Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Words in songs that just don't ring true..

Words in songs that just don't ring true..

Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:24 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Words in songs that just don't ring true..

"No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no, there's no limit"

I'd disagree thus:

Motorway - there is a limit of 70mph
Eating - there's a limit past which any person will not be able to eat anymore.
Space - infinite, end of.
Polish immigrants in east London - they are never ending.

or

"Where ever I lay my hat thats my home ."

Can't see that working in a court of law really

or

'I'm a cowboy...on a steel horse I ride,
I'm wanted - WANTED! - dead or alive'

1. You're not a cowboy.
2. There is no such thing as a steel horse.
3. Noone wants you - breathing or otherwise

or

"I'm burning through the sky yeah. 200 degrees, that's why they call me Mr Farenheit!"

No you're not and no they don't.

or

"That deaf dumb blind kid sure played a mean pinball"

He may have played pinball very well but no mention is made in the song about how many hours it took him to locate the coin slot on the pinball machine

A bit tongue in cheek, I know, but any lyrics you can think of which are to truth what Dawn French is to healthy eating?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Words in songs that just don't ring true..

Not quite the interpretation you're looking for, I know, but I always thought 'My Way' was self-serving obnoxious bullshit.........

"I don't care if I hurt you, crapped all over you and stabbed you in the back - at least I was OK..... etc etc"

If someone in the pub expressed those feelings, you'd deck him........
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

One annoying tune..............

Crowded House - 'everywhere you go, always take the weather with you'

How?

Put it on lead?

Strap it in a child seat it the back of the car?

Pack it away in a suitcase?

And what happens if the weather you have taken is snow? Wouldnt last long in Abu Dhabi !!!!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I never understood the Carly Simon song

You're so vain, I bet you think this song is about you ?

Well, it obviously is about him . . . .

And the cake song - can't remember the title but its about making a cake and is a load of old tosh

Showing my age now I guess . . . .

N
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
I never understood the Carly Simon song
You're so vain, I bet you think this song is about you ?
Well, it obviously is about him . . . .
And the cake song - can't remember the title but its about making a cake and is a load of old tosh
Showing my age now I guess . . . .
N
Re: 'I bet you think this song is about you?' = a rhetorical device sardonically delivered.

Your 'cake' song: Macarthur Park perhaps?
The 'cake' is a love lost never to be recovered. The song laments the loss and the words express the wound in the soul.
It was written for Richard Harris (who?). Although he couldn’t sing to save his life (now over, alas) he took it to #2 in UK.
It has never been sung by the right voice with the right arrangement. Donna Summer did a version that starts OK, but then degenerates into a disco lash-up.

MacArthur Park
Spring was never waiting for us, girl
It ran one step ahead
As we followed in the dance
Between the parted pages and were pressed,
In love's hot, fevered iron
Like a striped pair of pants

Chorus:
MacArthur Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!

I recall the yellow cotton dress
Foaming like a wave
On the ground around your knees
The birds, like tender babies in your hands
And the old men playing checkers by the trees

C:

There will be another song for me
For I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Someone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warm
And never let you catch me looking at the sun
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
You'll still be the one.

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it
I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it
I will have the things that I desire
And my passion flow like rivers through the sky.
And after all the loves of my life
after all the loves of my life
I'll be thinking of you
and wondering why.

MacArthur Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no
Oh, no
No, no
Oh no.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

er, thanks, I think.

Still think it's wierd Havbe ot say my lost loves aren't like cakes that there left out in the rain . . .
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
One annoying tune..............

Crowded House - 'everywhere you go, always take the weather with you'

How?

Put it on lead?

Strap it in a child seat it the back of the car?

Pack it away in a suitcase?

And what happens if the weather you have taken is snow? Wouldnt last long in Abu Dhabi !!!!

That song has never bothered me but you got me thinking....what remains (in the air) when the person takes the weather with them?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:24 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
"No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no, there's no limit"

I'd disagree thus:

Motorway - there is a limit of 70mph
Eating - there's a limit past which any person will not be able to eat anymore.
Space - infinite, end of.
Polish immigrants in east London - they are never ending.

or

"Where ever I lay my hat thats my home ."

Can't see that working in a court of law really

or

'I'm a cowboy...on a steel horse I ride,
I'm wanted - WANTED! - dead or alive'

1. You're not a cowboy.
2. There is no such thing as a steel horse.
3. Noone wants you - breathing or otherwise

or

"I'm burning through the sky yeah. 200 degrees, that's why they call me Mr Farenheit!"

No you're not and no they don't.

or

"That deaf dumb blind kid sure played a mean pinball"

He may have played pinball very well but no mention is made in the song about how many hours it took him to locate the coin slot on the pinball machine

A bit tongue in cheek, I know, but any lyrics you can think of which are to truth what Dawn French is to healthy eating?
"Only 24 Hours From Tulsa"

What was he doing ?..... crawling on his knees ?

"Spiderman, Spiderman.
Does whatever a Spider can".

Its unlikely that you would achieve superhero status were you unable to escape a bathtub

or

"Lately I've been staring at the mirror.........."

Oh really Stevie !
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

er, thanks, I think.

Still think it's wierd Havbe ot say my lost loves aren't like cakes that there left out in the rain . . .
Sorry Nic, I did go on a bit there. Trying to fire the modicum of imagination I thought you might have!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still can't get my head round the cake thing . . . Does that show a lack of imagination ? My lost loves are more in the line of a BR sandwich, soggy in the middle and curled up at the edges, but guess that doesn't scan so well in a song ? 'Images of Loves Lost' could of course be a whole thread of it's own . . . .

Cheers
N
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BR sandwich, soggy in the middle and curled up at the edges, but guess that doesn't scan so well in a song ? 'Images of Loves Lost' could of course be a whole thread of it's own . . . .
Cheers
N
Now you're talkin'
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

BR sandwich, soggy in the middle and curled up at the edges, but guess that doesn't scan so well in a song ?
Cheers
N
Ian Drury (GRHS) and the Blockheads could have done something with that, or the Sex Pistols maybe?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

As in 'Hit me with your BLT ' . . . ?

Sorry, been on the home brew . . .

N
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

As in 'Hit me with your BLT ' . . . ?
Sorry, been on the home brew . . .
N
'Reasons to be beerful'.

(I'm reduced to drinking port, need to do a Barracuda run).
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alen1
'Reasons to be beerful'.

(I'm reduced to drinking port, need to do a Barracuda run).

snap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.