Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Working in Dubai under foreign contract

Working in Dubai under foreign contract

Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:18 am
Just Joined

goldcoast75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Working in Dubai under foreign contract

Hi everyone hope someone can help me out. I'm negociating a job with an Italian company that requires me to move to Dubai for a period of around 14 months to follow up on few projects in the Middle East.
I will not be employed by a local company but will be co-operating with the local frachisee and provide a bridge between the Italian brand and the local retailer. I do not want to apply for a residency visa or working visa and by checking with the UAE Embassy they tell me I can stay in Dubai for a max of 1 month without a visa.
I will be travelling to other countries in the Middle East at least once a month so I don't think it will be a problem to leave and enter the country each time I'm close to the end of the 30 days.
The company will be offering accommodation and pay my salary into my Italian bank account. All this makes me think that to fulfill my duties in Dubai, under the above circumstances, I will not need neither a visa nor residency.
Does anyone have any experience in the matter or can anyone foresee any difficulties I might have living and working in Dubai without a working visa?
Also... with accommodation and health insurace covered, what would a reasonable salary to live confortably in Dubai?
Thanks a million
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:13 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Dubai under foreign contract

Originally Posted by goldcoast75
Hi everyone hope someone can help me out. I'm negociating a job with an Italian company that requires me to move to Dubai for a period of around 14 months to follow up on few projects in the Middle East.
I will not be employed by a local company but will be co-operating with the local frachisee and provide a bridge between the Italian brand and the local retailer. I do not want to apply for a residency visa or working visa and by checking with the UAE Embassy they tell me I can stay in Dubai for a max of 1 month without a visa.
I will be travelling to other countries in the Middle East at least once a month so I don't think it will be a problem to leave and enter the country each time I'm close to the end of the 30 days.
The company will be offering accommodation and pay my salary into my Italian bank account. All this makes me think that to fulfill my duties in Dubai, under the above circumstances, I will not need neither a visa nor residency.
Does anyone have any experience in the matter or can anyone foresee any difficulties I might have living and working in Dubai without a working visa?
Also... with accommodation and health insurace covered, what would a reasonable salary to live confortably in Dubai?
Thanks a million
Several problems could come into play: Without a visa, you can't get an Alcohol Licence, without alcohol; life is unbearable here! You also can't get a driving licence, so no opportunity to drink and drive. You’ll find it difficult to open a bank account, so no way to pay for the alcohol you don't have a licence to buy. You won't be able to rent an apartment or villa which means you will have disposable income regardless of how much you are paid, but no means of buying booze, so what's the point?
Apart from that, you will OK, maybe!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

you'll have to do visa runs every 30 days...and i'm pretty sure it's illegal to work here without a work visa...if the company has a presence here, they will have to sponsor you, otherwise, it sounds like a non-starter...

MM, xx
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:26 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Technically your cntract and the beneficiary of your labours is an Italian Company who employs you but there is a risk that the retailer could be seen as a beneficiary and so you would be an illegal worker. So under employment law you would be fairly safe unless they tested the relationships. But under residency arrangements you would be seen as working and thus at risk.

You are not a travelling salesman based in italy but you are based in Dubai as a hub. This is different.

If your employer does not have a branch in UAE then you could get the retailer to employ you with an arrangement to transfer costs to Italy.

You could engage in that contract of employment:

continuity of service
termination benefits in Italy
pension in Italy
notice etc as if you remained in Italy.

You can also pay tax in Italy if you wish.

The point is that there is a need for your services in Dubai and your company should do something about this to minimise the risk.

Alternatively marry a local.

Alternatively commute from Italy on a periodic basis.

These are my thoughts.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i would say that it could be illegal because you are working without a labour card.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a million
"Without a visa, you can't get an Alcohol Licence..."

This is the only reason anyone comes to Dubai...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

goldcoast75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bijilo123

You are not a travelling salesman based in italy but you are based in Dubai as a hub. This is different.
I have investigated the multiple entry visa and the www.government.ae site says " An option for business visitors who are frequent visitors to the UAE and who have a relationship with a reputable company in the UAE. Valid for six months from date of issue, each visit must not exceed 30 days in total. This visa costs Dh1000. The visitor must enter the UAE on a visit visa and obtain the multiple entry visa while in the country."

It sounds like this type of visa would suit my needs. Does anyone have any experience on this? As per the alcohol licence...I don't really understand. Do you need it to buy a beer in Dubai?? It comes as a surprise that being able to drink is a strong reason to move to Dubai
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ilicence...I don't really understand. Do you need it to buy a beer in Dubai?? It comes as a surprise that being able to drink is a strong reason to move to Dubai
Lots of ugly people .. the drink helps...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:53 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Lots of ugly people .. the drink helps...
tut tut tut...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I have investigated the multiple entry visa and the www.government.ae site says " An option for business visitors who are frequent visitors to the UAE and who have a relationship with a reputable company in the UAE. Valid for six months from date of issue, each visit must not exceed 30 days in total. This visa costs Dh1000. The visitor must enter the UAE on a visit visa and obtain the multiple entry visa while in the country."

It sounds like this type of visa would suit my needs. Does anyone have any experience on this? As per the alcohol licence...I don't really understand. Do you need it to buy a beer in Dubai?? It comes as a surprise that being able to drink is a strong reason to move to Dubai
ok, so you need to leave every month...and, as i understand it, you can't rent anywhere to live without a residency visa...and short term solutions are expensive, so not sure how this will work for you...

MM, xx
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:19 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

His company will foot the bill presumably..innit?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
His company will foot the bill presumably..innit?
oh yeah...i just read accomodation is sorted...oh well...he should go for it then...

MM, xx
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:01 am
Banned

OP,

I'm intruiged - why don't you want to stay as a resident with al of the tax advantages - there are reasons in terms of European employment - is it that or have youfound a new angle?

Good luck by the way!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:02 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Being able to drink is NOT a reason to move to Dubai, but it is an outcome of living here!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Several problems could come into play: Without a visa, you can't get an Alcohol Licence, without alcohol; life is unbearable here! You also can't get a driving licence, so no opportunity to drink and drive. You’ll find it difficult to open a bank account, so no way to pay for the alcohol you don't have a licence to buy. You won't be able to rent an apartment or villa which means you will have disposable income regardless of how much you are paid, but no means of buying booze, so what's the point?
Apart from that, you will OK, maybe!
Originally Posted by Confucius
"Without a visa, you can't get an Alcohol Licence..."

This is the only reason anyone comes to Dubai...
Originally Posted by Roadking
Being able to drink is NOT a reason to move to Dubai, but it is an outcome of living here!
Right...So let's firstly start with your priorities, by critical importance as you stated earlier:
1 - Alcohol license
2 - Driving license
3 - Bank account (to pay for the alcohol license)
4 - Accomodation

So I take it that food is not important, and also female companionship is not important...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.