What's your normal?

Old May 15th 2017, 10:25 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's your normal?

A close relative was shocked and dismayed that, on occasion, I knock back a bottle of wine of an evening (with food). Actually on a bender its more like a few beers and then 1 1/2 bottles. The accompanying doctor relative also registered her concern, although I think that was out of politeness to the other relative. Maybe I just move in circles where that sort of consumption -- once a week or so -- is not unusual.

Is is just me?
Old May 15th 2017, 11:58 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your normal?

That's only three large glasses of wine.

Totally normal...three large bottles and you may be developing a problem.
Old May 15th 2017, 12:14 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
A close relative was shocked and dismayed that, on occasion, I knock back a bottle of wine of an evening (with food). Actually on a bender its more like a few beers and then 1 1/2 bottles. The accompanying doctor relative also registered her concern, although I think that was out of politeness to the other relative. Maybe I just move in circles where that sort of consumption -- once a week or so -- is not unusual.

Is is just me?
Going by units a bottle of wine is equivalent to five pints of beer, which you probably wouldn't have over a school night evening. (Or at least I wouldn't.)

Anyhow if it's occasional it's hardly worth worrying about. Then again I am in construction so my perspective could be significantly skewed
Old May 16th 2017, 3:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

on an odd occasion no it's neither particularly harmful or odd.

There is however a huge problem of people drinking in what is now considered a perfectly acceptable way. 1 -2 bottles a night isn't seen as abnormal these days between a couple with kids.

The medical community has a slightly different view on this and is already seeing a demographic in for liver issues that it didn't previously see.

A couple of bottles a night is positively and demonstrably harmful, it's also a drinking problem no matter how normalised it would seem.

Personally I won't drink for weeks or months and then drink heavily for a few nights, then a break again for weeks. Didn't plan it that way it's just kind of fallen into that pattern tied up with work. Apparently my liver enzymes are the same as a teetotaller so it seems to an ok way of doing it.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't drink during the week and make a point not to...unless go to the pub quiz or something, then I'll have 2-3 beers....I guess I should say, I rarely drink during the week and never drink during the week at home.

I do however, enjoy my weekends. Thursday night is 3-100 pints. I say 100 because I don't know but if I leave work at 1700ish and in the pub at 1705 and leave the pub at 2200 say, I know I've had a lot of beers.

I think I'm a classic binge drinker at weekends. I do enjoy a glass of red but it's very rare.
Old May 16th 2017, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

1-2 beers/bottle of wine to share with the missus if having food.

If out with the lads however.... or if I'm on a mission to get pissed (which tbh is pretty rare these days, once a month perhaps)
Old May 16th 2017, 6:55 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I only ever drink beer and once a week (or occasionally twice) i'll have 2-3 pints on the way home with mates or business contacts. Weekends tend to be more bingey and it can be 6-7 on a thursday and 3-4 on a saturday watching the footie.

I don't know why, but I never ever drink at home.
Old May 16th 2017, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't drink during the week and make a point not to...unless go to the pub quiz or something, then I'll have 2-3 beers....I guess I should say, I rarely drink during the week and never drink during the week at home.

I do however, enjoy my weekends. Thursday night is 3-100 pints. I say 100 because I don't know but if I leave work at 1700ish and in the pub at 1705 and leave the pub at 2200 say, I know I've had a lot of beers.

I think I'm a classic binge drinker at weekends. I do enjoy a glass of red but it's very rare.
Ditto. Don't drink during the week unless I'm out watching a game. Never drink at home (week or weekends)

Weekends I'm more often that not out on it and that can be a pretty heavy session.
Old May 16th 2017, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

I love the odd cold one at home on a weekday with my feet up especially after the gym (gotta treat yaself!)
Old May 16th 2017, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
I love the odd cold one at home on a weekday with my feet up especially after the gym (gotta treat yaself!)
I'm more likely to do this, than get smashed on a night out. Don't like getting drunk anymore for some reason.
Old May 16th 2017, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm more likely to do this, than get smashed on a night out. Don't like getting drunk anymore for some reason.
Can't deal with the hangovers these days + the following day feels wasted because I'll often get up at midday...
Old May 16th 2017, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i have a couple of glasses of g&t most evenings and usually go on a bender once during the weekend - be it Thurs or Fri.
But will be completely teetotal and full on muslim mode during Ramadhan ie fast, pray, mosque etc
Old May 16th 2017, 10:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
i have a couple of glasses of g&t most evenings and usually go on a bender once during the weekend - be it Thurs or Fri.
But will be completely teetotal and full on muslim mode during Ramadhan ie fast, pray, mosque etc
Each to his/her own and far be it for me to judge, but I just don't get that (and the similar attitude here, where bars close down about a month in advance of ramadamadingdong, and supermarkets stop selling booze about 2 weeks in advance). Either do it / believe in it / comply with it, or don't.

Nothing personal, just one of those things that I will never understand, because nobody yet has come up with a logical explanation and I don't believe anyone can.

Cheers.
Old May 16th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Each to his/her own and far be it for me to judge, but I just don't get that (and the similar attitude here, where bars close down about a month in advance of ramadamadingdong, and supermarkets stop selling booze about 2 weeks in advance). Either do it / believe in it / comply with it, or don't.

Nothing personal, just one of those things that I will never understand, because nobody yet has come up with a logical explanation and I don't believe anyone can.

Cheers.
no worries i totally understand and all my mates say the same thing....i guess for me personally i would rather do 'something' than nothing at all. As for the bars closing over here, that doesn't happen anymore...from what i know it's business as usual....maybe some places don't serve booze during the fasting hours but i'm told all bars are full on after Iftar.
Old May 16th 2017, 12:29 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to say we've got into a progressive habit now of 2 or often 3 bottles of wine a night on the weekends (including Thursday) when it used to be 1 maybe 2. Anyway, I go dry during Ramadan in sympathy with the bf who does the full fasting thing as well. I think there is probably a lot of comfort for people in the annual ritual despite - or maybe even because of - the lack of adherence the rest of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.