Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What's your "Local" like?

What's your "Local" like?

Old Apr 23rd 2017, 11:40 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your "Local" like?

I felt a reply was appropriate.

Its a small booth on a wonderful beach. Its always open, there are no drink or drink driving laws, the cocktails almost melt glass, the service is impeccable, and a serious drink is about 3-5 us.

Welcome to Grenada...

PS they also sell ice cold beers and ciders from a uk owned brewery, lovely 8% porter...
Old Apr 24th 2017, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
They seem ok charging 8-10 quid for a pint in most places in Dubai though, despite it not being as busy!

N,
Wow, you get paid in pounds? That's unlucky at the moment.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
They seem ok charging 8-10 quid for a pint in most places in Dubai though, despite it not being as busy!

N,
don't drink beers....but they make an awesome bloody mary which i luv.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Wow, you get paid in pounds? That's unlucky at the moment.
Interesting comment from you, Sampy

On one hand you don't like it when people quote costs in pounds... yet at the same time you say that people should think of their UAE salary on the prevailing exchange rate - effectively re-basing it to pounds.

I can't help thinking that 45-48dh for a drink is high. Regardless of the exchange rate - in Abu Dhabi this weekend, I was paying 18dh all night for drinks.

If you want to get drunk, it's probably cheaper to drive to abu dhabi and stay in a hotel, than pay Dubai prices. Especially when you factor in Dubai taxis (80dh here and there vs. Abu Dhabi 5-10dh).
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Interesting comment from you, Sampy

On one hand you don't like it when people quote costs in pounds... yet at the same time you say that people should think of their UAE salary on the prevailing exchange rate - effectively re-basing it to pounds.

I can't help thinking that 45-48dh for a drink is high. Regardless of the exchange rate - in Abu Dhabi this weekend, I was paying 18dh all night for drinks.

If you want to get drunk, it's probably cheaper to drive to abu dhabi and stay in a hotel, than pay Dubai prices. Especially when you factor in Dubai taxis (80dh here and there vs. Abu Dhabi 5-10dh).
Sigh. It just seems the common thing on here to convert the cost of a drink to pounds and then moan about it.

I think my point with salaries is totally ignored or in fact, not understood at all. I think people should think of a UAE (or anywhere else) salary offer in pounds - this can easily be compared and workings out made. That's an important part of accepting a role, the mark up or improvement for coming away.

As long as the miserable ***** on here stay in their 14dhs a pint places, I'm happy.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think my point with salaries is totally ignored or in fact, not understood at all. I think people should think of a UAE (or anywhere else) salary offer in pounds - this can easily be compared and workings out made. That's an important part of accepting a role, the mark up or improvement for coming away.
Why pounds? Why not dollars, euros, yen?

I'd say that its in your advantage to say pounds. If the exchange rate went to 10AED, then I suspect you'd only be looking at at the costs and saying the salary is not important as it's local.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Why pounds? Why not dollars, euros, yen?

I'd say that its in your advantage to say pounds. If the exchange rate went to 10AED, then I suspect you'd only be looking at at the costs and saying the salary is not important as it's local.
Not true. Have done it since I arrived here when it was north of 6.2.
Convert it to whatever you like.

I'm talking about having conversations with people who are making their first move overseas from the UK to the Middle East.

We regularly move people to another country on a lower salary package because of cost of living differences. They all know that what's important is what's left after cost of living. If you're not going to help or let people convert that back to pounds for whatever reason, then you're just going to leave them frustrated with a figure in Rupees.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp, when I accepted my offers in the UAE, both back in 2008 and in 2015, I judged both offers based on the cost of living in the UAE, not the UK and didn't attempt to convert it into pounds.

The cost of living in the UAE (and Qatar) is different from the UK in many ways that it's apples and oranges. I knew the kind of lifestyle I wanted in the UAE and determined how much it would cost and what sacrifices I was willing to accept and went from there. I was paying X amount in mortgage in the UK and knew that a similar property would go for X+Y in rent, for example.

I also factored in the hidden costs of being an expat, of not having employer pension contributions, the high chance of redundancy and coming back to the UK unemployed with your tail between your legs and needing to tide yourself over till you find something else (so many people I knew in Dubai pretty much blew though much if not all of their savings just getting settled back in the UK or Australia. Only a minority, maybe 25% walked away from the UAE genuinely better off than if they'd never come out, those were usually ones who transferred to jobs waiting for them but that is no guarantees).

Telling people oh, the exchange rate is X and therefore the AED offer is worth Y in pounds and ain't that amazing is ignorant given that the exchange rate has swung decisively over the years, and the newbies rarely have a fully comprehensive idea of the genuine cost of living in the UAE, especially those with families and little sprogs to educate and the realities of school fees going up 5% every year when your package doesn't, stubbornly high rents and the very high cost of starting up a property with deposits and paying large rents upfront and more and more employers dumping the full burden on the employees for everything and so on.

It's like telling someone from Wales that this job offer in London is amazing because it's 30% more money, well, the cost of living is a damn sight more than 30% higher and you'll end up in worse housing and overall lower quality of life.

People need to weigh their package offers to the cost of life in the UAE and go from there. Will the salary pay for the lifestyle they want, and will they have anything left over? Who cares what that 'tax free' salary means in the UK, for you'll be living in the UAE and paying UAE prices.

Sigh. It just seems the common thing on here to convert the cost of a drink to pounds and then moan about it.

As long as the miserable ***** on here stay in their 14dhs a pint places, I'm happy.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Scamp, when I accepted my offers in the UAE, both back in 2008 and in 2015, I judged both offers based on the cost of living in the UAE, not the UK and didn't attempt to convert it into pounds.

The cost of living in the UAE (and Qatar) is different from the UK in many ways that it's apples and oranges. I knew the kind of lifestyle I wanted in the UAE and determined how much it would cost and what sacrifices I was willing to accept and went from there. I was paying X amount in mortgage in the UK and knew that a similar property would go for X+Y in rent, for example.

I also factored in the hidden costs of being an expat, of not having employer pension contributions, the high chance of redundancy and coming back to the UK unemployed with your tail between your legs and needing to tide yourself over till you find something else (so many people I knew in Dubai pretty much blew though much if not all of their savings just getting settled back in the UK or Australia. Only a minority, maybe 25% walked away from the UAE genuinely better off than if they'd never come out, those were usually ones who transferred to jobs waiting for them but that is no guarantees).

Telling people oh, the exchange rate is X and therefore the AED offer is worth Y in pounds and ain't that amazing is ignorant given that the exchange rate has swung decisively over the years, and the newbies rarely have a fully comprehensive idea of the genuine cost of living in the UAE, especially those with families and little sprogs to educate and the realities of school fees going up 5% every year when your package doesn't, stubbornly high rents and the very high cost of starting up a property with deposits and paying large rents upfront and more and more employers dumping the full burden on the employees for everything and so on.

It's like telling someone from Wales that this job offer in London is amazing because it's 30% more money, well, the cost of living is a damn sight more than 30% higher and you'll end up in worse housing and overall lower quality of life.

People need to weigh their package offers to the cost of life in the UAE and go from there. Will the salary pay for the lifestyle they want, and will they have anything left over? Who cares what that 'tax free' salary means in the UK, for you'll be living in the UAE and paying UAE prices.
DXBtoDOH, You clearly don't understand what I've discussed previously about this. Perhaps you have decided not to read it again or wish to just be deliberately difficult, whatever it is I don't have the desire to explain it again, you've totally missed the point and if you're going to be the same arrogant, patronising human you always are then I'd suggest you don't bother trying again.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

14Dhs?

****ing rip off....
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

DXBtoDOH, You clearly don't understand what I've discussed previously about this. Perhaps you have decided not to read it again or wish to just be deliberately difficult, whatever it is I don't have the desire to explain it again, you've totally missed the point and if you're going to be the same arrogant, patronising human you always are then I'd suggest you don't bother trying again.
But hey, if it all goes pear shaped, loans and cards are easy to get here so ramp up a few million in debt and do a runner....
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
14Dhs?

****ing rip off....
I thought you'd like that one. I even went low. Started at 18.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
But hey, if it all goes pear shaped, loans and cards are easy to get here so ramp up a few million in debt and do a runner....
Apparently so...
Old Apr 24th 2017, 1:03 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Not true. Have done it since I arrived here when it was north of 6.2.
Convert it to whatever you like.

I'm talking about having conversations with people who are making their first move overseas from the UK to the Middle East.

We regularly move people to another country on a lower salary package because of cost of living differences. They all know that what's important is what's left after cost of living. If you're not going to help or let people convert that back to pounds for whatever reason, then you're just going to leave them frustrated with a figure in Rupees.
Yeah but millions of Rupees
Old Apr 24th 2017, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Yeah but millions of Rupees
You definitely wouldn't want to work for us if you are after plural.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.