What's a proper watch?

Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's a proper watch?

Originally Posted by Scamp
.... part of the 0.1% who are so self satisfied they don't need any external gratification....at which point they're smug which means they sort of do need it, through smugness.

Well. That's what I reckon anyway.
I reckon you're right, and you have explained Prius drivers very nicely - driving a hybrid isn't enough, and there are plenty to choose from, but they need to drive a weird-shaped car so everyone will know that they care about saving the world.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I reckon you're right, and you have explained Prius drivers very nicely - driving a hybrid isn't enough, and there are plenty to choose from, but they need to drive a weird-shaped car so everyone will know that they care about saving the world.
If a vegan does crossfit, what do they tell you about first?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I wear a Seiko every day, and I looked at a replacement, but I found it hard to find a Seiko for MORE than about $150 - they are perfectly respectable "every day" watches, but there aren't any even moderately fancy Seikos, at least not that I could find.

My mother bought me a watch last year, she wanted to buy me a fancy one, and I settled for a Tissot - a nice Swiss watch, but not silly money. They seem to start around $400, and come in a variety of styles, some are "automatic", most are quartz. I only wear mine on special occasions - mostly nights out with Mrs P, but Iike it enough that I might get some others in different styles in future.
Google Grand Seiko. I think you'll be in for a surprise. They're very highly regarded however most people would dismiss them because they think they're 'just a seiko'.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 1:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Google Grand Seiko. I think you'll be in for a surprise. They're very highly regarded however most people would dismiss them because they think they're 'just a Seiko'.
Hmmm, they never showed up on my search for a Seiko. That said, I'm inclined to agree, they are the Hyundai Genesis of watches.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, they never showed up on my search for a Seiko. That said, I'm inclined to agree, they are the Hyundai Genesis of watches.
unfortunately the Grand Seikos are well overpriced in Dubai. The watch shop opposite Carrefour in MOE sells them.

Quality is supposed to be right up there with Rolex. would love to have the GS Snowflake

Old Jan 16th 2017, 5:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Grand Seiko seems to me like buying a Patrol instead of a Range Rover. Quality might be up there, so might the price tag, but you'll look down and see NISSAN.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

would compare it more to buying a lexus rather than a bmw.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm losing interest in this thread by the second. It must be time to close it.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
would compare it more to buying a lexus rather than a bmw.
Grand Seiko - the Alan Partridge of watches?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm losing interest in this thread by the second. It must be time to close it.
I remember when you were nice.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Grand Seiko seems to me like buying a Patrol instead of a Range Rover. Quality might be up there, so might the price tag, but you'll look down and see NISSAN.
People that buy a Patrol over RR obviously know their onions and see passed the badge (I had one). I expect most RR buyers buy them simply because of the badge.

The same is probably true for 90% (maybe higher) of luxury watch buyers. They invariably don't care what's on the inside. I expect the majority wouldn't even know the difference between quartz and automatic.

I'd add that I wouldn't buy a Grand Seiko. Certainly not at some of the prices i've seen (£5k+).
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CeeBee
People that buy a Patrol over RR obviously know their onions and see passed the badge (I had one). I expect most RR buyers buy them simply because of the badge.

The same is probably true for 90% (maybe higher) of luxury watch buyers. They invariably don't care what's on the inside. I expect the majority wouldn't even know the difference between quartz and automatic.

I'd add that I wouldn't buy a Grand Seiko. Certainly not at some of the prices i've seen (£5k+).
Disagree on the Patrol. They're nice but I'd have the new RR over one every day of the week.

I refer the honorable gentleman to the below;

Like everything, cars - houses - shoes - clothes - etc
That then projects the image that I'm wealthy or doing well or better than others, which, as a human is what 99.9% of us want to be able to do. Showing off is totally natural, normal and part of being a human being. People who deride it are closet liars or part of the 0.1% who are so self satisfied they don't need any external gratification....at which point they're smug which means they sort of do need it, through smugness.

Also, just think how much easier it is if you own a Rolex. Everyone knows a Rolex. But explaining that the Grand Seiko you own (not you obviously, but 'you') was more expensive than X Rolex and is better made and better at this or that. It would get really tiring really quickly.
The average man in the street wouldn't instantly know that you're wearing a £5,000++ watch and therefore how great you are, you'd have to stop him and explain it isn't £149.99 in H Samuel.

Doesn't work.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Like everything, cars - houses - shoes - clothes - etc
I drive a pretty crap car by 2017 standards, so later this year may change it at flippin' last. I could replace it with something similar but I won't, I want something nicer.

That then projects the image that I'm wealthy or doing well or better than others, which, as a human is what 99.9% of us want to be able to do. Showing off is totally natural, normal and part of being a human being. People who deride it are closet liars or part of the 0.1% who are so self satisfied they don't need any external gratification....at which point they're smug which means they sort of do need it, through smugness.

If you want to buy a nice car just do it rather than try to justify it to yourself

Personally I find the spending on outright bling, such as some of the watches in this thread, indicates to me a lack of success or a superficial attempt to portray a successful image.
Successful enough to buy a watch, the most recent iphone by credit card or a new car on loan repayments.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Disagree on the Patrol. They're nice but I'd have the new RR over one every day of the week.

I refer the honorable gentleman to the below;

Also, just think how much easier it is if you own a Rolex. Everyone knows a Rolex. But explaining that the Grand Seiko you own (not you obviously, but 'you') was more expensive than X Rolex and is better made and better at this or that. It would get really tiring really quickly.
The average man in the street wouldn't instantly know that you're wearing a £5,000++ watch and therefore how great you are, you'd have to stop him and explain it isn't £149.99 in H Samuel.

Doesn't work.
It would get tiring and you'd come across as a right bore / nerd.

If it's recognition for badge status over form and function people want they could just as easily go and get a Karama special as the average Joe wouldn't tell the difference. You can't really do that with cars.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Men with small penises, shiny suits and pointy shoes wear bling/ drive bling cars. They're never/ever to be trusted.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Men with small penises, shiny suits and pointy shoes wear bling/ drive bling cars. They're never/ever to be trusted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.