What's a proper watch?

Old Jan 14th 2017, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's a proper watch?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Wow, a £10k+ watch that still works after 8 years. Who'd have thunk it?
Wow, a guy that thinks a Spitfire bought years ago was £10k makes a dumb statement, quelle surprise!

By still going strong, I meant it has never been serviced ( recommended every 2.5 yrs)
Old Jan 14th 2017, 7:39 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Wow, a guy that thinks a Spitfire bought years ago was £10k makes a dumb statement, quelle surprise!

I meant it has never been serviced ( recommended every 2.5 yrs)
Is this some kind of meta irony? Or do you also not know the price of a Spitfire bought years ago?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Is this some kind of meta irony? Or do you also not know the price of a Spitfire bought years ago?
Of course I know the price of a Spitfire bought years ago, I'm the one that bloody bought it
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:44 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

By still going strong, I meant it has never been serviced ( recommended every 2.5 yrs)
Yeah, well of course EVERYONE knows a) that the picture is of an IWC Spitfire (just so you're clear: probably no-one on here knew, and I only found out by googling), and b) that they didn't cost £10k 8 years ago. That's sarcasm, in case you didn't realise.

The dumb statement was yours: "still working fine" after 8 years, as if that's remarkable. Perhaps even dumber not to have it serviced if you spent £8k (go one, tell me a wrong -- everyone's dying to know) and didn't have it serviced.

Still, no doubt you like the passive-aggresive understated swank equivalent. There may be a superfluous "s" in there.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
How about a Nomos?
Looks smart but not flashy.
I'm pretty sure they didn't make a smart version of this. This does not allow you to text people or read your messages.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I find it hard to believe that these things appreciate.

The prices of new ones go up. That's called inflation. At best I imagine that you might be able to sell a second hand (gettit) one for the price that you paid for it.

This is not a liquid market.

This logic may not hold for super rare specials but the average semi-mass produced one isn't going to fare well. They are not rare- I can go and buy any of these in Dubai mall tomorrow.

That's the truth folks.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Yeah, well of course EVERYONE knows a) that the picture is of an IWC Spitfire (just so you're clear: probably no-one on here knew, and I only found out by googling), and b) that they didn't cost £10k 8 years ago. That's sarcasm, in case you didn't realise.

The dumb statement was yours: "still working fine" after 8 years, as if that's remarkable. Perhaps even dumber not to have it serviced if you spent £8k (go one, tell me a wrong -- everyone's dying to know) and didn't have it serviced.

Still, no doubt you like the passive-aggresive understated swank equivalent. There may be a superfluous "s" in there.
I have no idea what the bolded part is meant to mean?

As for the rest, my takeaway is that you are pre disposed to making up random facts to fit a missed attempt at humour. (that's a shot, in case you didn't realise)
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:26 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Update:

I've lost interest now. Was just a passing fancy

I'll admit this thread went a long way to helping me back away. If I'm going to spend 20k on something I'd rather have another African safari.

But if I see a cool looking orange watch I might just go for it
https://www.swatch.com/en_gb/watches/suuo400-sundowner/
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I find it hard to believe that these things appreciate.

The prices of new ones go up. That's called inflation. At best I imagine that you might be able to sell a second hand (gettit) one for the price that you paid for it.

This is not a liquid market.

This logic may not hold for super rare specials but the average semi-mass produced one isn't going to fare well. They are not rare- I can go and buy any of these in Dubai mall tomorrow.

That's the truth folks.
Shit. I thought it was going to be a retirement fund.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Sorry, I had your budget pegged in £.

So for about 5k QAR I'd think of Seiko, some very nice watches.

Then again, if it's going to be wasted on a watch why not on something else you really want?
I wear a Seiko every day, and I looked at a replacement, but I found it hard to find a Seiko for MORE than about $150 - they are perfectly respectable "every day" watches, but there aren't any even moderately fancy Seikos, at least not that I could find.

My mother bought me a watch last year, she wanted to buy me a fancy one, and I settled for a Tissot - a nice Swiss watch, but not silly money. They seem to start around $400, and come in a variety of styles, some are "automatic", most are quartz. I only wear mine on special occasions - mostly nights out with Mrs P, but Iike it enough that I might get some others in different styles in future.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has become a wind up.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day a nice watch, no matter how much you spend on it, is just an instrument of vanity. That's all there is to it.

(it doesn't help that whilst browsing duty free yesterday I spotted a pair of Essex boys in their lacoste and trainers shouting 'oi Kev and oi Stevie' to each other as they compared the pros and cons of various quite expensive watches).
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
https://www.swatch.com/en_gb/watches/suuo400-sundowner/
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You're starting to tick me off.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
At the end of the day a nice watch, no matter how much you spend on it, is just an instrument of vanity. That's all there is to it.
Like everything, cars - houses - shoes - clothes - etc
I drive a pretty crap car by 2017 standards, so later this year may change it at flippin' last. I could replace it with something similar but I won't, I want something nicer.

That then projects the image that I'm wealthy or doing well or better than others, which, as a human is what 99.9% of us want to be able to do. Showing off is totally natural, normal and part of being a human being. People who deride it are closet liars or part of the 0.1% who are so self satisfied they don't need any external gratification....at which point they're smug which means they sort of do need it, through smugness.

Well. That's what I reckon anyway.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Like everything, cars - houses - shoes - clothes - etc
I drive a pretty crap car by 2017 standards, so later this year may change it at flippin' last. I could replace it with something similar but I won't, I want something nicer.

That then projects the image that I'm wealthy or doing well or better than others, which, as a human is what 99.9% of us want to be able to do. Showing off is totally natural, normal and part of being a human being. People who deride it are closet liars or part of the 0.1% who are so self satisfied they don't need any external gratification....at which point they're smug which means they sort of do need it, through smugness.

Well. That's what I reckon anyway.
That's simply your financial personality. Many people like nice things, others don't much care.

I wrote about this recently and talked about it on the last radio show.

https://financialuae.me/2017/01/09/w...sonality-type/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.