Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Get the fast Lexus then
Parking. I want something easily parked in the UK. I can outperform an Italian when it comes to parking in cramped spaces.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
What about a Volvo Xc60? If you're going to stereotype me that's the car I should be driving.
I like Volvo's though ....Why the XC60 though? Why not the 90? What's the difference?
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I like Volvo's though ....Why the XC60 though? Why not the 90? What's the difference?
See above. Parking.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
See above. Parking.
UK parking spaces are small and totally inadequate full stop.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gavtek
I ended up on a truck road close to RAK on way back from Fujairah. 2 lane road with slow moving trucks for miles in both direction, staying as far left as they can to create an unofficial third lane in the middle for cars going in both directions. Not sure if the surface was supposed to be loose gravel or if it was just falling to bits.

Effectively playing chicken with dozens of heavily tinted, old Lexus saloons with sidelights on.

Absolutely terrifying.
I used to love that road.... if its the one I think you mean... Runs from the 311 just south of RAK onto Tawaian and then Dibba. They've spoilt it now by actually making it into a proper dual carriageway with a central reservation and barriers and stuff. Back in the day it used to be full on mental - trucks, crazy locals and camels. At night it was even more terrifying! Drove it daily for 18 months whilst working over there. Even picked up my first 60kmph over 12 points and impoundment on it....

Not too bothered by the 611 or the 311.

For me it has to be between Abu Dhabi and Ruwais (down by the Saudi border) and then the continuation on from Abu Dhabi to Dubai. I used to do that drive a few times a week and on a Thursday afternoon it was full on batshit crazy.

You do get used to it though. I'm often visiting sites in RAK and the east coast and so spend a lot of time driving decent distances. Yesterday for instance I was on site in Khor Fakkan first thing, did a decent days work then left at 3:30pm and still managed to be in a boozer on SZR for the United KO at 5:30pm..... and I went via home to get changed.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:57 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a nomination for the most annoying...the crescent road at the top of the Palm near the Atlantis hotel, especially around 5pm when I leave site. Sad selfie-taking bastards all along that road, loads of them crossing where they want, loads of people double-parking with flashers on, so the usual chaos ensues when people don't anticipate and end up pulling out at the last minute. It sucks, and it's the only way home.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

Used the Dibba truck road many times. I can't say I'm nostalgic for the pot holes, the overtaking on blind corners and hills or even the cars that's overtaking someone else in the process of overtaking a truck. All in pitch black darkness.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 6:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Fatima Bint Mubarak St, about 100m before it joins 1st St, Abu Dhabi.
The junction of Al Firdous St and Zayed the First St -- also Abu Dhabi -- can be pretty dangerous, too.

I think Millhouse can vouch for me there.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Fatima Bint Mubarak St, about 100m before it joins 1st St, Abu Dhabi.
The junction of Al Firdous St and Zayed the First St -- also Abu Dhabi -- can be pretty dangerous, too.

I think Millhouse can vouch for me there.
Deffo a precarious junction. I've been blown away with what I've seen happen there.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

It used to be the E11 west of AD but these days it is an 8 lane streetlit highway with a 160kph limit.

The E22 near Baniyas is a bit hairy on a Thu pm.

After living in Oman for a year I appreciate how good the UAE roads are!
Old Feb 27th 2018, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Take the roads out of it..... how about the question, is the driving in the UAE getting worse again?

I remember how bad it can be and am not saying it is like that now, more that its been steadily declining over the last year or two. Pretty much everyone seems to be a dickhead these days. Possibly just due to the sheer numbers of cars on the roads.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 4:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Take the roads out of it..... how about the question, is the driving in the UAE getting worse again?

I remember how bad it can be and am not saying it is like that now, more that its been steadily declining over the last year or two. Pretty much everyone seems to be a dickhead these days. Possibly just due to the sheer numbers of cars on the roads.
I don't drive much anymore but find that when I do it's kicking out time at the dickhead arms, non stop. Most of the problems I find are just purely down to the 'me first' mentality which I attribute to pure arrogance (although maybe that's unfair, sometimes people just want to get where their going and selfishly don't consider others).
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't drive much anymore but find that when I do it's kicking out time at the dickhead arms, non stop. Most of the problems I find are just purely down to the 'me first' mentality which I attribute to pure arrogance (although maybe that's unfair, sometimes people just want to get where their going and selfishly don't consider others).
Yeah there's lots of that at the minute. Nearly had two smashes on the way into the office this morning.... like seriously. This was just due to bellends doing last minute pull outs into the lane where I was already located just to get a car or two ahead. Now admittedly I drive a lot here and always have done. I easily average over 1,000km a week driving over to the east coast or up to the northern Emirates. Also, I have a heavy right foot and ever since I did my superbike course I have been a believer in what they call 'making progress', I.e. getting upto the legal road speed quickly to reduce the potential of being a hazard to other road users travelling at the correct road speed. These factors combined mean I may seen to some people as being aggressive but a lot of it is more defensive than aggressive, partly due to the training I have done and partly due to driving here for so long.

I was always taught that my actions while driving shouldn't have an impact on other drivers.... meaning do not pull out into a lane if it means that someone else needs to alter their speed in response... no one in this country follows this simple approach. If they did everyone would be a lot happier and the roads would be a lot safer.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:41 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

As I've observed before, it's not personal; they just get in their little metal box and the blinkers go on and they have to get to wherever they are going as fast as possible. Everyone else on the road is just an obstruction to be navigated.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Yeah there's lots of that at the minute. Nearly had two smashes on the way into the office this morning.... like seriously. This was just due to bellends doing last minute pull outs into the lane where I was already located just to get a car or two ahead. Now admittedly I drive a lot here and always have done. I easily average over 1,000km a week driving over to the east coast or up to the northern Emirates. Also, I have a heavy right foot and ever since I did my superbike course I have been a believer in what they call 'making progress', I.e. getting upto the legal road speed quickly to reduce the potential of being a hazard to other road users travelling at the correct road speed. These factors combined mean I may seen to some people as being aggressive but a lot of it is more defensive than aggressive, partly due to the training I have done and partly due to driving here for so long.

I was always taught that my actions while driving shouldn't have an impact on other drivers.... meaning do not pull out into a lane if it means that someone else needs to alter their speed in response... no one in this country follows this simple approach. If they did everyone would be a lot happier and the roads would be a lot safer.
Nobody at all seems to understand this last bit, the amount of times you have to aggressively change course / brake because someone has pulled out is just mental. We nearly crashed (the mrs driving) the other night because a guy pulled out without giving a single shit, joining a main road. We had to swerve and then he pulled up behind us gesturing to ask what he'd done wrong. Fair play to her, she had a tight grip on my arm when the red mist descended and I said I was going to educate him.

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
As I've observed before, it's not personal; they just get in their little metal box and the blinkers go on and they have to get to wherever they are going as fast as possible. Everyone else on the road is just an obstruction to be navigated.
Yep and they're the same ***** who think they should walk down the middle of a car park road for example and get annoyed if a car wants to use the same road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.