to the office. This is quite a boon, as it allows me to look into slightly-more-rural parts of industrialised countries, and even less-industrialised countries generally - as long as they have decent internet

Very belated hellos and thank-yous to my lovely welcomers in 2011, anyway, and now ---> the scandinavia forum

/Nick
Hi Nick...welcome back.

As you are not a new BE member I am moving your thread out of the Welcome Inn...you have mentioned the Scandinavia forum...so I will move it there.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lupine_85

/Nick
Welcome back - and good luck with the plans
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:28 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Nick!!! Glad you have returned to the fold

Best of luck with your move and I hope you will work really hard on establishing a great post count on BE

If you get stuck, please don't hesitate to give me a shout!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Heh, no worries; I figured -> welcome inn as this one was more autobiographical. Thanks (again) for the welomes... now to wait for my other threads to become unmoderated!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:34 am
Just Joined

One thing I think I do need clarification on is tax arrangements. As I said, work are happy for me to do remote working from wherever I may end up. I've done some reading and the impression I've got is that HMRC and other tax agencies care more about where you're sat while doing the work, than where the company you're working for is based, or where the fruits of your labour are sent to.

So if I up sticks and move to, say, finland, with my job, I have no tax liability in .uk (except NI if I want to keep that, and assuming I come on the right side of the statutory residence test, and I think I do), then pay tax in finland at the same rates as any other resident? Presumably, for my company's sanity, I'd be submitting my own tax returns and stuff rather than trying to get them involved in withholding taxes / PAYE.

I don't know if me sat on my own at home, working away, would count as a foreign office of the company - I suspect not? - so there wouldn't be any further obligations on them?

Obviously, I should speak to a tax lawyer type before I move to make sure I do everything right; but I need to narrow it down to a single country first, I think .