Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Why do Arabs drive like that?

Why do Arabs drive like that?

Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Arabs drive like that?

Insurance by Allah...
Absolutely! It was the same in Egypt and Turkey. I had long discussions with local drivers on the same topic.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Absolutely! It was the same in Egypt and Turkey. I had long discussions with local drivers on the same topic.
the difference in Egypt is that is pretty much all low speed driving. so plenty of accidents but not so many injuries.

Here its the idiots in Land Cruisers/Patrols scithing across all 6 lanes of SZR at 160kph so they can get to MOE 5 minutes earlier that are the problem. and they tend to kill people when they hit them!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:54 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
the difference in Egypt is that is pretty much all low speed driving. so plenty of accidents but not so many injuries.

Here its the idiots in Land Cruisers/Patrols scithing across all 6 lanes of SZR at 160kph so they can get to MOE 5 minutes earlier that are the problem. and they tend to kill people when they hit them!
Darwinian theory in action, if it isnt expats being hit.........
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:04 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Ins has a point earlier about this generation being spoilt brats.
But its not just the local crazies doing max speed in souped up 4x4's that are the killers.

What about the lorries that are overloaded with knackered suspension and bald tires, that are driven by complete wankers. Ie a while ago I watched a cement lorry in front of me topple over in mid turn because he was going way way too fast to even try the corner.

Or the ****ing corrola/sunny doing 20kmph in the second fastest lane

Or the wandering white truck that just randomly swerves all down SZR.....usually as your just overtaking him.

Or are we all just spoilt westerners because were used to our driving whereas the majority of the worlds population drive in a different way.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:07 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

my driving has changed since I came here....and whenever I am now back home, I get annoyed with the slow pace...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
my driving has changed since I came here....and whenever I am now back home, I get annoyed with the slow pace...
your driving has to change here otherwise you will be roadkill!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:10 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

your driving has to change here otherwise you will be roadkill!
oh of course...but it's not like when I am back in Europe I think yippee...finally I can drive like normal again...far from that
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:11 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

likewise, its adapt or die on the roads here, as such i now drive like an absolute nutter for the first day or so when im back in the UK.
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Ins has a point earlier about this generation being spoilt brats.
But its not just the local crazies doing max speed in souped up 4x4's that are the killers.

What about the lorries that are overloaded with knackered suspension and bald tires, that are driven by complete wankers. Ie a while ago I watched a cement lorry in front of me topple over in mid turn because he was going way way too fast to even try the corner.

Or the ****ing corrola/sunny doing 20kmph in the second fastest lane

Or the wandering white truck that just randomly swerves all down SZR.....usually as your just overtaking him.

Or are we all just spoilt westerners because were used to our driving whereas the majority of the worlds population drive in a different way.
That's a good point about the slower cars and vans, shiva. They're as much of a danger, because they force people to overtake them, which ends up with the Land Cruiser Loons coming up fast on their tails. At least in Dubai they have more than 2 lanes to work with.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh of course...but it's not like when I am back in Europe I think yippee...finally I can drive like normal again...far from that
I've only driven once back in the UK since I've been out here and I did easily slip back into the civilised way of driving back there.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:13 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by shiva
likewise, its adapt or die on the roads here, as such i now drive like an absolute nutter for the first day or so when im back in the UK.
lol...last time we were back home we got followed all the way home by the police...apparently we were speeding...luckily we used our wasta and got off with a warning...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:13 am
hmmmm...nice

I've only driven once back in the UK since I've been out here and I did easily slip back into the civilised way of driving back there.
you're such a good good boy...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you're such a good good boy...

I know
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha - which Egypt were you in? On more than one occassion I passed stiffs lying at the side of the road on the Cairo beltway, with newspapers "respectfully" covering their faces. Such accidents are rarely reported because of the judiucal system there. Bodies are discoved by passing police cars. And when I escaped at weekend, the overland run to/from Sharm el Sheikh/Cairo across the Siani was always a race - a whacky race. I used to count the wrecks to alieviate the boredom.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weescot
Hahaha - which Egypt were you in? On more than one occassion I passed stiffs lying at the side of the road on the Cairo beltway, with newspapers "respectfully" covering their faces. Such accidents are rarely reported because of the judiucal system there. Bodies are discoved by passing police cars. And when I escaped at weekend, the overland run to/from Sharm el Sheikh/Cairo across the Siani was always a race - a whacky race. I used to count the wrecks to alieviate the boredom.
well I was driven up from Cairo to Damietta and once we got out of Cairo the speed did increase but there was very little traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.