Who dresses you?

Old Oct 24th 2017, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who dresses you?

Where do you buy your gear? We know Miss Anne only wears faded Hawaiian shirts from Fire Island circa 1989 but what about the rest of you?

Are you Boden? Jigsaw? Ted Baker? Tyrwhitt/Levin/Hawes & Curtis? Polo? J. Crew? Banana Republic? Hackett? Paul Smith? (Scamp, I'm confident you have Jack Wills) Or do you let the wife get everything from John Lewis? Or M&S?

What do you wear to work? To lounge around the house? Out for a night? All same same or different? Do you dress differently than you did in the UK?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Who dresses you?

I ****ing love these threads.

I have a lot of Jack Wills t-shirts (the plainer the better, I'm not keen on the ones that are just screaming 16yr old public school girl). I like them because they're longer. Ted Baker for example shrink immediately on contact with moisture. Paul Smith's t-shirts, despite being designed by a company emblazoned with the name of a seriously tall man, are too short. The list goes on.
I also wear a lot of plain Ralph t-shirts, I like them.
Fair bit of All-Saints too, I like their plain stuff.
Fair bit of Tommy Hilfiger too.

Shorts and shit - anywhere, Gap etc. John Lewis used to do some beautifully simple but smart, tailored above knee shorts.
Trousers (chino's for every occasion) - Gap / Tommy / Banana Republic / Anywhere.
Jeasn - Tommy. Only got one pair, need more.
Shoes - Adidas Gazelles / Nike trainers for bowling around generally. Few smart pairs but range of shops.

Work stuff - used to dick around with getting suits made but can't go wrong with TM Lewin suits and their shirts....although I did treat myself to a Hugo Boss suit a couple of months ago.

Round the house if anyone wears normal clothes they need shot. Comfy shorts and a baggy t shirt.

What about you?
I imagine you're classic and simple like me, but less cool?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Work stuff solely consists of Gant, Banana Republic or Lyle & Scott Oxford-style shirts and Ted Baker trousers.

Casual wear is usually Gant or Banana Republic polo shirt paired with Nudie jeans or Banana Republic shorts.

For going out, mostly Ted Baker stuff. Some garish, some muted.

I tend to wait for Gant/Banana Republic/Ted Baker to have a sale before I buy any clothes.

And SAXX boxers, I swear by them, the balls "bra" is a winner in this climate.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Gavtek
I tend to wait for Gant/Banana Republic/Ted Baker to have a sale before I buy any clothes.

And SAXX boxers, I swear by them, the balls "bra" is a winner in this climate.
You speak my language.

Not heard of SAXX, but anything called a balls bra is worth searching for.
I use American Eagle boxers. They're loud, garish and hold the gang comfortably in place.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Trousers, usually Dockers as I like the comfort of them.

Suits Yve St Laurent, Boss and others

Shirts Nautica, or Gant and Tommy Bahama

Shorts..M&S or virtually anywhere

Jeans...do not own a pair

Trainers...no

Shoes Loakes, Church`s etc

Boxers...never go commando

I also have a lot of Tactical gear for work.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Should have said my Valet
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Tailor-made shirts and breeks by Modern Tailors in Khobar. Alas no more, Who in the UK can afford tailor-made shirts ? The Duke of Argyll perhaps. I also had hand-made shoes (from Thailand) but have also given up on that little indulgence since returning to Austerity in these Offshore Islands.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

What about you?
I imagine you're classic and simple like me, but less cool?
Work - a mixture of tailored suits and trousers for the meetings (twice a week?). I had a few suits made in Dubai and I think highly of them. I do have one Paul Smith suit as well. A beautiful grey. Otherwise it's chinos or twills (maybe not so much the latter in the Gulf) and either a polo or a shirt from the typical Jermyn Street shop. As much as I hate to admit this, I do like RLP for the classic polos because a) they last forever, b) they don't shrink in the wash and c) they fit really well. I spent years avoiding buying RLP but eventually gave up when everything else I bought either shrunk or didn't fit well or didn't keep up the proper polo stiffness.

I have a few slightly edgier trousers from Boden/Jigsaw as well as what I term 'semi-jeans', they're not proper jeans but have the same durability. Various shades of brown or beige. Usually from a continental department store.

Shorts from all sorts of places. Some RLP, some Hilfiger (both make very good quality shorts and chinos), some from Galeries Lafayette, some from John Lewis.

Right now I'm wearing an amber/burnt orange coloured chinos from Jigsaw and a classic blue button down from Tyrwhitt and a cord belt (I also have several African bead belts which I wear a lot as well).

Tomorrow is a meeting day so it'll be one of the suits. Thinking Navy coloured and one of the custom shirts. White.

Lounging around: shorts always. Any polo shirt or one of the threadbare button downs that isn't quite ready for the bin.

Out: always a proper trouser, either chino or one of the semi-jeans and a classic white collared shirt (perhaps on the tight side ) And an African bead belt. If it's really warm outside then a tight white or navy polo. I do have a few edgier patterned Paul Smith shirts which I buy in a fit of inspiration but rarely wear Can't quite bring myself to wear t-shirts when I go out.

In the UK I have stashes of jumpers and heavier trousers and plenty of outdoor gear, especially Patagonia. And some long overcoats. My typical outfit in the UK would be what's described above plus a crew neck or v-neck jumper. Oh, and corduroys.

I don't have anything from Hacketts or Jack Wills. Technically I'm an ex-public schoolboy and there's something about those two stores that I find off-putting. Trying too hard. Though god knows plenty of public schoolkids shop there

I do not like Ted Baker. I want to but everything I've bought from there has been disappointing. Mostly because the quality isn't justified by the prices unless it's a massive sale.

All underwear and socks are from John Lewis. Can't go wrong with 'em.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Work - Keep it easy and simple and throw away - Gap / Banana Republic , most bog standard Mall stuff you can bin after a summer

Suits 2no - Richard James and Hugo Boss , the first is tailored and one of the best things i have ever bought .

Shirts - Off the rack RL / Boss / P Smith and some tailored stuff from Hawes & Curtis.

Jeans - Nudie / Edwin and Diesel - slim and dark , anything else makes you look like a tosspot

Shoes - Guilty pleasure - Grenson / Trickers / Loakes

Casual - APC / CP / Patagonia / Moncler / Barbour / Folk

Trainers - Deadstock hard to find stuff and great easy pairs of Novesta / Superga plimsols

Good socks are a must as well anything in Merino keeps the trotters nice , Pantherella are decent.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:55 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Work - As previously mentioned, all of my suits are tailor made by Mr Sam's during my annual pilgrimage to his shop in HK. Shirts also made by Mr Sams. Shoes always by Church's because they fit me perfectly from day one. I have one Hugo Boss suit for posh non-work occasions

Jeans - Levi 501s classic blue or black. Once bought a pair of red jeans, put them on once and they are now consigned to the dark space at the back of the closet.

Casual - Churchs for the evenings and Boss trainers or non-descipt deck shoes but often flip flops from any brand.

Casual tops tend to be Hacket Polos or Nike/Adidas t-shirts. Cant wait for the weather to properly cool down so I can get some use out of my new Hackett Blazer that I bought in the UK this summer.

Simple tastes and anti change at my age lol
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Right now I'm wearing an amber/burnt orange coloured chinos

I don't have anything from Hacketts or Jack Wills. Technically I'm an ex-public schoolboy and there's something about those two stores that I find off-putting. Trying too hard. Though god knows plenty of public schoolkids shop there

I do not like Ted Baker. I want to but everything I've bought from there has been disappointing. Mostly because the quality isn't justified by the prices unless it's a massive sale.
I love a burnt orange chino. One of my favourite pairs.

Hackett - I have nothing. Ruined by chavs.
Jack Wills I'm trying to weed out. Wearing one of their t-shirts around the UK you're only in the company of teens. Whilst I'm young, I'm not that young.

Ted Baker can get ****ed. Everything shrinks. Jackets are beautiful looking though, but always very expensive.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:34 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

clothes are just plant / insect extracts woven together to serve a purpose
I deliberately have the same type and color of shirts and pants so I dont have to waste time choosing what to wear for office
I never look at the labels and to be honest dont like buying too expensive but I do appreciate the fact that if its too cheap then it wont last more than a year
Used to get hand made cotton shirts and shoes but 'grew' out of that
and I sleep in my birthday suit...best PJs ever!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
I deliberately have the same type and color of shirts and pants so I dont have to waste time choosing what to wear for office

I totally agree - All suits are made every 2 years from the same guy who used to make them for my father. He has my measurements since I came to the Gulf and he forwards them on!

For pleasure its usually jeans (from a variety of brands) and shirts that the wife chooses . The only thing the wife doesn't choose/have any say are when I go hunting or 'survival' weekends away.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Jeans - Replay only, used to go for Levi's but kept getting 'crotch blowout'. Always look for jeans with a little bit of elastene

Shirts - Hackett, Thomas Pink, Scotch & Soda (for the more fruity prints)

Knitwear - Reiss, Tiger of Sweden, All Saints

Shorts - Reiss, Orlebar Brown, Massimmo Dutti

T-shirts - Reiss, Massimmo Dutti, All Saints

Work Shoes - Churches or standard blue suede loafers from River Island (planning on upgrading to a pair of Tod's Gomminos)

Trainers - Nike

I used to be a big fan of Ted Baker (still have some blazers) however they don't fit too well - think they are better for the skinny gent
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:43 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Where do you buy your gear? We know Miss Anne only wears faded Hawaiian shirts from Fire Island circa 1989 but what about the rest of you?
I wish I could fit anything I had circa 1989. Socks maybe; I probably still have a few pairs from then...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.