Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

Old May 24th 2011, 9:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

'New York is introducing an outdoor smoking ban. But could the UK and other countries follow suit?

It is a city heralded for attracting incomers from around the world, but New York has just become less hospitable to one group - smokers.

Under measures approved by local authorities, swathes of outdoor public places including beaches, municipal parks and even Times Square have become tobacco-free.

And with smoking legislations, as with so much else, where New York leads, the rest of the world can find itself following'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13467728 Quite a long piece but worth a read in full, especially as various doctors think this is unneccesary.

Surprised to read that there are smoke-free parks in the UK already.

Where will it end? A total global ban on smoking one day? It seems that for many smoking has become public enemy number one, despite there being many other health threats and global issues to worry about.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:49 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

well, aside from "smoker's rights" to kill themselves in whatever way they see fit, I don't think it's any bad thing for non-smokers to be able to enjoy any public place without having to catch whiffs of other people's fumes.

Imo, any public space should be smoke-free. Smoking should be classed as anti-social behaviour and treated just like any other form of anti-social behaviour. If you want to smoke, fine, but in the privacy of your own home (this is a general "you", not a personal one!) rather than inflict your life-threatening habit on people who have chosen not to smoke.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might as well ban busses and cars as well. Carbon monoxide isn't any fun.

I'm all for eliminating smoking outright (nasty, horrible pastime) but I'm also aware that these bans are politically correct. The effect of a smoker walking past you is no different than a car driving past you.

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
well, aside from "smoker's rights" to kill themselves in whatever way they see fit, I don't think it's any bad thing for non-smokers to be able to enjoy any public place without having to catch whiffs of other people's fumes.

Imo, any public space should be smoke-free. Smoking should be classed as anti-social behaviour and treated just like any other form of anti-social behaviour. If you want to smoke, fine, but in the privacy of your own home (this is a general "you", not a personal one!) rather than inflict your life-threatening habit on people who have chosen not to smoke.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:30 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The effect of a smoker walking past you is no different than a car driving past you.
Bollocks.

Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??-smoke-2.jpg
Old May 24th 2011, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

As a newly reformed non smoker I say ban it altogether!

7 and a bit weeks in now!
Old May 24th 2011, 12:06 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for eliminating smoking outright (nasty, horrible pastime) but I'm also aware that these bans are politically correct. The effect of a smoker walking past you is no different than a car driving past you.
I think most religious are an outright nasty and horrible pastime as are many team based ball sports...but I wouldn't dream of banning either unless they were causing major problems in society. It's simply not my business to even care.

The biggest forms of pollution come from power plants and cars/farm animal emissions in that order...smoking outside in the fresh air doesn't hurt anyone but the smoker.

As a libertarian I find this a ridiculous infringement on the right of people to treat their body as they please...it seems NYC only wants people to smoke in their own home. Smokers already pay massive taxes which prop up health services...this is just pandering to the health lobby who have nothing better to do than tell people what to do for pleasure and relaxation.

More examples of how the nanny state many western nations seem to be promoting.

N.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:08 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. And what about the parents who happily push around their young children at car exhaust height on busy roads? That has always seemed like the oddest thing to me.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Quite. And what about the parents who happily push around their young children at car exhaust height on busy roads? That has always seemed like the oddest thing to me.
it's not like they have a choice if they need to go out though...!

MM, xx
Old May 24th 2011, 12:14 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. This is how responsible parents deal with it.

Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??-helmet.jpg
Old May 24th 2011, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

there was a report on the news yesterday saying they are putting in more stringent rules on shisha lounges here (err...didn't they do this two years ago), and will have age limits (good, i never understand why people take kids to a shisha bar) and only certain times when they can operate, as well as other measures to reduce the risks...wonder whether it will actually happen this time...

MM, xx
Old May 24th 2011, 12:22 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
it's not like they have a choice if they need to go out though...!

MM, xx

But there must be some way of them not being at car exhaust height?
Old May 24th 2011, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But there must be some way of them not being at car exhaust height?
i haven't seen any buggies which are high...apart from the bugaboo but that's only high when they are tiny babies...guess if they were any higher and the kid jumped out it could be dangerous...!

MM, xx
Old May 24th 2011, 12:30 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be far happier sitting in a park seeing someone puff away at a cigarette than tucking into 8 cans of Special Brew.
The worlds gone mad.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i haven't seen any buggies which are high...apart from the bugaboo but that's only high when they are tiny babies...guess if they were any higher and the kid jumped out it could be dangerous...!

MM, xx
Think of it another way:

What would you rather be in a sealed room with; a cigarette smoker, or a car engine idling??

It seems universally accepted that people can drive cars anywhere and everywhere, pumping out poisonous fumes, even in New York, but cigarette smokers are treated worse than paedophiles nowadays.

ps I don't smoke, never have, disgusting habit, but I do have a balanced and rational outlook on such things.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:38 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Paul B
Think of it another way:

What would you rather be in a sealed room with; a cigarette smoker, or a car engine idling??

It seems universally accepted that people can drive cars anywhere and everywhere, pumping out poisonous fumes, even in New York, but cigarette smokers are treated worse than paedophiles nowadays.

ps I don't smoke, never have, disgusting habit, but I do have a balanced and rational outlook on such things.
I take it that you're not from LA, then.

Had an argument with the wuckfit drivers in my apartment's underground car park last week--leaving the engine running till Mr Big Man turns up. There's loads of ductwork down there, but not for extraction, for cooling. No doubt Mr Big Man would be pissed off if his car interior's not at the right temperature when he decides to show up. If it wasn't for the bleedin' security cameras I'd sneak round at night and shove potatoes up their exhaust pipes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.