Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Working on the night shift in a bank in London..........

Working on the night shift in a bank in London..........

Old Jul 7th 2013, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working on the night shift in a bank in London..........

........... was an 'interesting' experience for this lady...........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...cs-worker-bank

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...scist-ideology

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 7th 2013 at 3:07 am. Reason: .
Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:44 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working on the night shift in a bank in London..........

wow! nicely written and sadly sounds very close to the truth!
btw which bank is it?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm always really curious to see what the person looks like.

I reckon she's probably quite honest that some people in high-pressure jobs can act like massive knobheads and they're all out for themselves....but so what?

I'm offering good odds that she's a whiny individual who wouldn't be happy if they doubled her money and let her work from home. I mean....she chose to accept a job on a night shift earning 60%(ish) more and chose to accept that you can't have a break....(before anyone says anything, I don't care how hard it is to get a job in London drawing charts and graphs, if it was that shit she'd have left sooner).
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:48 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
if it was that shit she'd have left sooner).
financial constraints?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Another illustration of the horrors of wage slavery in post-modern Britain ?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
financial constraints?
24 quid an hour. As a contractor. If she's as smart as she says she is, it'll be sole trader / limited company paid. So that's 22% tax (give or take).

24 x 8hours = 192
5 day week = 960
48 weeks a year (she surely took some time off) = 46,080

- 22% = 35,942 annually, nett.
= 2,995.20 Per month, nett.

That's not shit money, which is probably why she chose to moan instead of leave.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

24 quid an hour. As a contractor. If she's as smart as she says she is, it'll be sole trader / limited company paid. So that's 22% tax (give or take).

24 x 8hours = 192
5 day week = 960

That's not shit money, which is probably why she chose to moan instead of leave.
Except that it's only 4 days a week, and not guaranteed to work or be paid the full shift.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

24 x 8hours = 192
5 day week = 960

Which is slightly over 16K dhs a month here...which , if it was "all in", would be considered an average salary here.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:13 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scot47
Another illustration of the horrors of wage slavery in post-modern Britain ?
Have you ever got anything positive to say?

Or are you of the mentalist school of thought?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Except that it's only 4 days a week, and not guaranteed to work or be paid the full shift.
But that's freelance life...you get more cash in your pocket because you're not guaranteed work. It's definitely a choice.

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Which is slightly over 16K dhs a month here...which , if it was "all in", would be considered an average salary here.
Oh yeah, Londoners are peasants comparatively.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

But that's freelance life...you get more cash in your pocket because you're not guaranteed work. It's definitely a choice.
Even if you allow for the four full shifts - £2400 a month is not the greatest of wages in London
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Even if you allow for the four full shifts - £2400 a month is not the greatest of wages in London
That's after tax remember, I reckon that equates to about 45-50k gross, in a PAYE job.

I absolutely guarantee that it's perfectly livable to a nice standard, even in London.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:27 am

That's after tax remember, I reckon that equates to about 45-50k gross, in a PAYE job.

I absolutely guarantee that it's perfectly livable to a nice standard, even in London.
See the posts above - it was £46k gross with an assumption of 40 hour week. On 4 nights (32 hr week I know) it'll be £37k gross which is pants for a permanent nights job in London - and if its a family trying to live off that wage it will be a struggle
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:34 am
Account Closed

See the posts above - it was £46k gross with an assumption of 40 hour week. On 4 nights (32 hr week I know) it'll be £37k gross which is pants for a permanent nights job in London - and if its a family trying to live off that wage it will be a struggle
Sorry I meant as PAYE not on a ltd co / sole trader. I took a stab in the dark, to nett 2,400 a month as a normal employee somewhere you need to earn (as you say) about 37/38k.

Family - makes it a different situation altogether, which we don't know about....but folk do it.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:47 am

Sorry I meant as PAYE not on a ltd co / sole trader. I took a stab in the dark, to nett 2,400 a month as a normal employee somewhere you need to earn (as you say) about 37/38k.

Family - makes it a different situation altogether, which we don't know about....but folk do it.
Definitely - but I'm sure if I could find something else for the same money I wouldn't be working nights in a bank in London

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.