Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

When does Ramadan start??

When does Ramadan start??

Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: When does Ramadan start??

[QUOTE=Autonomy;7853211]This shows possible visible on Friday, definitely Saturday

I would agree, Mecca appears to be on the boundary between A/B on 21st - meaning at sunset on the 21st, as the crescent moon becomes visible just above the setting sun.

Regards visibility, it has been windy down here this week, with a lot of sand in the atmosphere - so this further dictates against sighting at sunset on the 21st and makes sunset on 22nd most likely. First 'day' is therefore 23rd.

Luckily, I expect to be in DXB all next week - much more relaxed..
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Bonny Boy;7853608]
Originally Posted by Autonomy
This shows possible visible on Friday, definitely Saturday

I would agree, Mecca appears to be on the boundary between A/B on 21st - meaning at sunset on the 21st, as the crescent moon becomes visible just above the setting sun.

Regards visibility, it has been windy down here this week, with a lot of sand in the atmosphere - so this further dictates against sighting at sunset on the 21st and makes sunset on 22nd most likely. First 'day' is therefore 23rd.

Luckily, I expect to be in DXB all next week - much more relaxed..
Then again, they may just arbitrarily decide on the 21st (as reported in some papers) as it is theoretically possible to sight the moon at sunset on this day, if not actually possible due to haze on the horizon. First 'day' in this case is 22nd.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ctfc
Islamic days start at sunset, not at midnight. So the holy day always starts at sunset on the day before the date announced as the 'first' day.
How bloody ridiculous.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
How bloody ridiculous.
Hardly. The twelve hour clock has very ancient origins, and was related to dividing the time between sunrise and sunset into 12 hour intervals - this then giving rise to the invention of sun-dial type clocks.

There is no rational reason to choose either sunrise or sunset as the start point of a day, nor is there any good reason to choose base 12 for counting hours and base 60 for counting minutes and seconds.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Can someone tell me, so I can plan my weekend
Ha - welcome to the UAE! Try planning any weekend/holiday activities when you never know how much time you're going to get off work and when that might be. It's a right pain in the wotsit.

Anyway, whenever the moon actually is or isn't there they'll probably 'see' it on Thursday evening so that one of the holidays falls on the Friday when everyone is off anyway.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:01 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Ha - welcome to the UAE! Try planning any weekend/holiday activities when you never know how much time you're going to get off work and when that might be. It's a right pain in the wotsit.

Anyway, whenever the moon actually is or isn't there they'll probably 'see' it on Thursday evening so that one of the holidays falls on the Friday when everyone is off anyway.
I tend to agree - even though from the pics I posted I think it is very very unlikely to be visible.

There is no holiday associated with the start of Ramadan though...
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

There is no holiday associated with the start of Ramadan though...
Oh yeah - dur!
I meant they time it so that people get the least time off for Eid. Wasn't it a couple of years ago when Ramadan was called unexpectedly early and even the arse-lick Gulf News reported that astronomers said there was no way the moon could have been sighted then. And when did Eid fall that year...Friday & Saturday so most of us were back to work on the Sunday, or Monday at the latest.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:12 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Hardly. The twelve hour clock has very ancient origins, and was related to dividing the time between sunrise and sunset into 12 hour intervals - this then giving rise to the invention of sun-dial type clocks.
There is no rational reason to choose either sunrise or sunset as the start point of a day, nor is there any good reason to choose base 12 for counting hours and base 60 for counting minutes and seconds.
But sunset is when night time begins and sunrise is when daylight begins. Why not be logical?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:18 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
But sunset is when night time begins and sunrise is when daylight begins. Why not be logical?
Come on, ShadyaHeart, you should know by now that the words Middle East and logical NEVER appear in the same sentence.....
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:38 am